New actor property: BloodSprite

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nash

New actor property: BloodSprite <class>

Post by Nash »

This idea has been discussed a few times before this so I thought I'd make a thread for this feature request.

I propose a new actor property that's used to tell the engine what actor to spawn when it bleeds (shot by a hitscan weapon, crushed by ceiling, etc).

Code: Select all

BloodSprite "Gibs"
... would spawn the pool of gibs when you shoot a monster.

This is definitely necessary if you want to make a fiery monster drop chunks of flames, a stone golem dropping chunks of rock or the Revenant and Lost Soul to drop bone chips when you shoot them with hitscan weapons.

Another reason why I think this would be useful would apply for GZDoom use:

I have replaced the Blood actor with a 3-d model in GZDoom. I think it would be impossible to have the model's texture to be colourized the same as the actor's BloodColor. So if you have a Cacodemon that bleeds blue; the blood particles are blue in colour, but the 3-d model that comes out will be coloured red.

Using BloodSprite, I would be able to easily assign different blood actors and therefore different coloured textured models. In the above example's case, I can use BloodSprite "BlueBlood" for the Cacodemon, and in the MODELDEF, define a different model for BlueBlood.

EDIT:

If the above feature does get implemented, the following flag proposal would also be an ideal companion to the feature.

Code: Select all

+DONTTRANSLATEBLOODSPRITE
This flag will tell the engine to NOT translate the custom blood sprite using the actor's BloodColor property.
Last edited by Nash on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: New actor property: BloodSprite <class>

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:
I have replaced the Blood actor with a 3-d model in GZDoom.

Here's some advice: Use models where it makes sense. This doesn't.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Yeah I don't see the point in a bloodsplat model :P The feature itself would be useful though.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Of course it does make sense.

The model is really in shape of flat blood splats since (G)ZDoom does not support floor decals.
Attachments
flatblood.jpg
flatblood.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Ooh. Nice. :)
Wills

Post by Wills »

Heh, that looks good. Make sure to have monsters drop a lot of blood splats where they fall when they die.

On topic: I agree with the fact this could be a handy feature. Nash already gave good examples, so I won't continue to expound.
Alterworldruler

Post by Alterworldruler »

nice example of this requested feature nash :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Nice one there! I didn't even think about using models for that at all... backatcha Graf? Ah nevermind... that was a bit mean, I should probably chill out or something. :P

Anyway, this would probably come in handy or something. I've been messing around a bit with custom blood types and as it turns out, although I can use the new Replaces keyword to create entirely new blood splats, it doesn't work well when colorizing. I use a similar method to Caligari's puff objects from his Halo mod (or ww-stranger if you will) where the main splat spawns a bit of tiny ones in the air (literally a blood *splat*), however these small ones don't change color when using the BloodColor property (they stay red). I've made custom variants for the Cacos and Barons but I currently have no means of implementing them. So therefore, I strongly support this suggestion. :P
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Changelog wrote:Added an optional second parameter to A_SpawnDebris and an optional fifth parameter to A_SpawnItem that both do the same thing: If you set it to 1, then the spawned actor will be assigned the same translation table as the actor that called the function.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

It was even added in the wiki by mself, after reading that added feature, just FYI.
Nash

Post by Nash »

That still doesn't solve the problem of assigning differet blood sprites per actor.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Adding future features into the wiki is nonsense. They can be changed and the info only confuse people.
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Grubber wrote:Adding future features into the wiki is nonsense. They can be changed and the info only confuse people.
That's why there's a lil' note in the page, saying it is for the SVN version only.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

So what's the point of having it there when people can't use it?
Ryan Cordell

Post by Ryan Cordell »

They can wait until the new ZDoom comes out, or just compile the SVN version. :P

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”