Battlefield

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Cage

Battlefield

Post by Cage »

A simple idea, something I made quite quickly in DoomBuilder. You are an UAC marine, with others (ZDoom Marine monsters) you are defending your "base" (just few crates and simple fortifications) againts the attack of an army of demons. It's a single map, with a bit of marines and monsters ;) I tried to make it feel like a large scale battle. I think it's quite fun as a extension of my thing_hate test map ;) The marines are quite dumb though and they are more threat to themselves and you, rather than monsters. You have some weapons from the start(shotg, chain, rocktl, plasm), supplies are scattered around your "base". There's a lot of room for improvent on this. Just wanted to hear some opinions, critics or ideas. Any help on improving/expanding this are appreciated too :)

Link:
http://rapidshare.de/files/29649567/bat ... d.rar.html

Attachment:
Attachments
battlefield.rar
(36.88 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

There seems to be a lot of friendly fire going on with many marines, you might want to change their position/weapons, or even remove some marines, to fix that.

Also, a trench in the middle of the map would be a good fixture.
guitar man

Re: Battlefield

Post by guitar man »

This was a pretty cool idea! Like the guy above said, some terrain variation would have improved things. Stuff like indoor-outdoor areas would provide a trully epic experience (bunkers, bases, tunnels, caves, etc..).
Cage wrote:Any help on improving/expanding this are appreciated too :)
Does that mean you are looking for somebody to work with? If so, sign me up! I'd totally be interested in working with you on a few maps, or something.
Last edited by guitar man on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhAyzoN

Post by PhAyzoN »

Does the Nospam part actually help? Or is it just annoying?
guitar man

Post by guitar man »

PhAyzoN wrote:Does the Nospam part actually help? Or is it just annoying?
Considering that there are bots collecting text that fits the format of an e-mail address... I would say yes, it helps.

I encourage you to post your e-mail address of a few forums, and see how much your spam count goes up. :)
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

[quote="guitar man"]bots collecting text that fits the format of an e-mail address...[quote]

Code: Select all

<?php
    $page=stream_get_contents(($url=fopen("http://page.to.get/email.from","rb")));
    fclose($url);

$regex='^[a-zA-Z]([.]?([[:alnum:]_-]+)*)?@([[:alnum:]\-_]+\.)+[a-zA-Z]{2,4}$'
    while(preg_match($regex,$page,$out){
        echo $out[1];
    }
?>
Note: Might not work, I didn't test it, but it should work.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Hmm, might expalin why I've been getting a helluva lot of spam. I must have posted it somewhere on here before...

Or can the bots get the e-mail address from your profile details?
Cage

Re: Battlefield

Post by Cage »

guitar man wrote:Does that mean you are looking for somebody to work with? If so, sign me up! I'd totally be interested in working with you on a few maps, or something.
That's cool, hovewer this was just some toying around, I have other project which is more importaint to me(not Doom though). I probably will expand/improve it, but I won't work on it all the time though. But help is appreciated, especially if someone could improve the AI of the marine monsters. It would be really great if they just wouldn't shoot player or themselves. ;) I don't know how to do it (dehacked? decorate?) because I don't have any idea how to change the behaviour of the game, coding was never my cup of tea. Maps are welcome too, but I think it would be better if the maps would be made after any coding changes (if any).

btw.
Phobus wrote:Or can the bots get the e-mail address from your profile details?
I think they can because I've seen web pages with email adresses scrambled into an image in the profile info. But please stay on topic ;)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just wait for Stronghold and you will get something like this :)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

its impossable to get any actour to not shoot any other actor, zdoom is unable to tell whats is in frount of an actor. i dont think randy is going to put in support for this
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Would it be that hard? Or maybe something like a script if monsters/actos have the same thing id they can't hurt each other, what abourt that!?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

@cage: Yeah, sorry, idle curiosity :P

T667 is right though, this does sound like a simplification of Stronghold, though it's quite well done.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Well, it's really just a test. I didn't mean to copy Stronghold in any way, I thought that marines(the ground ones, not the ones in positions) will go out more into the field resulting in a battle but it's more of a offence/defense now. My orginal idea was to put the player in a middle of a battle zone with fortifications, trenches, bunkers, mounted guns etc. like ww2 expect it would be humans vs. demons. Well, we'll see what it will turn out into ;)

Some small progress on the map: I've made a small base area, just building, you can't enter it. There are some sniper spots there for the marines. It's effective so I put more demons to balance it. I think it's a bit more interesting now. Download:

http://rapidshare.de/files/29746468/bat ... d.rar.html
guitar man

Post by guitar man »

Phobus wrote:Or can the bots get the e-mail address from your profile details?
They scan the pages source code in its entirety.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Return to “Editing (Archive)”