[DECORATE] Monster Contest - Winners! (p12)

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Tormentor667

[DECORATE] Monster Contest - Winners! (p12)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Dear ZDoomers,
as the maintainer of the Realm667 Beastiary - the (hopefully ;)) N°1 source for all new monster needs in case you can't draw or script your own - I am always looking for new material, that's when I thought:

Time for a Contest!

Most of us Doomers aren't able to create decent sprites, as it's a very hard thing. Edits on already created sprites, recolors or patchworks are more common then what Vader, Scuba Steve and Eriance are capable of. But what about the code itself?

In my eyes, a good monster isn't only if it catches the players attention, a good monster is as well a monster that acts different and makes up for a good challenge when the player faces it the first time.

For this contest, the main aim isn't simply to create a nice recolor, patchwork or cool new sprites, the main aim is to create a monster with an interesting behaviour, cool and challenging attacks or something that you haven't seen in Doom yet (but maybe in other games?)

So what are the rules?
  • Save your monster and all the necessary data in one WAD
  • You MAY add new sounds (recommended)
  • You MAY add complete new sprites (recommended)
  • You MAY use sprites from Blood, Duke3D, Wolf3D, Doom1/2, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Shadow Warrior, Blake Stone (and variants such as skin edits) as well as alter, recolor or create a patchwork between several monsters (recommended)
  • You have NO decorate limits
  • MUST work with the latest GZDoom release!
  • You MAY submit more than only 1 contribution
  • You MAY use paletted PNGs
You got the point? Then don't waste time and start with your creature ;) There is btw no deadline but try to come with something up quickly ;) Good entries will certainly be added to the Realm667 Beastiary, I swear ;)

Cheers, Fun & Good Luck,
Torm

Contributions Deadline is November 1st![/b]
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:37 am, edited 14 times in total.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

the boss from zpack is my entry :)

it has a cool behavior :D

tough i could make another monster too 8-)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Do another one, and link the spider here :)

check the zpack forums and the boss thread.. i uploaded it there for 2 days ago...
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, sure, but it's public and others might want to take a look at the monster as well, and I won't do that for you :P BTW: It's cool ;)

well i dont just want to ruin the fun :P i mean if we will use it as a boss or something then everyone knows the boss and blaha blah because i posted it up here :D

well whatever :P i got a idea of a Greater Demon :D with lotsa funkky decorate stuff /me begins decorating :D

Offtopic: torm :D have you seen keksdoses nuke?? :D its fun to play with^^
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Ooh! I'm interested! Maybe I'll submit the 'Maxibus' I've been working on.
Gez

Post by Gez »

CaptainToenail wrote:Ooh! I'm interested! Maybe I'll submit the 'Maxibus' I've been working on.
The name alone is a winner. :lol:
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:Offtopic: torm :D have you seen keksdoses nuke?? :D its fun to play with^^
Ruh-oh, three days ago I made a nuke and now it's prominent! XD

Anyway, I might do something for this contest... I have the idea for a thunder-vile. It WILL feature edits, don't worry, no crappy recolor :D
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

This mean I can use sprites from say...... bouncy's ripped might and magic stuff?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

# You MAY use sprites from Blood, Duke3D, Wolf3D, Doom1/2, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Shadow Warrior (and variants such as skin edits) as well as alter, recolor or create a patchwork between several monsters (recommended)
# You have NO decorate limits
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

While it acts much like a combo between a spectre and a lost soul, the bezekira: Image
, due to it's alpha level and color, is less visible the brighter the area you're in. It's much easier to see it in dark areas, by the way.

I just thought it's a nice alternative to spectres because of it's rather unique visibility. I attached it to this post.

Also, I'm working on a recolor of the Heresy Lord, called the Balor. It's like a baron boss. It'll be able to summon help, teleport around (without the use of teleport functions, so it's not limited), and will have nasty projectile and hitscan attacks. I wanted to give it a sword and put a different head on it, but I don't have the skill for it.
Attachments
Bezekira.zip
Here's the monster
(87.89 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I suspect that submissions will be naturally more impressive when they have their own sprites/resources. That's all well and good but, to level the playing field, how about a sub category of "best decorate only monster" using only the resources normally found in doom2.wad? Then there truly would be "No Sprite Skills Required" for that category at least.

i think new spirtes should be used... think if someone makes a masterpiece that looks like a spectre.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Oh, for the record, those sprites were made by Eriance, I just increased the brightness and tanked the saturation :P.

The bezekira is to the hell hound as the spectre is to the demon.

Edit: Ack, I just realized I forgot to give it a damage value for its leap attack. Just make it the same as its melee damage.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”