Fix last few bugs in it and add Chex Quest as an IWAD

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

I noted that also. How else would they make it an IWAD without some kind of engine modification?
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Okay. I got the message "That Doesn't Seem to Work".

It may have been loading Zdoom.wad from a Doszdoom installation.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If that message comes you don't have a LOCKDEFS lump loaded. Which means you are loading an incorrect ZDoom.wad.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Then Chex Quest plays perfectly fine as an IWAD -and- I'm an idiot.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

MasterOFDeath wrote:I noted that also. How else would they make it an IWAD without some kind of engine modification?
Put in their own replacements for all the original lumps using the original id lump names (just like freedoom is doing). I thought they (Chex) had done that. Which lumps are just copies of the id ones ?
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Enjay wrote:Put in their own replacements for all the original lumps using the original id lump names (just like freedoom is doing). I thought they (Chex) had done that. Which lumps are just copies of the id ones ?
Well, if you run it in ZDoom it seems to have the entire E4 of The Ultimate Doom.

Unless somehow I screwed up even worse.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Arcane wrote:Unless somehow I screwed up even worse.
I think you did. IIRC The original Chex release wad a replacement for the Doom1 shareware wad. It should only contain replacements for the lumps found in that WAD. You must be loading it as a PWAD on top of Ultimate Doom's IWAD.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

My command prompt line is

zdoom -iwad chex.wad

So I guess something even more bizarre is happening.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I remember that - I thought you had to actually purchase The Ultimate Doom (and that there was no conversion patch), and I figured out a workaround to get Episode 4 out of Chex Quest (I believe it involved switching the Doom IWAD with the Chex Quest IWAD, then running it with -file chex.wad to get the Doom graphics back).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Arcane wrote:zdoom -iwad chex.wad
If Chex is a proper IWAD, then that should work. Do you have the full, unaltered Chex as it came on the serial box or a modified version? I think Chex maybe came out before Episode 4 was added to Doom. So episode 4 bing in the wad is suspect to say the least. Do you have any other episodes? The original Chex was one episode. Later Chex adventures were made though. I think these were only available as downloads and I don't think they were IWADs. Some used ripped graphics from other projects.

I'm pretty sure Chex came with a modified exe (dehacked to changes strings). Does your copy have a dehacked patch with it or even in the WAD?
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

chex quest 1 only had 1 episode. it was the doom shareware with different graphics. because all of the resource names are the same. there was a chex quest 2, but I think that used doom 2 as the base. I stil have the original cd of chex quest 1. so does that sort of answer anyones question... srry im half asleep at the moment.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I used the Chex Quest found in the cereal box. I think I got it the day it came out.

Chex Quest 2 was actually a PWAD designed for the original Chex Quest. When you'd download it from the website, it'd come with a batch file that read "chex -file chex2.wad"
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

Just to settle the debate on wether or not Chex Quest contians UD:
Yes it does:

EDIT: Oops! posting the output in spoilers jesus' the thread, I'll attach it

In case anyone wants it:
Spoiler: LumpList source
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Is there any way to get all the new hacked info out of the Chex.exe, since that is how the wad is supposed to played and all. Playing it without the Chex.exe makes it all like Doom with graphics replacement, like when you run it with Zdoom or just doom -file chex.wad.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Bio Hazard wrote:Just to settle the debate on wether or not Chex Quest contians UD:
Yes it does
Yay! <3

Thanks for helping out here. :P

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”