[Not a bug] when textures and flats clash

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Instead of renaming the flat, why not rename the texture? Then you won't even have to include any "copyright breaking materials" because you can still use the existing patch.
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

Ah, thanks muchly Nightmare, I'll do that.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

NiGHTMARE wrote:Instead of renaming the flat, why not rename the texture? Then you won't even have to include any "copyright breaking materials" because you can still use the existing patch.
TEXTUREx lumps are cumulative so this probably won't override the one in the IWAD.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't *think* they are truly cumulative. If you put some textures in a TEXTURE2 lump that were not in a TEXTURE1, they would be added to the total texture list. Editing TEXTURE1 to remove some original textures would work because the TEXTURE1 lump in the PWAD would be used in preference to the TEXTURE1 in the IWAD.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If I understand this correctly the new texture manager simply adds all TEXTUREx lumps without new ones completely overriding the ones in the IWAD. Here's the quote from RH-LOG.TXT:
- BTW, with the new texture system, you don't need to have every single texture
defined in a single TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2 lump. You do need to restrict
yourself to just one TEXTURE1 and/or TEXTURE2 lump per wad, but they don't
need to contain definitions for all the textures from the IWAD, since each
wad's texture definitions are loaded separately.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OOOh, that does look like it behaves like you said.

I am aware of at least one situation where the original behaviour of removing textures was used. IIRC, it was one of NiGHTMARE's speed mapping events. He provided a WAD with custom textures, and removed all the original ones to restrict the mappers choice to the new ones. If someone made a map using Zdoom as their test bed, then they could presumably still include original textures and thereby break the WAD for any other port.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since the editor wouldn't display the original textures I don't see where the problem is.
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

We had something similar to this with ZooM... Running it in ZDoom works fine, but in SkullTag there's actually a flat with the same name as one of the light textures (which we had pasted on the ceiling), and the SkullTag wad overwrote it for some reason, and it looked stupid. We'll probably need to put the texture as a flat to use it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nanami wrote:We had something similar to this with ZooM... Running it in ZDoom works fine, but in SkullTag there's actually a flat with the same name as one of the light textures (which we had pasted on the ceiling), and the SkullTag wad overwrote it for some reason, and it looked stupid. We'll probably need to put the texture as a flat to use it.
Why don't you just rename it (or put it between TX_START/TX_END?)
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

Yeah, the one from the iwad comes in to "save the day" when I delete step2 :/ Oh well, guess I'll just have to include half a flat.
randi
Site Admin

Re: when textures and flats clash

Post by randi »

SargeBaldy wrote:I guess this is kind of a bug...
No, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do, and I'm not changing it.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”