Harbinger 2.0

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
LilWhiteMouse

Harbinger 2.0

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

One of my projects has been cannibalized into other things (Queen's Crusade for example), and I've got a boss monster left over that I'm never gonna use in it's current state, so anyone want it?
You can't just drop in a level, as there's a fair amount of prep and limitation to it. It needs large open flat spaces to move, as it isn't designed to change heights. There's also a fair number of TIDs used, including it's intended victims. I'd include a demo level so you wouldn't have to translate my instructions to make it work.

Play wise, it's meant to be taken on by a small army. It has four different attacks: Magma Cannons, eye beams, Suicide Souls, and the belly gun.
- The Magma Cannons (top turret) fire two shots that explode into pools of magma, damaging anything that wanders into it. The pools dissipate after a time. The cannons are turreted so their attack is independant of the core.
- The eye beams fire up to eight shots from the eyes (duh), but each beam can target a different enemy in front of it.
- The Suicide Souls launch vertically from it's rear abdomen, then shoot off in the direction of a random target.
- The belly gun will shoot at anything that get's into it's range immediatly. The belly gun is also turreted, so like the cannons, it attacks on it's own.
- Not really an attack, but the impact from feet can also damage things standing nearby.

To kill it, you must destroy all six of it's legs, as well as the two turrets. The legs and turrets all have destroyed states. The damaged legs will simply drag along as the monster moves, and will reduce it's speed. When all the legs are destroyed, it can no longer move, only rotate.

[EDIT]
Here it is, such as it is. Warp to map01.
http://home.midmaine.com/~lilwhitemo/harbinger.7z
Last edited by LilWhiteMouse on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

you've just inspired an idea for one of my monsters that i didnt have an design for. :3

Is there a tutorial on how to make a multi-parted monster anywhere? D:
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I can imagine someone could put it to good use. Can we see it anyway? It looks rad.

PS. stop scrapping projects :P
Risen

Post by Risen »

Wow. That sounds really impressive.

I probably don't have a use for it, myself, but I'd really love to download and view the demo. Hell, it might be fun all by itself for some cooperative play.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I want it, it could be used for something. :P
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

A multi-parted boss monster in doom? That's quite interesting. :)
Xaeverion

Post by Xaeverion »

I might have use for that, but it'd be a long time before I make the map to plunk it in.
Arcane

Re: Harbringer boss monster

Post by Arcane »

Jesus, stop being so awesome, LWM. :O

Every time I think "nobody's gonna do anything interesting. Things are stagnating." you whip something awesome from somewhere.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Here it is, such as it is. Warp to map02.
http://home.midmaine.com/~lilwhitemo/harbringer.zip
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

That was one of the coolest bosses I have ever seen.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

It's one of the HARDEST bosses I've ever seen
Lamneth

Post by Lamneth »

Very difficult but still awesome. Difficulty could probably be fixed with a different arena/ammo adjustment and such. Feels like I'm a ground level unit in some kind of RTS like Supreme Commander fighting one of the huge experimental units.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Pretty frickin' epic :D

And like Cutty said, stop scrapping projects :P
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Lamneth wrote:Difficulty could probably be fixed with a different arena/ammo adjustment and such.
Enviroment plays a big role with this one. It was designed in an urban map. The buildings were destructable, but for a time at least they'd provide cover.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Truly a difficult and great boss.

Return to “Resources”