Cardboard Sprites

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Skunk

Cardboard Sprites

Post by Skunk »

Build styled cardboard sprites options. Sprites in Doom face the camera at all times, but cardboard sprites only face the direction they're pointing when placed in the map. There was also a cardboard sprite option to flip sprites down horizontaly, like a peice of paper, in build. These two tricks were used in many Build games along with K2 style bridges to give the illusion of 3D on bridges.

Example:
http://www.macgamefiles.com/imgs_screen/18448.jpg <-- Cardboard sprites

I couldn't find a good example of one of the bridges, but trust me... in game, you can't tell it's not 3D.
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

AFAIK horizontal sprites are not possible with the current state of the engine. Non-rotational sprites are already everywhere.... how could you not see them? They are prominent in such wads as action doom, or just about any wad with sprite bridges.

Horizontal sprites would be nifty though, albiet not possible atm.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

You can just make a line in DB and put a texture in. Same concept.
Like a no-littering sign in the park, or a stand-up of DoomGuy, WTFever you want as long as it's in the Texture list.

Of course... it is a texture... this is how I saw the Nukem sign. One big texture. Or several smaller ones.
Enjay

Re: Cardboard Sprites

Post by Enjay »

Skunk wrote:I couldn't find a good example of one of the bridges, but trust me... in game, you can't tell it's not 3D.
Pretty sure the bridge across to the exit switch in E1L1 of Duke is made from flat sprites.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

This has been suggested many, many times in the past. Standard answer: extremely difficult/impossible to do without completely rewriting the rendering system.
Skunk

Re: Cardboard Sprites

Post by Skunk »

Enjay wrote:
Skunk wrote:I couldn't find a good example of one of the bridges, but trust me... in game, you can't tell it's not 3D.
Pretty sure the bridge across to the exit switch in E1L1 of Duke is made from flat sprites.
It is. And until I started Doom editing I had no idea how the bridge worked, but that it did. I just wanted to try the same thing here so we could get perfect bridges in ZDoom. Well, not PERFECT, but you know what I mean.

EDIT: If it wasn't for the fact that Duke is deader than Shakespeare, I'd get back into Build mapmaking... if I could transfer my skills from ZDoom to Build I bet I could pull off some wicked stuff. :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

Skunk, I'm sure now that JFDuke is out, the Duke modding community has somewhat rised again.

But, yeah, editing the Duke engine is still kind of limited. If I remember correctly, even by doing complex CON files, you can't do something as simple as adding your own custom weapons.
Belial

Post by Belial »

Starship Troopers. Custom weapons only.

The Gate. Slight modification of the freezethrower, enemies don't freeze, they explode instantly.

And about using flat sprites, e2l7, Lunar Reactor, the vent shaft that crosses the chasm is made almost only from flat sprites, all sides of it.
LK873

Post by LK873 »

I guess none of you know about EDuke then, eh?
http://www.eduke32.com IIRC
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Belial - Exactly!
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

LK873 wrote:I guess none of you know about EDuke then, eh?
http://www.eduke32.com IIRC
All I need to know is this quote from the website...
It screams cool so loud you'll think Bruce Dickinson got uppercut in the balls by Freddy Krueger.
Nash

Post by Nash »

EDuke does look promising. Now if only it supported a map scripting system like ACS... ;P
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

This makes me think of all the talk about POLYMOST in ZDoom... It will be a glorious day if that ever does happen.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”