Headshots

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
LilWhiteMouse

Headshots

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

I was replaying GSC:RR while my active project mulls, and got to thinking that headshots should be possible now.

http://home.midmaine.com/~lilwhitemo/Headshot.zip

Zombiemen now have 10x their health, but they'll gib in one pistol shot if you hit their head. It's just a demonstration, so only the Zombiemen are set up for it. There's limitations on it's use, but it works for my needs.

[EDIT] I'd like to do height based damage: Head, torso, groin, and legs, but I need my feature request to do it. :\
ZDUser

Post by ZDUser »

I like this idea, it looks really good. I noticed that sometimes, when I aim at the head, it still hits the regular body and I have to be somewhat precise. Using the chaingun makes it easier, but it's still a good idea. Maybe it was meant to be like that, sorry.

Just wondering if gibbing the enemies could change to just simply be a normal death animation.

Of course, this is if it is accepted, and hopefully it will :wink:
Electronic Samurai

Post by Electronic Samurai »

Would you mind explaining how you did this? I can't make heads or tails of the ACS involved. For that matter, how do you make your stacked actors like Power Dolls?
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Electronic Samurai wrote:Would you mind explaining how you did this? I can't make heads or tails of the ACS involved. For that matter, how do you make your stacked actors like Power Dolls?
I would if I could, but you'd probably come out knowing less after my confusing explanations. I could try explaining specific elements, but a general how-to is beyond my social language skills. I teach and learn by example. Sorry.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

If you add this for all monster, you should make Baron, Cybers, Lost Souls, and Spiders take more damage than usual, not insta-kill.
The NUtcracker

Post by The NUtcracker »

@ZDUser It's fairly easy to get the headshot if you have autoaim on. Just aim higher than usual and it kills them.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Electronic Samurai wrote:Would you mind explaining how you did this? I can't make heads or tails of the ACS involved. For that matter, how do you make your stacked actors like Power Dolls?
She made a custom blood actor that runs a script to check it's Z position. If over a certain hieght it kills the actor it came from. A little sloppy, but it certainly does the trick.

It's pretty interresting though, it gives me ideas of how to do body part specific damage.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

LWM, you just rock, you realise that?

I just have a darn awesome idea involving the Spider Boss(/Mastermind) of E3M8 with this code, once I learn how it works ofcourse. :)
Sekto

Post by Sekto »

="Blade Nightflame"]LWM, you just rock, you realise that?
:shock:
any way, ive had the same idea for a long time, when i turned auto aming off you can shoot any where you want on a monster,
if auto aiming is on, how will head shots work?
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

I suppose a zombieman caught under a crusher would also wind up being an instant kill, too...
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Almost a waste of a crusher there though. :P
Sekto

Post by Sekto »

Shinjanji wrote:I suppose a zombieman caught under a crusher would also wind up being an instant kill, too...
no, it will proberly only be set up to BULLET,SHELLS only head shot, that you can choose for your game, or you can just walk up to a zombieman and punch him in the head, that would be stupid :)
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Shinjanji wrote:I suppose a zombieman caught under a crusher would also wind up being an instant kill, too...
I just tried map06 and the bloodsplatters appear in the middle of the actor, not it's top. So it doesn't cause a headshot.
ZDUser

Post by ZDUser »

The NUtcracker wrote:@ZDUser It's fairly easy to get the headshot if you have autoaim on. Just aim higher than usual and it kills them.
Autoaim was on when I aimed.
The NUtcracker

Post by The NUtcracker »

I mean to aim higher than the head with auto aim on.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”