ZDoom Portal Gun / ZPortal - (old topic)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sure. All you'd have to do is make a copy of the gun and all it's projectiles for each player, along with the ACS and change the TID's for each one. Also make sure each player can only get their own weapon and not others. Simple to do but too tedious for me at the minute.
Location: Denver, CO How do they get teflon to stick to the pan?

Post by Sticky »

And don't forget to make the projectiles different colors (if possible).

Question: Is it possible to give the gun to the players at startup? Then you wouldn't even have to put the guns into other levels/wads to use them you would just have them every time you spawned with the wad loaded. And that would also avoid the different players get different guns problem...

Admitedly, this would not be ideal in all situations, but would work very well for what I have in mind..... cause I wanna play on stock levels and wads without having to edit them. :-)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Sticky wrote:And don't forget to make the projectiles different colors (if possible).
Yap, I wouldn’t forget to do that
Sticky wrote:Question: Is it possible to give the gun to the players at startup? Then you wouldn't even have to put the guns into other levels/wads to use them you would just have them every time you spawned with the wad loaded. And that would also avoid the different players get different guns problem...
That was my idea, because there seems to be no other way to do it.

Cutman, you put in some very nasty hacks for this, good thing thing_hate exists, other wise the portals would be imposable to do
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Uhh I haven't used Thing_Hate once in my wad. You won't need it for multiplayer either if you read my instructions above.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

No, I have to use thing hate, otherwise the projectiles will end up attacking and executing a script that will move a player even if he’s nowhere near a portal
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Oh sorry, I know what you mean now.

Player 1's portal would attack player 2 and teleport player 1 etc right?

Post by Sticky »

Cutmanmike wrote:Player 1's portal would attack player 2 and teleport player 1 etc right?
I want a video of that.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Cutmanmike wrote:Player 1's portal would attack player 2 and teleport player 1 etc right?
Yap, and that would be weird, sorry about it taking so long, I have a friend here and where playing halo2
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sneaky bump. If I start a collab project for this, who would be willing to make maps?

Quality control would almost be zero since the idea of this is the most simple but challenging of maps.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

edward850 wrote:
Sticky wrote:Question: Is it possible to give the gun to the players at startup?
That was my idea, because there seems to be no other way to do it.
Of course there's another way to do it. Create a separate pickup item that executes a script which checks the player's number and gives them the appropriate weapon on pickup.

Simple.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Yup that sounds good to me. I'll make this work on multiplayer, edit the map a little and upload it to idgames.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I hate to admit it[/sarcasm], but this is pretty cool. :P

Post by Sticky »

HotWax wrote:Of course there's another way to do it. Create a separate pickup item that executes a script which checks the player's number and gives them the appropriate weapon on pickup.Simple.
Indeed. And that definitely seems like the right way to implement it into a level that was designed for it.

However, as I mentioned before, if you want to use portals on stock maps and/or other wads, it would be great to not have to do any editing. But maybe that's not as big a deal as I anticipate it being, or maybe there's a way around it. I just thought if people started enjoying this ability in multiplayer, they would want to use it on a variety of maps, not just those specifically designed for it. I know I do....

Ps. Where are your demos? :-D

2Cutman, let me know if I can help in any way. I'm no editor, but I can playtest.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Sorry multiplayer is taking so long, but we all know it, schools a bitch. I will have it done and ready for testing soon. Also it’s taken me a bit of time to understand what needs to be edited and how to edit it
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Sticky wrote:Ps. Where are your demos? :-D
I just returned from a short vacation at my parents' house and I'm at work right now so I can't try it out yet. If I can pull myself away from Wii long enough I'll try to play through it tonight.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”