Doom Reloaded

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Weapons that fire a single bullet will always fire any bullets in the fire state perfectly accurate. The default chaingun is like this. If you tap the fire button, the first two bullets will always hit their mark. Only bullets fired in the hold state are inaccurate.

To get around this, set the number of bullets in A_FireBullets to a negative value, say -1, so they don't ignore the spread values.

For more information, read this entry on A_FireBullets in the wiki.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Ah. Well, I totally missed that when I went there, which was several times. Thanks for pointing it out.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

*** Update ***

Alright, this is more of a tweak update. First of all, I fixed the reloading animations a bit. Like, the plasma gun works a bit different. He switches the switch on the side - supposedly to an "off" position - before pulling the magazine out. The gun does this automatically if it runs out of ammo. The he turns it back on again after reloading. Before, he used the switch to kind of "cock" the gun after reloading, which didn't really make sense for an energy weapon.

I fixed up the super shotgun completely. It has better sounds, and you can see the un-spent shell in the left chamber if you only fired the right one before reloading.

I also fixed the timing on the reloading animations. Like, there's more time spend when he's about to pull the magazine out and right after he puts it in. It gives it a much more "firm" feel to his actions.

Finally, something completely new: guns eject brass! You can actually see spent casings fly out of your guns when you fire, and the gun-toting enemies do the same. And those casings you see aren't part of the firing animation, they're separate object. If you fire the chaingun and turn right or move backwards, you can see the continuous stream falling to the floor. Spent shotgun shell casings also make a sound when they hit the floor... well, sort of. They just make a sound. I don't quite have it set up so they actually react to hitting the floor by making a sound. I think I'll head over to the editing forum, because I have some questions about that business.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

That sounds pretty cool. I can't wait to play the next release. :)
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Huh...? That IS the next release. Go to the first post and download it! Or, did you mean you can't wait to see what I'll do next?

Though recently I've been making even more changes. I think this is turning into a full-blown mod, instead of just a Doom tweak. Like, I'm adding new types of ammo, rifle rounds and special super-powerful shotgun rounds. The rifle rounds are for the chaingun and, yes, a rifle I plan to make. The shotgun rounds are for the super shotgun. I realized that I made the original shotgun so awesome that you wouldn't really ever use the super shotgun, even if I streamlined it. So, I'm instead kind of making it a real "super weapon," where it fires extra-powerful shots, but the ammo for it is sparse.

I've actually set up the guns to use their new ammo, so you can't really play Doom anymore as I haven't changed levels to have the ammo or anything. You can IDFA it though. Oh, the zombiemen drop Rifles, but its just ammo. I haven't actually made the weapon yet.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Oh, I didn't realize you had posted the next version. :oops:
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Okay, I've played your recent version of Reloaded, and here are some criticisms:
*The monsters are way too fast and strong. They really need to be toned down quite a bit, as this mod is kind of unplayable.

*The shotgun doesn't feel strong enough. This could be a by-product of the monsters' strength.

*I like your custom animations a lot, especially the plasma gun! However, some of the weapons don't have enough frames and look awkward while animating. This is especially true of the pistol's firing animation. It just jumps up and down really quickly and it doesn't look very convincing. Try giving it a brief recoil animation where the gun pops back in the players hands. Try modifying your reload animations for this effect.

*On that note, the shotgun's cocking animation is really jittery. A few more intermediate frames of the player pulling the pump back would be nice. It would also be cool if he pumped it different ways after firing. Say, sometimes he cocks it over his shoulder. You could modify your custom reload animation for this purpose. The reload needs more frames as well, as the player's hand just jumps up and down while reloading.

*In general, there aren't enough frames of animation. This goes with the above. Like the pistol, most weapons don't have convincing recoil frames. I would expect something like a shotgun or coach gun, loaded with the right ammunition, to really kick. You don't have to create entirely new frames for this. Since you're using centered weapon graphics, what I do is take the idle frame, take it into my paint program of choice, and slightly resize the weapon. Then, I play this frame right after the weapon flash. It's a really simple but effective effect!

*The coach gun's (super shotgun) reload animation is a little too fast. I want to be able to admire your custom frames and the player reloading the weapon. :)

*I love the chaingun's reload animation! However, you only really get to admire the new body of the weapon during those animations. Is there any way you could add the body to the idle and firing frames?

*Are you going to add the assault rifle? I find it odd that you can pick one up but not use it.

Sorry if that was a bit much. :) Most of this is rather nitpicky or a matter of opinion. I like what you've done with this mod so far and would like to see you improve the aesthetics just a wee bit. If you tone down the monsters and improve the animations you could easily make this something really special. :D If you need any help with anything, be sure to ask. I've made a few unreleased mods myself, so I can understand how difficult it is to get everything the way you want it.

Can't wait to see what else you have in store!
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Well, I'm already taking this to heart. And to be honest, I've decided to take a completely different approach to this mod. Basically, I'm starting over. But this time I'm using GZDoom, and I'm going to do some 3D modeling for the guns, then I'll take screenshots of them and use those pictures for the gun animations. I've been wanting to do 3D modeling for a while now, and here' s my excuse. I'm thinking I'll like it better than spriting, as I just have to make one model and take pictures of it in different positions.

So, give me some time while I get a handle on both modeling and GZDoom's things. Hopefully it won't be TOO long before you see something (maybe within a week?). I'm gonna start with the pistol.

I'll probably just set the enemies back to normal with the next release, and change them after I'm done with the weapons.

Time to re-initialize the first post.
eliw00d

Post by eliw00d »

Darlos wrote:Well, I'm already taking this to heart. And to be honest, I've decided to take a completely different approach to this mod. Basically, I'm starting over. But this time I'm using GZDoom, and I'm going to do some 3D modeling for the guns, then I'll take screenshots of them and use those pictures for the gun animations. I've been wanting to do 3D modeling for a while now, and here' s my excuse. I'm thinking I'll like it better than spriting, as I just have to make one model and take pictures of it in different positions.

So, give me some time while I get a handle on both modeling and GZDoom's things. Hopefully it won't be TOO long before you see something (maybe within a week?). I'm gonna start with the pistol.

I'll probably just set the enemies back to normal with the next release, and change them after I'm done with the weapons.

Time to re-initialize the first post.
wow. maybe you could help me out! i've been wanting to make a new mod for some time, but lack of good weapon resources (that fit what i want) has stopped me. i've wanted to model, too, but i can't skin and i wouldn't know how to get it into a doom format.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Vaecrius wrote:[tangent] Like I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me the Doomguy is cross-dominant: he prefers to use his left hand, but aims with his right eye.[/tangent]
I'm left handed, but aim with my right eye. o_o

Edit: Oh yeah, probably uses the shotty right handed because of the shell ejection system isn't made for lefties.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Some shotguns actually eject spent casings from the bottom. You can always get left-handed weapons, too. But I know what you mean. :P
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Wonder how much it costs to convert a right handed shotgun to left handed...? They really should have selectors for those ambi people.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

I was playing counterstrike, and I realized that when you switch the option between being right and left handed, the gun reverses entirely. Like, suddenly the bolt/ejection port is on the other side. I don't know if thats them being lazy or its actually reflecting reality.

I mean, I'm sure its perfectly possible to reverse the mechanisms of a gun like that. But I'm sure they're less common. And if you're the doom guy, you can't expect zombie soldiers to drop left-handed shotguns for you. Now, he'll start with a rifle, so maybe I'll make that left-handed because its his. That'd be cool.

Looking at pictures of guns on wikipedia, seems like ejection ports are usually on the right side of the gun. Makes sense if you're holding it right-handed... which means counterstrike is completely backwards because you can always see the ejection port, and the spent casings always eject past your view. Oops.

Methinks that with a gun that ejected downward, you would end up having the spent casings hit your arm sometimes if you hold it just wrong. Side-ejection probably makes the most sense.

Glad we had this conversation. I feel a bit more in perspective now for when I make the gun models.

http://www.mrfa.org/m16.htm Something fun I just found. Go old-school military.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I've fired an Infield left handed with my forearm bare. Big mistake- the powder burned my skin a bit. Either I have to fire the thing right handed or cover my right forearm.
Darlos

Post by Darlos »

Just a quick update: I have the pistol model itself mostly done. Here's a preview of it. Now I need to figure out textures, as well as whatever details I need to add to this thing.

The colors don't really reflect what it'll look like in the end. I just wanted to differentiate between the two parts: the body and the slide.

The pistol will probably take me a while simply because I've never done this before. Hopefully with later guns I'll be more on a roll.
Attachments
PistolPreview.jpg
PistolPreview.jpg (22.36 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

Return to “Levels”