The [Monster Resource Wad] NG* (Update: 11/12, Page 15)

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Tormentor667

The [Monster Resource Wad] NG* (Update: 11/12, Page 15)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Introduction
Yeah, after the success of the first Monster Resource Wad and the huge amount of bugs in the second Monster Resource Wad I thought it was time to finally revive this project. Beyond, the latest versions of ZDoom and GZDoom have hundreds of new interesting DECORATE features so absolutely new creations are possible now.

Initial Downloads
The latest Build is based on the Monster Resource Wad that can be found in the /idgames archive just with a few minor changes (for example removing the Scorpion which was model based and doesn't actually fit to the rest conc. its drawing style). You can get it here: (Update 4th August, 2006)
http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/mrwv3 ... uild16.zip
If you find bugs in this thing, report them so we can fix the monsters which are already in there!

Rules for the Monster Pack NG
Every monster that fits into the drawing style of doom can be posted. I don't bother about simple recolors or patchwork monsters as long as the DECORATE behaviour itself makes up for a good opponent then, so feel free to put everything in you are capable of :)
  • - Sprites must fit to the rest (no models, no sprite rips from NES games)
    - DECORATE or Sprites must feature something new
    - The final monster must be in wad format (no "wip sprite sheets" or txt files)
    - Heretic & Hexen Style Monsters are allowed (this is a MRW, not a DOOM-MRW)
    - Use paletted PNGs please!
    - Save the new monsters in PK3/ZIP format if possible and make the sprites have the correct offsets as well. For more information on this, read:
    http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?tit ... eplacement
Nothing more yet, but that might change.

Final Words
So I hope we get a lot of contributions and get this third release of the MRW even more popular and awesome as the first two have been :)

*NG stands for Next Generation, so this is not an official update to the original MRW, it's a complete new collection!

Hints
Looking for sprites as bases to alter or to use for some of your mosnters? Try games like "Strife", "Heretic", "Hexen" or even "Duke Nukem 3D", "Blood" and "Shadow Warrior". Also "Blake Stone" and "Wolf3D" might work in some places. Beyond, check the following resource as well:
http://members.fortunecity.com/doomskin/index.html
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Monster Sprites DECORATEers can work with
I have already looked for a few monster sprites months ago when the Monster Resource Wad v2 was under developement but some of them never have been used or added so I just uploaded them right now to the following folder:
http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/unfinishedmonsters/

Preview
Here is a small preview of what you can find there:

Doom Alpha Lost Soul

Anubis Soldier

Eye of the Storm

Zombie Flyer

Heavy Weapon Demon

Lesser Imp

Scythe Soldier

Vampire Bat

Use them if you want to, feel free to alter them and later add your DECORATE to the monster to make it fully operationable :)
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

For my monster, what's the sndinfo entry for the wendigo's iceball exploding? 8-)

Also, I take it no direct rips from other games like Blood and DN3D are allowed? But what if they are SLIGHTLY modified, with a new recolor or something? :?
AgentSpork

Post by AgentSpork »

jimmy91 wrote: Also, I take it no direct rips from other games like Blood and DN3D are allowed?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

When I meant direct, I meant the sprites were ripped from the original files and had no changes made to them other than palette revamping. 8-) Heh.

So that's not a *direct* rip, it's been edited so it has a shotgun guy driving it instead of a pigcop. Looks pretty cool, too. :thumb:
Last edited by Jimmy on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

More lame edits i've seen time and time again. :nope:
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

I already made the Scythe Soldier if you want it Tormentor.

EDIT: and I'm making the Zombie Flyer right now, :P
Last edited by Shadelight on Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

I can't help but giggle at the Heavy Weapon Demon. :lol:
Alterworldruler

Post by Alterworldruler »

Isn't heavy weapon demon is edited jon's baby cyberdemon sprites from twilight zone 2?
BouncyTEM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

question; any heretic/hexen-ish or based monsters allowed? because I got a ton of recolors I made from those and i'd like to put them to good use. :)
Lord Mattus

Post by Lord Mattus »

We need those demon eclipse monsters to go into the Monster Resource Pack! I like them!

http://rapidshare.de/files/27955185/DE-Package.zip.html

EDIT: i'm working on the Heavy weapon demon right now.
Last edited by Lord Mattus on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I did extra frames for the shotgun soldier dude because I didn't like it how it didn't aim the gun (It just lowered it and fired):

http://tda.drdteam.org/SoldierXtraFrames.zip

EDIT: Fixed link.
Last edited by TheDarkArchon on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The problem with Heretic and Hexen monsters (IMO) is that they are very obviously Heretic and Hexen monsters and just not Doomy.

Oh, and for years I've thought that baby cyber thing looked silly. :P

Oh and Jimmy I think (from memory) the Wendigo's iceball explode is a sound lump called SHARDS1B with a sndinfo entry of IceGuyMissileExplode and I think you could probably also use MageShardsExplode which uses the same sound lump. And if I'm right, I need to get out more. No-one should just remember that stuff. :)

[edit]TDA, that link for the extra soldier frames seems to be dead.[/edit]
BouncyTEM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Enjay wrote:The problem with Heretic and Hexen monsters (IMO) is that they are very obviously Heretic and Hexen monsters and just not Doomy.
while true, when you got tons of recolors but have no use for them, you do kinda want to find a way to use them *somehow*, right? x.x
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Wait... there were 2 Monster Resource wads? Where? I thought there was only one! (Yes, I am constantly on the search for monster resources.)

Return to “Editing (Archive)”