[Not a ZDoom bug] Windows icons

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
cccp_leha

Windows icons

Post by cccp_leha »

Once in a while, when I exit ZDoom, all the icons in Windows get switched/discoloured, for example: massm2.txt -> .exe icon w/ blue color scheme; zdoom.exe -> Winzip icon, etc. Anyone else?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

I don't know, it does that to me too ... normally a restart fixes it...
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

Me too...

That's not really a bug caused by ZDoom, as far as I know. Sometimes when you quit a program that is running in fullscreen, the desktop refreshes itself, and sometimes the icons will be messed up (wrong colors, abnormal changes to other icons, etc.).

It's basically a harmless error, but if you wait a bit, the icons will return to normal (it works for me ^_^). If more problems occur, just do what Destroyer does and restart your computer.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Lol! :lol:

This happens *ALOT* With me, but I just find it funny as hell! The Icons get switched very often, but I usually ignore it. Then again, it seems to add a bit of variety here and there, don't ya think? :)

Let's see... what do I have now... Text files have Winzip Icon. Exes have Doom Connector's icon. WAV files have crappy MIDI editor Icon...
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

That's because Zdoom switches to 8-bit AFAIK (it still uses a 256 color
palette) and thus if it doesnot cleanly switch/exit, your desktop is messed up.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

This has happened to me since Windows 95. :P

Tweak UI (available with Win 98 & ME at least) has a feature that lets you rebuild the icon database, thus fixing all the icons.

Win XP automagically detects the problem and fixes the icons a few seconds after the desktop is restored.

I don't know about 2000 as I've never used it.
Zell

Post by Zell »

lol it happens to me whenever i leave CS..lol i luahg preety hard when all my txt files become mp3 files lol

lol i have winXP but that icon refresher doesnt work 4 me =p
it leaves my icons the same 4 hours, days on end lol
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Zell wrote:lol it happens to me whenever i leave CS..lol i luahg preety hard when all my txt files become mp3 files lol

lol i have winXP but that icon refresher doesnt work 4 me =p
it leaves my icons the same 4 hours, days on end lol
Most likely because you're playing a craptastic mod like CS. Might I suggest something different?
Fredrik

Post by Fredrik »

It's Windows that screws up the icon cache. To fix it, delete the file C:\WINNT\ShellIconCache (the path might be different depending on the Windows version). You might have to kill the explorer.exe process, reboot or otherwise restart your desktop before it takes effect.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

It's funny how CS is "craptastic" and old, yet it's popularity is still through the roof...(shit, this will turn into another "CS sux -> no it dont -> FU....)
Zell

Post by Zell »

It's funny how CS is "craptastic" and old, yet it's popularity is still through the roof...(shit, this will turn into another "CS sux -> no it dont -> FU....)
Well, i dont thikn anything sux unless it really does. Im just so involved with CS, clans, friends, and such that i dont really play much else besides doom, HL, OP4, CS, and other HL style games. I also play quake3 arena.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

If by "Popularity" you mean "Ease of obtaining cheats" (Just do a search for a CS clan page... ANY clan page... and you'll see what I mean), then you've got me there.
Zell

Post by Zell »

not ours. ours is pure..lol just today someone was cuaght cheating. he was banned 4 24 hrs, nect is permanent
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

HotWax wrote:If by "Popularity" you mean "Ease of obtaining cheats" (Just do a search for a CS clan page... ANY clan page... and you'll see what I mean), then you've got me there.
lol, very true, it's just that for me, CS was the first game after Doom (I was kinda under a rock), so I was very amazed by what happened to games...BTW, funny enough, my pump shotty skills in CS are thanks to Doom.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Zell wrote:he was banned 4 24 hrs
OMG NO!!!! NOT 24 WHOLE HOURS!!! NOT AN ENTIRE DAY!!!!!!!!

That seems a bit leniant. But then it's CS.

A clan was caught cheating in TC about a year ago. They've been banned from every server ever since.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”