Simplicity Megawad Released

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

I don't think AgentSpork has anything to worry about. No matter how mong this thread gets, Simplicity will still be well-worth playing.

Which reminds me, I should really finish it already! :P
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

Spork for president! This is the best wad ever since RTC-3057. Even though RTC was on the exact opposite of the scale in terms of pace, I love the vanilla taste of traps and action in Simplicity. Not to even mention the looks of it. Artsy minimalism! It still looks pretty damn good though!

Just splendid!
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Deathsong12 wrote:Then I have no idea what this project is supposed to be. If it is not a remake or update of Episode 1, why call it "Knee Deep in ZDoom?" I recommend "Doom Fashion Show." You've gone from a bad central concept to no central concept. Please bring me up to date as to the intent and basis for this project.
Of course there's still a central concept. It's Knee Deep In the Dead with lots of changes, new things added to it, etc. I don't think anything could be more obvious.

BTW, doesn't WWE mix monsters from all the Doom engine games, and have friendly, talking hellspawn? If so, I hardly think you have any right to speak about crappy concepts.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the Simplicity thread? Why is everyone talking about KDiZD?
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Because Deathsong can't handle the fact not everyone who makes ZDoom add-ons wants to make a TC which steals lots of stuff from a bunch of other games, has a couple of hundred levels, enough code that it takes 2 years to write it all, and is basically waaay to ambitious for its own good. Simplicity and KDIZD are both perfect examples of projects whose reasons for existing he cannot comprehend.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

No. I can understand the reasons for their existance. In fact, I am enjoying Simplicity and will enjoy KDiZD. It just irks me that we have the power to do things even as simple as HeXen type puzzle gameplay, and yet the same old "get key, fight off ambush, go through door, hit exit" gameplay predominates. It shows how set in our ways the doom community is. I rarely even see attempts to alter combat style, such as the way Enjay's marine assault required you to move carefully and snipe foes. You can do the same thing in normal Doom, but the way the monsters and weapons are balanced, it becomes tedious. I've been playing doom for 12 of my 16 years. I'd like a little uniqueness now and then. I'm not asking for every project to be impossible dreams like WWE, but I would like people to stop following the formula. It's a formula that works, but It stopped being truely immersive and enjoyable, for me at least, way back.

P.S: As to Nightmare's concerns about WWE:
1: This is not EB Doom. I am not just lumping every monster ever into a wad and calling it cool. I could do away with the Doom, Hexen and Strife refrences altogether if I so choose, but they're kinda fun, and serve to draw those who have played these games into the story and world.
2: The hellspawn in WWE are only freindly if you become one yourself. Which you can choose to do, or not to do. Which is nonlinear gameplay. Which is innovative (for Doom, at least).

P.S.S: As to Curunir's concerns about this thread:
Yes, this thread is about Simplicity. But it got me off on a rant, and being the idiot I am, I got into an argument about my rant. Which lead to more ranting. I'm not going to make another offtopic post in this thread.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Deathsong12 wrote:No. I can understand the reasons for their existance. In fact, I am enjoying Simplicity and will enjoy KDiZD. It just irks me that we have the power to do things even as simple as HeXen type puzzle gameplay, and yet the same old "get key, fight off ambush, go through door, hit exit" gameplay predominates.
Puzzles more complex than finding the right key or switch exist in almost all KDIZD maps. And in an attempt to be on-topic, see also Simplicity MAP19.
I rarely even see attempts to alter combat style, such as the way Enjay's marine assault required you to move carefully and snipe foes. You can do the same thing in normal Doom, but the way the monsters and weapons are balanced, it becomes tedious. I've been playing doom for 12 of my 16 years. I'd like a little uniqueness now and then.
Both KDIZD and Simplicity feature new monsters (though they're far more predominant in the former), many of which require the player to adopt unusual tactics to defeat them. KDIZD has a couple of new weapons too.
Last edited by NiGHTMARE on Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Deathsong12 wrote:It just irks me that we have the power to do things even as simple as HeXen type puzzle gameplay, and yet the same old "get key, fight off ambush, go through door, hit exit" gameplay predominates.
And what gave you the impression that this will be the case with KDiZD? It seems like a baseless assumption to me.

EDIT: Beaten, essentially.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

New monsters do not count as any kind of massive gameplay innovation. It is nice to see that KDiZD, and this as-of-yet-unreached-by-Deathy MAP19 of Simplicity (on-topic!) at least make an attempt. I did make a baseless assumption about KDiZD, and I'm sorry. But it's still Doom, and Doom through and through. I'm hoping that people will realize ZDoom's potential and try mix it up a little. Alas, I'm frustrated with the lack of this, and I get pissy. Well, we try.
AgentSpork

Post by AgentSpork »

Can't I start one thread without someone starting a [censored word] arguement about KDiZD? I just don't understand some of you people sometimes..

As far as Simplicity goes, it states right in the text file that I have in no way tried to be innovative with this WAD. It's meant for those who enjoy Doom's gameplay as it was then while being spiced up by ZDoom's features. I think I did a pretty good job of doing that, so..
So what exactly makes Simplicity so different
than any other megawad currently released? Well,
probably nothing. So if you're expecting
something drastically new and different,
you're looking in the wrong place.
However, if you want simple, action packed fun,
then this should be the megawad for you!
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

I'm very sorry. This is my fault.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Deathsong12 wrote:New monsters do not count as any kind of massive gameplay innovation.
They do if they have unusual/unique behaviour, and some of the new monsters in both Simplicity and KDIZD qualify for that, such as the two Simplicity bosses which summon fireballs from the walls.
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

Deathsong12 wrote:I'm very sorry. This is my fault.
Yes, yes it is, but Nightmare could have dropped it too and he didn't.
I hope you two are proud :sadno:
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I'd still vote for you on the presedential elections, Spork! Have no fear!

As long as this thread is already derailed anyway, is that a Contra sprite in the middle of your avatar? I can see Samus and Simon but I'm not too sure what the one in the center is.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Psycho Siggi wrote:Yes, yes it is, but Nightmare could have dropped it too and he didn't.
I hope you two are proud :sadno:
To be fair, my last two posts did mention Simplicity.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”