railguns

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Zell

railguns

Post by Zell »

how do add the railgun to zdoom? lol i cant figure it out :(
Biff

Post by Biff »

zdoom -bex railgun.bex

The contents of the railgun.bex file are:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

# Don't even try editing this in DeHackEd, since it's mostly
# extensions that DeHackEd knows nothing about.

[CODEPTR]
Frame 77 = A_FireRailgun
Frame 78 = NULL

# S_PLASMA1
Frame 77
Sprite subnumber = 32768
Duration = 3
Next frame = 78

# S_PLASMA2
Frame 78
Sprite subnumber = 1
Duration = 50
Next frame = 74

Weapon 5 (Plasma Gun, now a rail gun)
Decal = RailScorch
Zell

Post by Zell »

is there anything else i need?
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

That patch replaces the Plasma Rifle with the railgun. Just load it up and switch to weapon 6 to fire it.

If you want to use it in your own project, use the railgun.bex file as a reference to adding it in. You'll have to replace one of the weapons, though it doesn't have to be the plasma. You can also give enemies railguns by using the appropriate pointers. (No, I don't know them offhand) If you do that, you can set the railgun damage for each monster by setting the monster's missile damage field (normally unused on an enemy) to the desired value. AFAIK, the player's RG damage is hard coded and can't be changed.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

HotWax wrote:You can also give enemies railguns by using the appropriate pointers. (No, I don't know them offhand)
MonsterRail
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

HotWax wrote:AFAIK, the player's RG damage is hard coded and can't be changed.
Man, I'd really like to be able to change that in the next version of Zdoom. It could lead to some interesting results, such as a superfast machinegun firing weak railgun shots. (Randy, hint, hint...)
Assmaster

Post by Assmaster »

Xaser wrote:It could lead to some interesting results, such as a superfast machinegun firing weak railgun shots. (Randy, hint, hint...)
I got that effect by giving monsterrail to odd things like barrels. The shots barely did anydamage either. So maybe someone could muck around with that?
BBG

Post by BBG »

You guys wanna see a cool railgun? Look HERE.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Assmaster wrote:I got that effect by giving monsterrail to odd things like barrels. The shots barely did anydamage either. So maybe someone could muck around with that?
Reread my post, Ass. .... erm

... I can't call you that... hrm ... errr... Master?... okay I'm not calling you Master. Hmmm....

Reread my post, Smaster. Just replace "enemies" and "monsters" with "non-player Things." There are different railgun pointers for the player and anything AI-driven (which is everything else). The one for the player does fixed damage, while the others do the amount of damage specified in the Thing's "missile damage" field. Since barrels (like most non-projectiles) have 0 missile damage by default, they do 0 damage when you give them a rail. Change the missile damage value and they'll start doing damage.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

ACTUALLY, now that zdoom can use monster code pointers with the player, you might be able to do a variable damage railgun if you assign the MonsterRail codeptr to the player and give the player a missile damage. mind you I haven't actually tried this (nor have I ever used a monster codeptr on the player's weapons) but it's possible...
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Cyb wrote:ACTUALLY, now that zdoom can use monster code pointers with the player, you might be able to do a variable damage railgun if you assign the MonsterRail codeptr to the player and give the player a missile damage. mind you I haven't actually tried this (nor have I ever used a monster codeptr on the player's weapons) but it's possible...
That would surely unbalance the ... uhmm.. balance... of the space-time continuum and throw us all into an infinite-regression-techono-babble time loop.
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

BBG wrote:You guys wanna see a cool railgun? Look *No*.
You're an idiot. That's NOT a railgun.

THAT'S a railgun:

Zell

Post by Zell »

heh dont make me go get a screenshot of Q3Arenas railgun ;)

But, anyway, whats all this stuff about monster pointers and such? how do u use them, etc...
BBG

Post by BBG »

Mighty Duck X-treme wrote:
BBG wrote:You guys wanna see a cool railgun? Look *No*.
You're an idiot. That's NOT a railgun.

THAT'S a railgun:

Actually, you're an idiot. THIS is a REAL Rail Gun.
Zell

Post by Zell »

:shock: holy crap! lol had no clue they were real :? :o

Return to “General”