[WIP] Demon Wars - An enhancement mod..

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Don't worry, your gore was pretty damn ass legendary too, Kinsie. I'm sorry I couldn't use them, but I fear that (and DES' old gore. :o) would slow down my computer down a bit too much.

But still, thanks a lot for reminding me. *Updates credits*
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

solarsnowfall wrote:What? I get no credit? Even though you're using my shit all over the place? I don't even get a mention? Even though I had to put up with your relentless pestering?

Don't ever expect help from me again.
Well, holy freaking mackerel. Just remind him a bit, you don't have to use your Imp claws.
Last edited by Captain Ventris on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Blade Nightflame wrote:Don't worry, your gore was pretty damn ass legendary too, Kinsie. I'm sorry I couldn't use them, but I fear that (and DES' old gore. :o) would slow down my computer down a bit too much.

Heh, still, on the bright side this mod has shown me how certain things I want to do, like Don's Challenge-esque "chance of the player screaming obscenities when attacking" thing, should be done in Zdoom, so in all I'll probably crib off this mod for code help in future projects :P

Also, if you have my gore mod you have an OOOOOLD version - I've been working on it again recently, and I'll be releasing it soon, although slowdown's still a bit of a problem, but it's generally fine as long as you're not using the Kill Monsters cheat or playing Mock 2.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Uhm, sorry i may be dumb, but how do i extract .7z files? I've tried with Total Commander, didnt work, neither with WinZip.

Anyways this looks(sounds) promising. :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Dancso wrote:Uhm, sorry i may be dumb, but how do i extract .7z files? I've tried with Total Commander, didnt work, neither with WinZip.

Use WinRAR or 7zip.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Kinsie wrote:
Dancso wrote:Uhm, sorry i may be dumb, but how do i extract .7z files? I've tried with Total Commander, didnt work, neither with WinZip.

Use WinRAR or 7zip.
Okay, thank you.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Kinsie wrote:
Blade Nightflame wrote:Don't worry, your gore was pretty damn ass legendary too, Kinsie. I'm sorry I couldn't use them, but I fear that (and DES' old gore. :o) would slow down my computer down a bit too much.

Heh, still, on the bright side this mod has shown me how certain things I want to do, like Don's Challenge-esque "chance of the player screaming obscenities when attacking" thing, should be done in Zdoom, so in all I'll probably crib off this mod for code help in future projects :P
That's easy, for things like when he slams his fist into a wall, you could have 'DamageType' for the fist puff be something like 'Curse' (in the sense that swearing is cursing, etc.), so it goes to the Pain.Curse state and you A_PlaySoundEx a soundfile there.

Idle and missile states are coded like this to eventually play such and such sounds, although it has it's problems, sure.

Code: Select all

Spawn:
	PLAY A 0
	PLAY A 0 A_Jump(18,Idle) //Idle state
      PLAY A -1
      Loop
   See:
      PLAY ABCD 4
      Loop
   Idle:
	PLAY A 0 A_PlaySoundEx("player/idle",Voice,0)
      Goto See
   Missile:
	PLAY E 0 A_Jump(14,Missile.Laugh)
      PLAY E 12
      Goto Spawn
   Missile.Laugh:
	PLAY E 0 A_PlaySoundEx("player/xdeathlaugh",Voice,0)
      Goto Missile
   XDeath:
	PLAY O 0 A_SpawnDebris("NashGore_Gib9",0)
	PLAY O 0 A_SpawnDebris("NashGore_Gib10",0)
	PLAY O 0 A_SpawnDebris("NashGore_Gib11",0)
	PLAY O 0 A_SpawnDebris("NashGore_Gib11",0)
	PLAY O 0 A_SpawnItem("NashGore_GibGenerator",0,0,0,0)
      PLAY O 5 A_PlayerSkinCheck(AltSkinXDeath)
	PLAY P 0 A_SkullPop
	PLAY P 0 A_SpawnItem("NashGore_GibGenerator",0,0,0,0)
      PLAY P 5 A_XScream
	PLAY Q 0 A_SpawnItem("NashGore_GibGenerator",0,0,0,0)
      PLAY Q 5 A_NoBlocking
	PLAY R 0 A_SpawnItem("NashGore_GibGenerator",0,0,0,0)
      PLAY RSTUV 5
      PLAY W -1
      Stop
EDIT: That, and if you intend on playing with Demon Wars, you better not try to resurrect (after you extreme died.), since it'll be impossible. ;)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Alright, finally gave this version a shot... a few points:

1) Vast improvement on sound selection.

2) Y'know, maybe you should go back and make a note of each resource taken from somewhere else, just to be sure. A bit more documentation on what stuff does (e.g., the third altfire) would be nice too.

3) Keyconf needs updating - r is still bound to "+ransom_reload" rather than "+reload".

4) I get some kind of looping error when Map02 starts. Haven't been able to replicate it though.

5) Any chance on increasing the range on the grenade launcher? ^^;
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

There's another version that is MUCH better than this one, concerning sounds (The OGG implentation sucks major ass.)

1) Some sounds are already reverted (DSBAREXP, as an example).

2) Well, can't call it the 'third altfire', correctly, it'd be the 'third firing mode', or the 'second altfire'

But really, the third fire only serves as the melee attack for some weapons. (The Double Shotgun uses the third fire for the bayonet melee attack, the Assault Gun uses the third fire for a quick whack melee attack)

3) Odd, I'll get that one done.

4) Looping error? Wouldn't know about that.

5) Think it is, maybe I will, not sure.

There's a new enemy too, watch out for him as he is rather often, but vicious. :P
And, for the record, a custom HUD has been fully implented and inspired off Zero Tolerance's hud. Some sections (if not all, I'm afraid.) will look incredibly familiar to ZT's. Since I couldn't get it to work without referencing a LOT, it'll look almost the same.

And TRY spot more mistakes. This wad is huge and I can't keep releasing it always for the smallest of mistakes.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

2) Well, can't call it the 'third altfire', correctly, it'd be the 'third firing mode', or the 'second altfire'
addmenukey "Third Alternate Fire" thirdalt
alias thirdalt "use Action_ThirdFire"
defaultbind mouse2 thirdalt
Just sayin'.

As for the grenade launcher, I only suggest it because it seems like such a good weapon to get at the guys in the center tower on Map15, but the launcher's range is about 10' short of actually reaching those areas.

As for rerelease, one thing you can do is put all the multimedia in one file and all the code in another as alternate beta releases...
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

The scary thing is, now that I look at it, the sounds are what made the majority of DW's titanic size. Without the sounds, it's a measly 3 MB's. XP
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Alright, ladies and germs- er, gentlemen. . ;), yes, the new version has been uploaded. Go and download it if you wish. Hopefully it's enough by now. Beware the Trashyk.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Not bad, it's really starting to take on its own aesthetic now...

Bugs:

Super shotgun uses up ammo when it's available, but can be fired without ammo. Although I do kinda like this setup since I keep running out >_>
Is it just me or do all ambush monsters immediately come for you now?

Suggestions:

In the big download with both files, use zip instead of 7z (or put the zip in the 7z) so it's easier to play both wads at once.

Comments:

I've got this in my skins folder as my default map01 song... it works surprisingly well XD

I like the new water movement effect.

Uh... what's a Trashyk?
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

I dunno, I just made the darn thing (read: monster)up. Might as well make it into the same 'Forgotten' class of monsters (ie, Forgotten Soul), who are usually weaker in health but are dead-damn serious about killing the player to get to a higher rank.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Double post,

Final release.

Hopefully as many bugs as possible are ironed out,

Demon Wars
here is the link, also posted on the first page. The lights look best under GZDoom, but if you use it (the GL port) , it just shows why Randy could really work a bit harder for ZDoom and not go all 'WoW' on us. :(

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”