ACS_Change Global Pallette

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

ACS_Change Global Pallette

Post by Nmn »

I had an idea with this that really might be useful for some. The title is a self-explanatory. The wad contains different pallettes and this function changes the default one to another one and affects the activator, or all players (2nd parameter, first one would be the pallette name).

Getting pallettes isn't hard-xwe and inkworks do their job well :)

Let's say I have 2 pallettes-the Doom pallette and a version with all colors in cyan or a pretty aquamarine (Doom lacks Cyan).
What happens when I go underwater? Instead of this royalblue I could see a nice watery color if it was possible to change pallettes with ACS. This could easily fake the lack of 24 bits in colored sectors ;) only in this situation tough :?

This could lead to some interesting things, like black and whiting the player's view and such (Zdoom doesn't support tricks with the invulnerability, that could be done with Inkworks-see Hacx's invulnerability as an example). Or maybe System Shock-esque Berserk patch side-effect? Custom night goggles that brighten everything and invert values (so it becomes bright) and have a nice green tint?

A real use for it (for me or artists who attempt to make their own cutscenes in the game via pictures) would be in making cutscenes from static pictures-more than often the pallette ruins them. What if I could set up a custom pallette for the moment the picture is displayed? ;) I could get that pallette with Inkworks from that very image and it would remain untouched. The picture would be displayed Strife-intro way so the player wouldn't see the messed up game world by the custom picture's pallette ;)

This is actually implemented (see-Heretic's 2nd episode "endpic") but I kindly ask for control over it via ACS.

If the pallettes could also have their own colormaps this would lead to many interesting visual effects :)

Looking forward.
Last edited by Nmn on Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not that easy. There are several internal translation tables that had to be adjusted for it to work - and the palette would still need to be compatible with all graphics present in the game or you'd get some visual corruption - most likely in the console.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

But even limited palettes would be cool. It would be up to the user to ensure they were suitable - just like any other 3rd party resource. Imagine being able to play map01 with the regular palette, map02 with my marine assault one, map03 with the zen dynamics one...

All of those are legal, usable palettes that change individual colour ranges to reasonable and suitable alternatives for easy plug and play palette changing. Wouldn't that be good, usable and possible?
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Exactly. For one map the pallette may have greens for trees.

In the other map it may have pretty cyans for some crystals of some sort. This is definately something as a Graphic artist I'm looking forward too. The best use for it would surely be the sky :)
One map-pretty blue sky
2nd map-a violet-blue night time sky
3rd map-a cyanic freaky nebula :)
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Graf Zahl wrote:Not that easy. There are several internal translation tables that had to be adjusted for it to work - and the palette would still need to be compatible with all graphics present in the game or you'd get some visual corruption - most likely in the console.
Who opens the console when they're going for pure gameplay? I personally don't use it unless I'm screwing around with Freeze and summon.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Well you never know when you might want to change a binding or whatnot.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nmn wrote:One map-pretty blue sky
2nd map-a violet-blue night time sky
3rd map-a cyanic freaky nebula :)
And all using the same graphic. ;)

Actually, yes, your ideas are exactly the sort of uses I would want to put global palette changes to as well.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

There are many ways for utilizing this IMO. Most Build engine games did not used this feature for nothing!
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Nmn wrote:There are many ways for utilizing this IMO. Most Build engine games did not used this feature for nothing!
Best. English. Ever.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Arcane wrote: Best. English. Ever.
Most useful post ever :P

that and stfu mrs. Cromwell ;)
Ryan Cordell
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Ryan Cordell »

Nmn wrote:There are many ways for utilizing this IMO. Most Build engine games did not used this feature for nothing!
In ZDoom, this may come but in Duke, all it was needed was to define the pallete of an object through BUILD, like a wall, sky, object, enemy or such. Fairly simple.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Did Duke actually use different palettes? I thought it did something more like the translation function we already have in Zdoom.
Ajapted

Post by Ajapted »

There's no way Duke would allow completely different palettes on different objects/surfaces at the same time. I'm guessing the 'palette' property was just a remap table.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Exactly.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Even the underwater palette? I always thought that was a completely different palette.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”