Operation Overlord

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Enjay

Operation Overlord

Post by Enjay »

A release - kind of

A few weeks ago, near the start of the school summer holidays, the friend that I did the Aspects TC for asked me to do a level that gave him the opportunity to snipe at enemies and fight through depth positions and fortified emplacements rather than having any awake enemies wander all over the level looking for you. Not very Doomy, I know, but he's not a big Doom fan and Aspects was made for him. So, anyway, I made something for him. I thought it might be worth converting it to a more regular Doom level, but the gameplay is a bit different to regular Doom, so if it doesn't sound like your cup of tea, don't bother with it.

It does have a bit of a "Marine Assault" feel to it - there are even towers like "Marine Assault" :roll: (I can do more than just levels with towers btw :) ) However, in "Marine Assault" I ripped out the "Red Giant Corporation" enemies and replaced them with bad Doom marines. This time I have decided to port over the Inca Republic enemies from Aspects. These are soldiers from the Inca Free Republic - a fascist dictatorship in South America that nuked and invaded Britain in the year 2386. All of which is irrelevant to this mod because it isn't Aspects and no-one has ever heard of the Inca Free Republic. They are the Aspects enemies that my friend likes fighting the most, so meh.

Anyway, I have managed to rip it out of Aspects and convert it to Doom. Oddly, this conversion took longer than it did to make the level in the first place. :?

What you should know:

It uses its own engine. This is a cut down version of the Aspects exe and was kindly coded by anonone. What's different? It includes ducking. It's based off Zdoom 2.0.63a (ZdoomFU version) but all the files have been renamed to avoid confilcts with any zdoom installs. The level will probably work with regular Zdoom, but ducking is quite important to the feel of the level (you can hide behind stuff near the start when ducked, but not when standing, and one secret needs ducking). I also included sniper zooming aliases in the config. These also are intended to be part of the gameplay.

Hopefully people will like the ducking feature and see that ducking can in fact add to Doom gameplay.

Important stuff

Read the text file dammit!!! There is important stuff in there.

To install, just unzip all the files into a directory with doom2.wad and double click the exe (the config pulls in the WAD).

There are additional keys to be configured. These can be found at the end of the key configuration menu. Only the "crosshair toggler" needs explanation. It binds X (or a key of your choice) to toggle through the available crosshairs. Use X to set your crosshair rather than the display menu. This will give you more crosshair options and register the crosshair you are using properly so that it can be restored after you have used the sniper scope keys.

I am only uploading this to my server (rather than the archives) because of the custom engine and because, being from Aspects, it almost certainly contains stuff that someone somewhere will not want distributed. I'll keep it up there for a while and then take it down once I think all interested parties have had a look.

If anyone has any legitimate problem with the content, let me know and I'll take it down immediately.

Anything else you need to know? Oh yes, where to get it

Text file
http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/overlord.txt

Zip file (about 5.5 MB)
http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/overlord.zip
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

:D Sounds good Enjay! *Downloads*
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Dammit! I forgot to include the script in the WAD. I'm always doing that. Not that it is particularly interesting or innovative.

http://www.zen64060.zen.co.uk/olacs.zip

Gasmeplay tips
Spoiler:
Last edited by Enjay on Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Wow! A release from Enjay! Break out the party streamers! :)

Downloading now, will post reactions later.
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

I've played not even 5 minutes and :shock:.

This is excelent!
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

NJ man, stuff from You is always mad inspiring :) Can't wait to get my paws on it. Will post stuff later bro.
Mullac (é)

Post by Mullac (é) »

i tried run it, it requred a DLL.file, the file is NMOD.DLL was not found, any ideas were i can get it from?
farlowj

Post by farlowj »

Wow, that was awesome. It was really hard, but awesome. I've always found that Enjay's maps were really fun to play, despite what I find to be a small lack of detail, but, as always with his maps, it was very good. Here, gameplay trumps detail in a big way. (The detail thing was the indoor parts, the outdoor parts looked really good)
Enjay

Re: Operation Overlord

Post by Enjay »

é wrote:i tried run it, it requred a DLL.file, the file is NMOD.DLL was not found, any ideas were i can get it from?
In the zip with the other files :roll:
Enjay wrote:Read the text file dammit!!! There is important stuff in there.
Text file wrote:Unzip the files into a directory containing a Doom2 IWAD (Doom2.wad) Double click zduck.exe
Enjay also wrote:To install, just unzip all the files into a directory with doom2.wad and double click the exe (the config pulls in the WAD).
For info, nmod.dll is just a renamed copy of the version of fmod.dll that is needed for 2.0.63a. Zduck.exe looks for nmod.dll rather than fmod.dll. I did this to prevent people unzipping the mod into their zdoom directory and accidentally overwriting the copy of fmod.dll in there, in case they are different versions.

As I said:
Enjay wrote:all the files have been renamed to avoid conflicts with any zdoom installs.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

farlowj wrote:Wow, that was awesome. It was really hard, but awesome. I've always found that Enjay's maps were really fun to play, despite what I find to be a small lack of detail, but, as always with his maps, it was very good. Here, gameplay trumps detail in a big way. (The detail thing was the indoor parts, the outdoor parts looked really good)
Thanks for the comments. I agree about the detail inside the buildings - especially the towers. It was a combination of things:

1 the level was already big and I was getting fed up with it. The thought of spending hours putting in detail didn't appeal to me.

2 The space inside the towers is quite cramped. I had a job fitting in the rooms that needed to be there, let alone extra stuff that actually didn't serve a practical purpose and which could reduce the space the enemies have to move in. So I just went with basic square rooms of fairly uniform height and plain walls. Originally I wanted stairs instead of lifts - another compromise for space. With a true 3D game, I'd have had a full floor at each level. With Doom, as you know, it has to all be squeezed into the same XY space. :shrug: Anyway, they are just quickly constructed concrete defence bunkers. How much detail do the real things have? ;)

I can do detail. I've done some very detailed stuff. However, I map mainly for fun and I don't usually get a huge kick out of spending hours making one room look über complex (but that can be fun too, in the right circumstances). I do admire people who have the patience to squeeze the levels of detail into their maps that we have seen of late. However, unless I need to, or specifically set out to go for detail, I usually go for what I feel is a nice compromise: functional, allowing me to get the rooms/ areas down and playable but with enough detail not to look too plain and dull.

Thanks again though. I'm glad you had fun with it. :biggrin:
Last edited by Enjay on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Well I finished it.

I'm shuffling my head to find proper words for it and a) not freak out b) not degrade the quality.

The gameplay was simply awesome. There were many moments where I've wowed during the game. Despite being low on health almost constantly everything was very fun from start to ending (maybe aside the interiors which felt rather repetive... :shucks: but sniping enemies while ducking from fire was something I have never experienced in Doom :thumb:

The atmosphere was glorious. The music, the sounds, everything fited well. It's just a pity all the idiots left me to go to the base alone because they couldn't get trough the blown up hole in the fence :? When I finished the level and rushed to the cage, bleeding I really said to myself-job well done marine :) Who said Doom lacks gameplay? ;)

Congrats Enjay. Upload it to the archives so this gem gets more attention. It deserves it :thumb:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks.

Again the towers are the weak part. ;) I knew the gameplay in them was a bit repetitive. Originally I toyed with not even allowing the player into them. But then I figured it'd be more satisfying to know you had actually got in there and killed every damned Inca in the place. Again the lack of space restricted what I could do, and the fact that the towers would be to a standard pattern in real life meant I decided to keep them fairly consistent.

The inside areas generally were intended to have a different pace. Obviously the MoHAA influence is pretty strong in this map and I tried to make the inside parts, especially the last little bit, feel like some of the small bunker/ bases that you get to fight through in that game. Mainly because my friend rates MoHAA very highly and he likes just going from room to room and killing every Nazi he can find, usually with a grenade and Thompson combination. So, it was done to please him really.

I was also going to have more landing craft and marine helpers, but it became quickly apparent that the Doom AI was just too dumb for it. So I just went for a small boat load of guys and enough Thing_hate going on to ensure that they usually die fairly early on anyway. At UV difficulty, there are usually around 40 enemies dead by the time the last marine buys the farm. Some of that will be Inca "friendly fire" but at least the marines do help a little.

Glad you liked the alternative pace of gameplay though. That really was the thrust of this map. So at least it sounds like it worked for you. :thumb:
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sounds good, i'll try it tomorrow and drop a review later.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Maybe I suck, but I found it incredibly, incredibly, incredibly, incredibly, incredibly hard.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It is hard, especially if you try using normal Doom tactics. You can't just run in and blast stuff, especially on the beach. You have to hide, wait 'til the bad guys have stopped shooting, duck out, take a shot and duck back again. Rinse and repeat.

I have completed it without getting killed ever on UV (only one time mind) but that took 38 minutes and a lot of dashing from cover to cover. :)

Like I said, the different pace of gameplay will not be to everyone's tastes.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”