[Not a ZDoom bug] Screen flash - framerate bug

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Softie

Screen flash - framerate bug

Post by Softie »

When the screen flashes, like when you pickup ammo or get shot at, the framerate briefly stutters (or maybe drops to 35 fps as i usally have framerates over a 100 per second). Using ZDoom 2.0.57.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is most likely an issue with your graphics card. For the screen flashes the palette has to be changed and some hardware doesn't do that well.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

If your framerate drops whenever the palette changes, then it is definitely an issue with your drivers (or possibly an actual hardware limitation). When the colors change, all ZDoom does is tell the driver what colors it wants to use, and then it's up to the driver to actually change the palette.
Softie

Post by Softie »

I have a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and I'm using Nvidias 52.16 drivers and DirectX 9.0b.

Is it possible to turn off changing of the palette to avoid the slow down.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Softie wrote:I have a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and I'm using Nvidias 52.16 drivers and DirectX 9.0b.

Is it possible to turn off changing of the palette to avoid the slow down.
No. It's the only way to do the screen flashes. The regular palette does not have enough colors.
Softie

Post by Softie »

I have another computer with a GeForce 4 Ti4400, 52.16 and DirectX 9.0b and when the palette changes it doesn't slow down the game. What can be the difference? To me it appears like it's nothing wrong with the driver rather some setting or something.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Computer hardware is a strange thing. Unfortunately things like this happen and nobody knows why.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Maybe something's running in the background that doesn't like palette changes.
Softie

Post by Softie »

I have now tested ZDoom on all my computers. Works on 2 out of 4, there is no logical explanation to why it does, seems like a lottery.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You have a lot of computers! ;)
Softie

Post by Softie »

Yeah, 4, but I really need a laptop too... :)

Anyone else having the same problem and maybe a solution (to the palette change thing :D)?

Been doing some testing and found out that the anomaly only occurs in fullscreen mode, not windowed...
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Is there anything that's running on the 2 computers that have problems, but not the other two? It really sounds like something's uin the background trying to keep track of palette changes, for whatever reason, and is draining your CPU. That would explain why you don't have a problem in windowed mode, because when you're windowed, the palette never actually changes (because there is no palette). It would only change the color look-up table Windows would use for ZDoom to translate the 8 bit source into a 16/32 bit display image.
Softie

Post by Softie »

I reinstalled windows on the two machines I had problem with and now it works on one more. The fourth computer has a Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller witch may be to old and slow for ZDoom...

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”