The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Well I have it now and it still doesn't do anything different.

Am I missing something? I don't know how to use gdb.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Psycho Siggi wrote:This seems somewhat sticky worthy? (when it develops of course)
Seconded.

And/or Wiki-fied, od course.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

David Ferstat wrote:
Psycho Siggi wrote:This seems somewhat sticky worthy? (when it develops of course)
And/or Wiki-fied, od course.
I was planning on either clearing out all the posts that aren't installation instructions or writing a wiki page. I'll have to wait untill there is a good amount of info though.

So I tried again today. I checked out r198 and it won't compile.

Code: Select all

make: *** No rule to make target `src/g_strife/a_strifeweaps.h', needed by `releaseobj/a_strifeitems.o'.  Stop.
I'd fix it myself, but I have no idea how yet. Someone care to explain? I'd love to help out with the development process.

EDIT: Perhaps this particular issue would be best taken up on IRC? It would keep this thread a bit cleaner.
irc.oftc.net #DRDTeam
Jim

Post by Jim »

It's a bug in my Makefile. I was going to fix it last week, but then again I also have something more important (real life) that I was also supposed to finish then. :-p

In the meantime, just "make clean" and "make" again and it'll work fine again.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

It didn't. :(

I'll empty out the source dir and do a full checkout from scratch.
Jim

Post by Jim »

No, no. Just do "rm -rf debugobj releaseobj" from your top level zdoom directory.

Looks like I'm going to have to rewrite half of it when I fix it.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Okay so now it compiles but still dies. Any idea how to figure this out?

Let's see. I need a mapfile and a way to figure out where it dies. Then I might be able to figure it out myself.

EDIT: I've been playing around with the command-line args and if I run it at my desktop resolution, It gets to the title screen with the startup console, but when it tries to load the screen or the game, it dies.

EDIT 2: After a bit more playing, I discovered it's the music. Playing with -nomusic works fine. Except there is no regular sound either. Any ideas?

EDIT 3: WHEEEEE!
Yay. With a bit of forum searching, I discovered that +snd_output oss works!
Now I just need to figure out where to put the ini file so I can have my settings back.

EDIT 4: After some more playing, I have discovered that if you type "snd_output alsa;snd_reset" while in game, sound will start working through ALSA. If you don't type the "snd_output alsa" first, even if snd_output is already alsa, ZDoom will lock up.

ZDoom on Linux seems to work pretty well. I played njma01.wad, TNTLE.wad and my old copy of Z1M9.wad. No problems so far. It's a bit slow, but I'm used to GZD's super-fastness. Perhaps I can someday tackle that mess. ;)
ducon

Post by ducon »

I compiled it, get it here and the pk3. You also may need the wad.
I compiled it today on a Debian Etch. It worked the first time. Yay.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Bio Hazard wrote:Yay. With a bit of forum searching, I discovered that +snd_output oss works!
Now I just need to figure out where to put the ini file so I can have my settings back.
In case you haven't found this out yet, the ini (and saved game directory) is in "~/.zdoom".
Bio Hazard wrote:After some more playing, I have discovered that if you type "snd_output alsa;snd_reset" while in game, sound will start working through ALSA. If you don't type the "snd_output alsa" first, even if snd_output is already alsa, ZDoom will lock up.
I haven't had that problem.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Some hint: if you enable -g (or -ggdb3 to get the full fun), please turn off optimization by either killing all -O options, or use -O0 at the end of CFLAGS. That way, control won't jump around lines when debugging. (GCC might reorder assembler instructions which looks like gdb is jumping between and forth source lines.)
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Jim wrote:In case you haven't found this out yet, the ini (and saved game directory) is in "~/.zdoom".
I noticed.

Well I'm trying to compile 2.1.1, but I can't figure out how to get the source out of the .7z file.

Also, does anyone know where I'd start looking in the source to fix this sound problem I'm having?
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Bio Hazard wrote:After a bit more playing, I discovered it's the music. Playing with -nomusic works fine. Except there is no regular sound either. Any ideas?
Do you have timidy? I think I had this problem untill I installed it, oddly enough I still didn't have music untill enabling opl emulation.
Bio Hazard wrote:Well I'm trying to compile 2.1.1, but I can't figure out how to get the source out of the .7z file.
Funny you should mention this, I used Wine to run 7zip's File Manager to extract it :P
But that was because I was to lazy to download 7zip for linux. I have not looked, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Also, what sound problem? Just no sound untill you enable ALSA, then reset sound?
I'm also having sound issues, but mine are that all sound effects in ZDoom are delayed by a split second or 2. Enough to be noticeable. I'm using ESD for sound, as ALSA gives me an error then ZDoom just switches to ESD on it's own.

I should also mention I'm using an nForce4 board which has been giving me issues with my onboard sound from the start, however ZDoom is the only remaining program with a noticeable problem.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Bio Hazard wrote:Well I'm trying to compile 2.1.1, but I can't figure out how to get the source out of the .7z file.
By using p7zip.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Psycho Siggi wrote:Also, what sound problem? Just no sound untill you enable ALSA, then reset sound?
I'm also having sound issues, but mine are that all sound effects in ZDoom are delayed by a split second or 2. Enough to be noticeable. I'm using ESD for sound, as ALSA gives me an error then ZDoom just switches to ESD on it's own.
ESD and aRts (the funny capitalization is not a mistake, aRts is :p) are crap for things that require low-latency and they are both no longer being developed. Use ALSA (or OSS failing that) for games and multimedia.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

EsounD seems to work a lot better than anything in almost all applications for me, oddly enough.

Well I got ZD 2.1.1 compiled and installed sucsessfully. It worked right out of the box. I really want to write an ebuild of it since currently most Linuxers who don't do compiling only have the options of doomsday or god forbid... legacy. The only problem is I have no idea how to do this. I have the docs right here but I'm not sure about some of the things I need to do.
  • What's ZD's Licence? Should I just put "Doom licence"? "ID Software Licence"? I know this isin't based off the GPL version.
  • The dependancies would be fmod, flac, nasm, and SDL?
  • I set the download URI to the .7z archive? Does that mean 7z is a dependancy too? Can you make a .tar.bz2 file for us Linuxers?
  • Is there anything I could use the USE flags for? Perhaps for a default sound output daemon?
  • Where would the installation part put it? Does the makefile automatically install it when I run "make install"?
  • Where do I tell the user to put the IWAD without editing the INI?
  • Does there need to be a ZDoom.ini file? Maybe there should be a default INI in the source archive?
Anyone willing to help me out a bit with this?

Strange, ZDoom is running excruciatingly slow. I can't run it at anything above 640x480 at 35 FPS. Are there any compiler hacks I could use to speed it up a bit?

Return to “Tutorials”