[Concept map] Halo shielding system (COMPLETED)

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.

Do you want the source?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 18

Apothem

[Concept map] Halo shielding system (COMPLETED)

Post by Apothem »

I've been working on a replica of the halo shielding system, and I finally got it to work. It works in both single player and multiplayer. The wad itself is just a simple room with a switch that damages you so you can test the shielding effects. (Sorry, I'm a god awful mapper and couldnt really come up with much for monsters)

EDIT: Please post your feedback on this concept. The more the merrier.

EDIT2: Fixed the whole dying and health and shielding still being at 100...

EDIT3: Implemented SFX for shielding system, giving warnings for low shields, shielding down, and shielding recharging!

EDIT4: Got the SFX to work in multiplayer, and re-did the display routine.

EDIT5: After much strugle with ACS's fixed numbers system... I finally got the graphical shielding bar to work they way i wanted it to! Hurray!

EDIT6: Got the graphical shield bar to work in multiplayer.... Now all i have to do is get it to work for 8 players instead of 2 :)

EDIT7: Oh jeez, I forgot to implement the overshield. Gimmie a little bit for that.

EDIT8: Okay, crude overshield display is implemented. Special thanks to solarsnowfall for the help with the new Shielding bar and related GFX. :D webspace is updated so download and check out the new version! Note: Right now, since i havent implemented a new drawing routine, it will only work in 800 x 600 resolution... Sorry! :oops:

EDIT9: Yay! Got the overshielding to display properly.. Last thing on the todo list is to get this working on all resolutions. Wish me luck :P

EDIT10: Wow, after all this work, it's finally done and is 100% functional for player 1. All that's left is multiplayer compadibility... Which is easy as pie since i set it all up with arrays! :D So all it's gonna take a is a quick copy - paste 6 times and fix it all up. Thanks to everyone for their support!

EDIT11: Just added a poll, out of curiousity sake, to see how many people want the source code to this project for their own use.

EDIT12: This project is complete. Thanks to solarsnowfall for the shieldbar gfx and to everyone else for their interest with this project.

And as promised, here's the source code:
Spoiler:
that's 1768 lines of code right there.... It's a lot.

And as always, Please make sure to put credit for my work inside your txt files when you do go to use this in your own wads :wink: Thanks

http://apothem.theomniverse.com/shielding
Last edited by Apothem on Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:08 pm, edited 19 times in total.
wario

Post by wario »

i hav never played halo so i dont know how the shield goes, but it is pretty neat. are you making a halo mod :shock: ?
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

wario wrote:i hav never played halo so i dont know how the shield goes, but it is pretty neat. are you making a halo mod :shock: ?
Hehehe, Maybe!! Depends on if a couple other concept wads make it through the grinder, and if they do, expect a full-blown Halo mod. Either that or a really fun Multiplayer TC 8-)
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Hey thats pretty good! I always wondered if there was a way to make Halo Sheilds in Doom. :)
ace

Post by ace »

While the numbers get a bit jumpy on-screen, it is a pretty good interpretation of Halo's sheild system. Nice work! :D
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

ace wrote:While the numbers get a bit jumpy on-screen, it is a pretty good interpretation of Halo's sheild system. Nice work! :D
Numbers get a bit jumpy? :?: What do you mean by that? Like i know they flicker a little bit, but that's just because of the way the display routine is set up, but anything in particular happen?
KTD

Post by KTD »

I never played Halo so it may be normal, but...
Get shield. Summon cyberdemon. Make him shoot a rocket at you. You may get a corpse with 100% health...
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

Unfortunately, due to the way the shielding is done, not all damage is prevented. So in essence the original weapon balance is preserved while adding a little something extra to the side. Since there's no REAL way to freeze health, i just restore it back to it's original value, and if it drops down to 0, too bad. :?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I'm working on DECORATEs of my Halo Weapons Mod. I've got the shotgun and pistol finished, and they look S-E-X-Y. Reloads, melee, selection animations...the works. I'd be willing to help, if you want it. Only problem is, each weapon is about 45 - 50 frames, each hand-edited. It's slow work.

If you want the original Haloguns.wad (small), I'd be happy to e-mail it to you.

8-)
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

:shock: Wow, don't over work yourself. If you're doing that tho, i'd love to work with you on recreating a map or two from halo 1.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I don't see why you'd need this, since we have armor. Also some powerful attacks will destroy you but not the shield.
ace

Post by ace »

Apothem wrote:Numbers get a bit jumpy? :?: What do you mean by that? Like i know they flicker a little bit, but that's just because of the way the display routine is set up, but anything in particular happen?
Sorry for a late reply, but that's what I meant, they flicker. Still, it's a cool trick. And I'm also looking forward to those sexy Halo guns. :p
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

cutmanmike wrote:I don't see why you'd need this, since we have armor. Also some powerful attacks will destroy you but not the shield.
The powerful attacks work the same way in both games, so in reality, it's a perfect clone of the shielding system. If you took a rocket head on in Halo, it kills you, just like it does in this. Same goes for SSG shots. It all works the same. But naturally, when we have the halo weapon set ready, we'll be able to circumvent all that *debateable* stuff.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

Okay, i need a favor from a sprite artist!! I need a set of sprites for a car for the vehicle experiment! Please PM me or post here if you have, or know where i can get, some sprites to use as a car object in this experiment and upcoming concept map! Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :)
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

If there was a way to make that yellow screen tint, or even better - green, for pain with sheild, that would be cool.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”