[WIP] Bloodshot [New! Screenshots 3/7] [Please look?]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, OK, maybe the texture themes aren't so much clashing as the textures themselves being very garish and '94 in their implementation. Just take a look at the first room. That ceiling of FLOOR1_7 is an instant assault on the eyes and a very '94 look. Also, quite a few of the lights on that texture are cut off by things like walls. Straight ahead there is a computer tower thingy with panels cut off half way because of the corners. The steps use the same lower texture as the walls and would be much better (IMO) as something that looked a bit more step-like. In addition, the walls being STARTAN3 (which is a bit of a damaged/distressed looking texture) is actually in contrast with the very red, very clean ceiling. Texture alignment in this room (and beyond) generally could be a lot better. Door alcoves particularly seem to catch you out with many of them needing Y alignment. Also, to align textures above and below a window, give them the same Y offset value as nearby walls but set the upper and lower unpegged flags and they will line up properly in the Y direction.

Another area that hurt my eyes was the bit with GRAY7 walls and a great expanse of FLAT20 on the floor. I've always found large areas of that FLAT to look a bit much. What's more, this room is very bright but it has no strong light sources (CEIL4_3 doesn't count). Some subtlety to the lighting, and some reason for there to be light would help. In fact generally you've done quite a bit of illogical lighting, especially related to flashing lights. You have used (abused?) flashing lights specials all over the place. Often these are in places where there aren't any light sources - so what precisely is supposed to be flashing on and off?

I'll also send you a PM with some stuff you may find useful.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Let's see. There are some misaligned textures that I see. It appeared that some strife monsters didn't fit well with some textures. Also, the acolyte problem has been listed, so I will just forget about that.

I believe that there was no point in putting strife monsters with doom monsters together because they seem to be doing the same thing or somewhat similar. All of the imps sounds are rather annoying. I prefer the old Doom sounds.

For the weapons, it felt a little uncomfortable with the chaingun at slot 5. If you plan to not have a rocket replacement, I think your levels will seem pretty difficult without them, considering that monsters are generally clustered together.

I had some fun with it though. I say all around average IMO.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Holy shit. Thanks a 'lot,' Enjay. Seriously. All this information (plus the demo and other WAD you PMed me) have totally changed my outlook towards building Doom levels.

Y'see, this is actually the first map I've done in like two years. And I just kinda went with what I remembered and picked up a few things here and there. There's a lot of stuff I just plain didn't know was the, uh, standard? Or even possible. I had no idea about the Upper and Lower Unpegged flags or anything like that. And the advice on textures matching up and stuff is good, too.

Thing is, after seeing what you've done with just that one room, I'm very surprised and stuff. I guess I really am in 1994 mode.

As for there being "no point" in adding the Strife monsters...Well, there really isn't, but (and again, this may be my ADD) I'm just very bored overall with just the plain Doom monsters. I didn't want to add too many more powerful monsters like Hell Knights and Cacodemons because...well, frankly, I just don't like fighting them on a regular basis. Might just be me.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Added some new info about the "phases" of this. Basically, I'm abandoning my plans to avoid lots of modern-day features in favour of some detail and stuff.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

New screenshots, yo.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Rereleased the one-map demo. You guys seriously wanna check this out--it's SO MUCH of an improvement. Whether you played the first demo or not, it's just a good map.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

STILL doesn't run on anything past ZDoom 2.1.7. Don't use SKIP_SUPER, dammit.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

I wasn't aware I was using that. Whassat? >.> I just looked in my whole DECORATE and it's not in there.

And it doesn't run on anything beyond 2.1.7 because...I don't have the SVN build. >.>
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Actor DeadRebelTrooper starting line 275.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Oh, hey, you're right.

Why am I even inheriting him from the Rebel Trooper anyway? I don't give a damn about keeping with Doom's programming traditions. >.>

Sorry. The next one will have this fixed.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Map02 has entered Phase II. The requirements for this is just being finished as an actual level, start to finish. Phase II is all the detail and balancing and shit.
Desert_Fox

Post by Desert_Fox »

Heh, that was a very good level.

I like how it all seems to be big but one door leads you to the beginning. But one of the bad things was it took me a while to realise I had already opened the exit door because there was no indication I had already done so.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Hm. Perhaps I should change that activation switch to a script that opens the door and prints a message akin to, I dunno, "Exit door opened?"

There's already a script on that exit door that says it's opened another way, so.

I wish there was more feedback, I dunno if it's really good or not or if I should keep working on it before doing the others. Or if anybody else is actually playing it.
Desert_Fox

Post by Desert_Fox »

This is a very good project, I'll support you. Keep going, and don't worry you'll get pleny more feedback.
Onslaught Six

Re: [WIP] New Project: Bloodshot [New! One-Map Demo Released]

Post by Onslaught Six »

The good news (for those that liked this): It isn't dead!

The bad news: I have nothing to show!

I've been working on Map01 almost nonstop for like a week now. It's really good stuff. There's a ton of new rooms so far--though I may have ended up uninspired and without any originality towards the very last of them. Even so, it's really spiffy stuff, and playing through this one makes the old Map02-05 pale in comparison. They'll all need a ton more work to actually be up to the par I've now set for myself. (I also made a 'ton' of really, really bad-looking texture and design decisions.)

Tomorrow, I may have some new screenshots, or something.

Return to “Levels”