Monster Wad Project in progress

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

i tried some more stuff again, and it still doesn't work.
It's official: I quit.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Do you think we learned by quitting, Bouncy?

Patience is a key element... Patience...

Patience is a virtue... virtue is a grace... Grace is a little girl who didn't wash her face. :P
BouncyTEM

Post by BouncyTEM »

well, here's the reasons why i did
1. I don't understand 1 word about any of it.
2. When i do it, the maps become horrible, no matter how many times i try.
3. I didn't want to be much of a map maker
4. The editors are confusing
5. From what i know, no tutorials to explain anything
6. I never understood any of it since 1995. [more of an info bit than a reason]
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Bouncy wrote:3. I didn't want to be much of a map maker
... And yet you make monsters... *sniffle*
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

Bouncy is the weirdest person ever :D
I can't (yet) make a single DECORATE monster and can't script for poop. And yet, I feel content with my mad Doom skillz, because I can map. I couldn't before. And felt bad. If now I knew scripting and decorate work, but couldn't map, I'd feel deprived. *nudges Bouncy in the ribs*

Don't you feel a hole in your life as a Doomer without a single 2-room map completed, friend Bouncy? I beg you, push it more, until you start to get it. You're lucky to start out in DoomBuilder too, while I have been to the burning hells of DEU and WadAuthor. :P
BouncyTEM

Post by BouncyTEM »

I still don't understand ANYTHING ABOUT MAP MAKING!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I don't even want to know what Wadauthor is, or DEU.
You have no idea how long i've been trying to make maps. I've started trying to make them back at around 1995 using WADED. couldn't do it then, either. Tried again frequently in 1995-2000, then in 2000, i quit. I was hoping that Doom Builder would be easier to understand, but it's the opposite. Then, today, i had to quit again, because of that.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

GAA MFLGD BALOO?
BouncyTEM

Post by BouncyTEM »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Bouncy, I just think you've had bad experience with sloppy editors before and are giving up too easily on DoomBuilder now. Actually, if you could get on ICQ or MSN, I'd be glad to walk you through every problem you have in real time.
BouncyTEM

Post by BouncyTEM »

i do have MSN.
Also, it's not that i'm giving up on Doom Builder, it's i don't understand anything on it.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Risen wrote:Doom's Wolf3d emulated levels are at intervals of 128. If you want to use those textures properly you'll need to do that instead of 64.
Wolf3D used the equivalent of 64-unit high walls and a 64-unit grid. For whatever insane reason (so they'd tile properly?), id expanded the textures to 128x128 and doubled the size of the map. As a result, everything is naturally huge in appearance, and the SS troopers, who have NOT been expanded, are suddenly tiny.

If you want to make a REAL Wolf3D map for Doom, you'll need to get some 64x64 textures and make everything the size it should be. WolfenDoom already does this. Notice that none of its maps use the expanded textures. (I think they double the textures vertically to get around the tiling problem -- not that they tile vertically very much. :)) Of course you're limited to using monsters that are less than 64 units tall, but that's why all of the Wolf3D enemies are squat (by comparison to Doom enemies).

BTW, there are already some textures based off the original (non-expanded) version of Wolf3D's rocky texture (Named ZZWOLF1 in DOOM2.WAD) present in the IWAD. They are ROCK1 (Looks like the rocks have a green glow on the underside), ROCK2 (Normal rocks), and ROCK3 (Slime-covered rocks). They appear to have been modified to be more grainy so as to fit more easily into the Doom setting, and they've been doubled to 64x128, but the layout of the stones is the same. The flat ROCK13 is also the top 64x64 of ROCK2. Finally, SW1ROCK and SW2ROCK use ROCK1 as a background image for the switch texture.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Oh be quiet bouncy! I'll make you some demo maps... real simple stuff. I'll place your monsters in there and make stuff real nice. Then you look at my maps and see how i did it. I can't promise these things done any time soon, but I'll get to work when I have time.

Man, really, nobody gets anywhere by giving up! You've gotta try and try and evewntually you will get somewhere, if not too far, but still somewhere. Things don't happen by themselves... you can't expect to be able to create mapos just like that! Play The Following and see how many faults that has... but then, it isn't that bad for my first release. Actually, look at other peoples maps! Lerarn from them, see how they do thiungs... with time, it will come... it will come...

:twisted:
Wasted Youth

Post by Wasted Youth »

Okay… Learning to map can be confusing. You should start out with WinDEU32. It is old but so simple… You will have to edit your configuration file to tell it where doom is located. You just run the program and Start and new map then go in to verticies mode and put your mouse over one of the grid lines and press Insert on you keyboard. You will now have a vertex, so do this four more times to make a square. So you should have four verticies now… So now click one of your vertex, then in a Clockwise order hold shift and select the remaining verticies. Now that all four are selected press insert. Now you should have a box. The wall of the box are called Linedefs and these are your walls to your room. Now while they are still selected, press Insert again and now you have a sector which is your room. Yay, first room completed. Okay now you can insert sprites such as monsters and player start and weapons etc. To do this go in to objects mode and put your mouse over a grid line in your room and press insert on your keyboard. An object has been placed. Double click it and a window will open and you can edit what that object is, skill it appears in, direction it faces, etc. Also, when in linedef mod you can double click a linedef and a window will open which you can change your texture and line properties. Same with sectors when in sector mode.
Disclamer: This program can be gay at time and cross your linedefs when you make them or something. If this happens then just go to edit and undo and keep trying till they are right. Also, make sure your linedefs are facing the right way. The front of a linedef will have a line come out to show you what the front side is. In a basic square room, each linedef should have a line coming out the side pointing inward of the box.

Well, that is as simple as it gets and a great way to start out into the world of mapping. Also as a reminder, this program wont build nodes right so don’t make a sector with in a sector… When I get off work I will make some example screen shot pics.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

/me tapes WastedYouth's mouth shut.
Bouncy, just ignore this. WinDEU32 is to the Doom mapper what pestilence was to the Middle Ages. I never managed to make anything other than connected box rooms with it. And I dare say I made some decent maps in DoomBuilder.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

What, you Slav? :) WinDEU was the greatest thing out there. Actually it was one of the better editors for Windows, and while it had a few downers (missing decorative features such as curve linedef, bugs such as hitting <delete> with no selection crashed WinDEU :shock: and its copy/paste sucked ass), I found it to be very flexible. For example, if I needed to change a linedef's vertex or the sector it belongs to, the information was neatly presented in the same dialog box. To summarize: I liked it.

Return to “General”