Another GADoom Release

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
GameArena
Location: Outside of a bubble... Looking at all the humans inside.

Another GADoom Release

Post by GameArena »

Alright, I've finally settled down enough to once again release a new version of GADoom. This version has quite a few new and hefty features. If you really want to see the new AI path node system in action, I suggest you play Enjay's Marine Assault (they'll find you ;) ), you can test it by running by all of the marines and dog at the "front door" and then try hiding in that room with the scientist, they'll come marching right in. Thanks to all of you who were testing this and giving me feedback before I got this release out.

Download it at http://modarchive.gnlive.com/files/gadoom.zip

Here's the changelog for this version:

Version 1.0.0.2-

*Fixed: When using custom firetypes with enemies some projectiles weren't fired correctly, they now are.

*Added: Global Mod File property <stimpackhealth>, which sets the amount of health given to the player when he/she picks up a stimpack. Valid values range from one to two hundred.

*Added: New actor stream modifer for use with mod files, <fixedspeed> can be used to set the current monster's default move speed. This can be set to an integer between 1 and 100.

*Improved: All of the AI (except Zcajun) now uses a path node system for tracking players. One of the cooler things about the system is the fact that path nodes are automatically generated and don't rely on any user editing. There are still several bugs to work out (sometime's they can't get through really tiny passageways or complicated stairways), but at any rate they can move around a lot better than before. It may be hard to notice as it's not too dramatic, but if you pay attention to how well they find you then you'll probably notice a slight difference.

*Added: Mod File modifer for Custom Firetype's, <projectile_speed> will set the projectiles speed to a user defined value between 1-*. Bullet based fire types can not have their speed altered.

*Improved: You can now use DOOM monster names as firetypes in Mod Files, for example:

<firetype>ZombieMan

It will automatically set that actor/weapon's firetype to use that of the doom monster. Oh and yes, using a "Revenant" firetype will allow for shooting of homing "missiles", even when fired by a player. Homing only locks on if the shot is aimed directly at the target and if the level time is divisible by three (for randomness). Right now there isn't a switch for allowing homing tactics in Custom firetypes (those which are completely new), I'm hoping to implement something such as a "flag" for homing ability next version.

*Added: New sector action special that can be activated when the sector floor has been shot. The action trigger ID is 9887 and works like any other sector special trigger, except if the floor has been shot by anyone, the special will be run.

*Added: APROP_LightLevel to the available actor properties retrievable using ACS. The property will return the light level in the actor's current sector. APROP_LightLevel is defined to 13.

*Added: APROP_SectorTag for ACS usage, it returns the actor's current sector's tag, this can also be used to set the sector tag. APROP_SectorTag is defined as 14.

*Added: APROP_FloorHeight and APROP_CeilingHeight to the actor property retrieving with ACS. The new properties are pretty straight foward, they just return the floor/ceiling height of the sector the actor is currently in. APROP_FloorHeight is 11 and APROP_CeilingHeight is 12.

*Added: Custom Game Menu for loading mods, at the moment all the mods are presets, and there aren't that many supported. In the future mod names will be defined through mod files so they'll show up in the Custom Game menu, but right now they are set up internally. When you select a mod you'll have a small wait until the doom loop reinitializes. People who have mods may send the required filenames and their sizes (in bytes) to resident_nutcase@hotmail.com and they will be added for the time being. This feature was a major headache to add because I had a memory leak somewhere and it caused constant crashes until I finally traced it into completely unrelated code :P .

*Added: You can now load files from the console without completely exiting out of GADoom, just use loadfile <file1> <file2> <file3 etc>. You can load up to 20 files at any given time, just use a different argument for each file. At the moment this will momentarily pause GADoom as the reinitialization takes place, then it will start the Doom Loop over again. Either wads or dehacked files can be loaded using loadfile. If you wish to load files for one session, (when you load a new file they will be removed) use loadfile mfile <file1> <etc>.

*Added: The ability to specify dehacked files (.deh) using the command line parameter -file, before you could only do so by using the -deh command line parameter.

*Fixed: When using sv_fastweapons with a value greater than 0, custom firetypes would not work correctly, now they do.

*Added: An option to enable a knife created by Scuba Steve through the Game Enhancement menu. Since it's a melee weapon and isn't TOO powerful, it's a non-spawned player weapon, meaning like the fists, the player will always hold the knife in inventory.

*Fixed: The "Player Kills" stat should now work.

*Fixed: Quiting using "quit" or "exit" will now save your stats.

*Added: An option to enable a flamethrower created by Scuba Steve through the Game Enhancement menu. I'm not that happy with the way it turned out when hard coded, I had to cut down on some pretty sweet effects I added originally to get a better framerate, however the frame now looks better (IMO). I'm working on some new rendering effects which may come in handy for improving both framerate and detail on the flame. Also, in multiplayer the flame thrower looks hideous, I'm going to fix it by setting a camera player flame and a non camera player projectile flame. The flamethrower spawnable ID is 2017.

*Added: Mod Files can now be placed internally within a wad, internal mod files are loaded from the the lump name "MODFILE".

*Added: New actor stream mod file modifer, <env_fs_activated>, it's a boolean value (so true or false), if true the current monster will have have footsteps, if false it won't.

*Added: Stat "rank", which is based on rate of kills and time played.

*Fixed: Enviromnental footsteps assigned through mod files wouldn't allow for 64+ textures per sound, now they overflow into a new map, so you may have more than 64 textures per individual sound.

*Improved?: Stacked health items will only produce one flash increment instead of many.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Looking forward to trying this, but I keep getting a "The page cannot be displayed" error. :(
GameArena

Post by GameArena »

Is it working now? The server must have been down.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, DL'ing right now :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK things I have spotted so far.

If I use the "Custom Game" menu (only one mod loaded) and use the up and down arrows, GADoom locks up pretty quickly. I mean a total lock up. One time I was able to Ctrl-Alt-Del and close GADoom. The other time I needed a hard reset - the first one since switching to XP in February. Also, I think the menu item should be nested somewhere. It messes up user made menu graphics.

The trail of nodes you leave behind for the AI would be far better if you could find some way of making them hit the floor and not activate TERRAIN defined splashes and sounds. At present they make a trail of splashes in water (not an awful effect mind) and lots of footstep sounds on my "noise only" defined terrain splashes. They are far too frequent and too noisy in these cases, and drown out footstep sounds.

Also, I'm not sure if the nodes should appear when using IDDT IDDT or not. It's quite interesting to see where you have been walking (although they do reset after a while - for good reason) but they clutter up the automap too. :?
Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

@ Enjay: I had a ZDoom lockup recently that seemed unrecoverable as well, but finally just waited it out. It was trying to allocate 120MB of RAM for a structure :shock: and when it finally cratered, XP took that as a sign it should prepare a dump for analysis (fine with me) but the dump then was also huge... Took about 12 minutes on a 2.4GHz machine but finally let loose.

Lesson to me was, if you see the disk "on" you're still okay but you have about 0.001% of the processor left for yourself. In my case it was worth it due to the large number of unsaved windows I happened to have open :oops:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think the second time was a proper lock up - no evidence of any activity at all. No flashing LEDs, nothing. :(

Oh and I've found another GADoom problem. Weapons hacks with DEH seem to be borked. My one had weapons using the wrong ammo, using wrong firing frames, firing wrong projectiles (as well as the right ones in the same firing cycle) and the wrong weapons appearing when the weapon button to select it was pressed. However, all other elements of the DEH patch (mainly hacked enemies - many of them) seemed to work. Something to do with the addition of the new weapons - which weren't enabled at the time BTW, even though I did get a brief glimpse of the knife graphic one time on running out of ammo for all the weapons I was carrying.
GameArena

Post by GameArena »

Alright I'll look into all of those problems, everything works fine on 98, but I'll have to do some research to fix the mod menu for XP. I've already fixed the nodes effecting splashes, and I'll try to get an updated release out as soon as possible. As for the dehacked, I didn't know it was effected by the new weapons, I'll check that out quickly too.
GameArena

Post by GameArena »

Alright I just uploaded another copy. Enjay, if you could send me the dehacked file that wasn't working I'll see what's causing bad firing frames, I have a good idea about the projectiles and it'll be moderately easy to fix. I fixed the ammo types being off, and that may solve some other problems as well. Here's the short changelog:

Version 1.0.0.2b-

*Improved?: Moved the custom game menu into options for the time being. I also updated the mod loading procedure to try to tackle XP related problems, but since I don't regularly use XP I have no means of determining if the problem with lockups on XP have been fixed.

*Fixed: Path Nodes from showing up on the automap.

*Fixed: Footsteps from occuring on sectors with custom splashes.

*Fixed: Ammo types in dehacked being off because of the new weapons.

The download link is still http://modarchive.gnlive.com/files/gadoom.zip .
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, I've extracted the relevant stuff from the main project and put it all in a WAD. I'll send you the dehacked patch in a WAD with a few graphics to make it look as it should. I'll not bother with custom sounds or anything so it will still sound a bit odd. Also, this is part of a much bigger dehacked mod so there will be all sorts of other odd things going on - decorations becoming enemies, invisible enemies because their sprites are not loaded, the player being too tall to get through some doors etc etc.

The extracted WAD seems to work pretty much as I would expect with Zdoom, but with GADoom there are still quite a few screwy things going on.

On the footsteps thing, it seems worse rather than better. I've attached a screeny (resized) that shows how many "footsteps" are landing. I did this by running backwards on a flat with a splash defined. However, I have a WAD which defines "splashless noise only terrains" for all the Doom flats. These give you "semi-footsteps" in as much as when you drop onto the floor you get a footstep sound, but not when you simply walk/run across it. However, in GADoom the footstep sound is being activated just as often as it is in the screenshot, so it sounds like you are accompanied by abouot 50 other marines all thundering down the corridor. :)

Again, I'm guessing this is caused not by the GADoom footstep code, but by the AI nodes being dropped on the ground behind the player. Is there a CVar or something I can use to turn off the nodes to test this theory?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

And after a complete lock up and reset, I can confirm the Custom Game menu is still a problem. :(
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've tried to send you the file a couple of times, and Hotmail keeps sending me a message saying the mail could not be delivered (is your account full?).

Anyway, I've uploaded the file at the location below:

[REMOVED]

Let me know when you have it so I can take it down again. I'm a bit short of web space.
Last edited by Enjay on Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GameArena

Post by GameArena »

I'm downloading the zip right now, hopefully it'll help me figure out what is going on with the foosteps and weapons. I'll also once again try to fix the custom game menu, it must be something different about XP because I've tested it on many different systems using 98 and it works without a hitch.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I didn't include any of the splash stuff in the above WAD. Do you want me to upload a copy of my basic splash WAD? I have a much bigger one I use for Aspects, but the Doom2 one zips up to about 400 KB.

Edit - Ahhh stuffit, I'll just upload anyway:

http://www.btinternet.com/~Enjay001/njsplash.zip

The file contains splashes defined for all the liquid floors, sound only splashes for the other flats, redefines all the doom switches to use different sounds and probably has a few things I forgot to trim out of the Aspects version. It works best if bullet puffs and blood splats have their mass reduced to less than 10. Items with mass lower than 10 make the smaller splash defined for any flat. These are silent in my terrain definitions. Howeverm the doom puffs and splats have a mass of 100 (IIRC) and so if you shoot the ground without lowering the mass, you get the full splash and it sounds like your bullet puffs are making footsep sounds.

Randy did have bullet puffs set to have a low mass for a while, but they were changed back. It'd be nice to have a cvar or something that changes a variety of debris types (bullet puffs, blood splats, glass shards and more) to have a low mass. That way they would make a small splash when they fall in the water, if a small splash has been defined in the terrain lump.
GameArena

Post by GameArena »

I've fixed the dehacked conflicts and uploaded the new file to http://modarchive.gnlive.com/files/gadoom.zip so now the modified weapons work fine. I'll grab the splashes zip and see if I can fix any problems revolving around splashes. Thanks for all of your help, I really really appreciate it!

Return to “Editing (Archive)”