[v2.5a /idgames Release!] Zen Dynamics: A ZDoom Revolution

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

BTW, I've done reloading without ACS :biggrin:

EDIT: Update with a bug fix
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Adrian wrote:On map03 so far.

The first bossfight was fairly easy. Keep your distance and keep shooting. Make him really scare the crap out of you by having loads of dust shoot up in the air when each bullet hits.
O_O HOLY CRAP. That's actually a cool idea. Xaser, you just need to make cloud bulletpuffs and have your monster use those for its custom bullet attack.
ler

Post by ler »

Am I too late to give my thoughts? I hope not.

Anyway I find that on HMP there is far too little health. It's to the point where it's nearly impossible to play simply because of the lack of health. If you did this purposely to make your wad harder, you fail :/. Hopefully you just made a mistake or something though. I'd hate for this to lower the impact of the wad. Another thing I found annoying was the generally cramped feel you had. This makes for frustrating fights rather than challenging and enjoyable.

The reloading itself is done pretty well, but I would have preferred to have weapons picked up loaded. Really, the only thing that's bad about the reloading is that it's quite slow, thus hampering combat by quite a bit when you're being hammered and you want to bust down your enemies. Also, the new enemies seem too beefed up, and some are just plain cheap (the maelstrom comes to mind; that blue fireball is far too powerful).

Unfortunately if I were to rate this out of 5 right now I'd have to give it a 2. The lack of health, cramped environments, and the slow reload times bring this wad to its knees.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Heh, my complaints are about the overpowered monsters. Maelstrom and Cacophytes have too powerful projectiles for their enemy type- Cacophyte's shot should be much slower, between a cacodemon's and an imp's. And Maelstrom? What ler said. Also, those Warlord Imps are too strong, even with less health- they were created to be boss characters for a reason.

I find too MANY overpowered monsters for my liking. If it weren't for that I wouldn't even complain about the lack of health, because I wouldn't need it.

EDIT: DarkArchon, just played with your Zen machinegun. Uh, I recommend from now on that you use JumpIfInventory("GunAmmo",0,x) to check for the maximum possible ammo you can carry. It will save headaches later should you decide that the weapon needs more ammo in its clip! (Or for example if the backpack should give you the use of extended clips, they would be doable with that check!)
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

*gets bombarded with timeline images*

Yes i'm slow, but I want my say.

Most impressed I am, not only because of the 1337ness of the wad itself, but because of the reloading system which gives it a very perfect dark feel to it (And most of the weapons remind me of PD weapons also). After the first level I decided it was getting good.

The bosses are tough, which is what alot of FPS's lack these days thanks to strafe. The enemies are placed well, and since there is a variety of new enemies to see you get nice bunches of enemies you won't have seen for a while when you don't expect to see them.

All the weapons are amazing. Very fluid animations. The only nag is the lack of ammo, which seems to be the only drawback of the wad. Half the time I was running around trying to find tid bits of ammo to finish off the last few hellknights or whatever, and running into another area of enemies.

Levels are awesome, packed with scripts and zdoom features. Tormentor can't complain here, since most of the levels are loaded with detail (Infact, the church area lagged me to oblivion with all those slopes).

One word. Jawesome. The adrenaline of this wad makes it to the 2nd place of my top 3 awesomeness wads. Byebye Void.

1. Claustophobia
2. Zen Dynamics
3. Zdoom community map 1

My only problem with the wad is that sometimes, the final boss teleports and NEVER comes back. This totally ruined it for me since I had to redo the whole map. Anyway, that doesn't stop me from giving this wad 5/5 lightsabres (all stolen from jedi slime).

ImageImageImageImageImage
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'm only dl'ing this today, I'll test it out and get back to you (I've been busy recently and only got .96x a couple of days ago).

EDIT: I downloaded the one on the first page, and it all orked, except the baphomet wasn't coming back after firing the cubes and going. Aside from that, great wad, it's amazing. The reloading is very well animated. I hate those cacophytes though...
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Perfect Dark reloaded my guns when they were out of ammo. If it doesn't do that, it doesn't feel Perfect Dark-ish.
Belial

Post by Belial »

I'll just go the n00bish way and ask:

Could anyone point me to the latest download link for the wad and the .96x version that the wad works with?
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Belial wrote:I'll just go the n00bish way and ask:

Could anyone point me to the latest download link for the wad and the .96x version that the wad works with?
Seconded. I've been patient, but none of the links in the thread have ever worked for me... Pls help!
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Same here... I dunno which versions of which work with what.... that's the problem with all of these unoffical betas and crap.
BouncyTEM
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Bouncy wrote:for those who either can't get it via rapidshare OR are too stubborn to use rapidshare

http://www.armbcr.org/uploads/zendyn_x.zip

i'm not going to have it up forever, so you know...so get it while you can!
does this one work for any of you? this is the latest {last i checked}
Belial

Post by Belial »

If that's the latest then I already have it.

About .96x, is there any particular version that this works with or can I just look for the most recent one?
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Works for me (now).

Stupid GetRight...
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Belial wrote:... About .96x, is there any particular version that this works with or can I just look for the most recent one?
It should read ZDOOM 2.0.96x-2 [The Ultimate ZDoom][Jun 22 2005] in the top left corner.
Belial

Post by Belial »

That might be a problem: Last update: 07/11/05 10:34:10

It died on the first switch.

If someone could upload a compatible version of ZDoom somewhere (.96x or kgZDoom)...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”