DeathHeight

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
LilWhiteMouse

DeathHeight

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

How do you use DeathHeight and SolidOnDeath? I tried the following projectile decoration:

Code: Select all

projectile PHumanScaleTree
{
SpawnNum 255
Sprite TREX
Frames "A"
DeathSprite TREX
DeathFrames "AA"
Radius 16
Height 128
DeathHeight 128
SolidOnDeath
Speed 70
Damage 0
NoBlockmap
NoGravity
NoTeleport
}
But when I run ZDoom, it gives me this error:

Script error, "DECORATE" line 10:
Bad syntax.
I've also tried with no number, and the number in quotes, but I get the same error. The same "Bad syntax" error appears for line 11, "SolidOnDeath". So how do you use them?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The Bad Syntax basically means that you typed the command wrong. Wait... you already knew that, didn't you? Anyway, It's probably not SolidOnDeath like you think. It may be something like SolidDeath or SolidCorpse (no, wait... that's Legacy). I've never used this before, so don't ask me what it actually is, because I don't know. I'm just trying to help the best I can. The DeathHeight seems to be working ok, though (no Bad Syntax there).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Does anyone have a note of the new destroyable decorate item parameters? (I'm guessing LilWhiteMouse does.) If so, could you please copy them here?

IIRC they were listed on the old forum and it hasn't been restored yet.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Here's what I copied from the old forum, but it doesn't seem to be accurate because of my problem.

DeathFrames - Like frames, but gets played when the actor dies.

IceDeathFrames - Like DeathFrames, except it is used when the actor freezes to death.

BurnDeathFrames - Like DeathFrames, except it is used when the actor burns to death.

GenericIceDeath - Like IceDeathFrames, except you don't specify any frames here. The game will create a generic ice death for you.

BurnsAway - If you include this, then the thing disappears after it finishes the BurnDeathFrames animation. Otherwise, it stays at the last frame in the sequence.

DiesAway - Like BurnsAway, but it applies to normal DeathFrames instead.

DeathHeight - How tall the actor is after a normal death.

SolidOnDeath - Include this, and the actor will stick block you after it dies. Useful with DeathHeight.

BurnHeight - How tall the actor is after a burning death.

SolidOnBurn - Include this, and the actor will still block you after it burns to death. Useful with BurnHeight.

DeathSound - Sound the actor makes during a normal death.

BurnDeathSound - Sound the actor makes during a burning death.

Health - The actor's initial health.

Here's the decoration I used for testing (needs hexen.wad):

breakable FooTree
{
Sprite TRDT
Frames A
DeathFrames BCDEFG
GenericIceDeath
BurnDeathFrames H*I*J*K*L*M*N*OPQ
BurnDeathSound TreeExplode
BurnHeight 20
SolidOnBurn
SolidOnDeath
DeathHeight 20
DeathSound BishopDeath
Solid
Radius 15
Height 180
Health 70
Mass 700000
NoBlood
BurnsAway
DiesAway
}

In ZDoom 2.0.46, you can create new projectiles using DECORATE. The format is basically the same as for normal decorations, except you add the keyword "projectile" before its name, and you get to define the following additional properties:

DeathSprite - Sprite used when the projectile "dies".

DeathFrames - Animation sequence when the projectile "dies".

ExplosionRadius - Distance from the projectile's impact that its explosion can be felt.

ExplosionDamage - Amount of explosion damage done at the projectile's impact site. This is separate from Damage, and if you don't specify it, it will be the same as ExplosionRadius.

DoNotHurtShooter - Explosion damage does not hurt the thing that shot it.

DamageType - Can be one of Normal, Fire, or Ice.

Speed - How fast the projectile moves when you spawn it with the summon cheat.

SpawnSound - Sound the projectile makes when it spawns.

DeathSound - Sound the projectile makes when it "dies".

Damage. This is the damage the projectile does to whatever it directly hits and is actually a random amount based on the value you specify for it here.
And here's the projectile I used for testing:

projectile FooShot
{
SpawnNum 255
Sprite PLSS
Frames "24:AB"
DeathSprite PLSE
DeathFrames "ABCDE"
Radius 13
Height 8
Speed 70
Damage 1
NoBlockmap
NoGravity
ActivatePCross
ActivateImpact
NoTeleport
SpawnSound "weapons/plasmaf"
DeathSound "weapons/rocklx"
ExplosionRadius 1024
ExplosionDamage 16
DamageType Ice
DoNotHurtShooter
}
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the list.

All I can add to the problem is that both SolidOnDeath and DeathHeight seem to give a problem. Comment out either one, and the other still gives an error. Comment them both out and the lump loads.

Hang on... just had an idea... :idea:

Yup, it seems these were not intended for use with projectiles. Make the item "breakable" instead of projectile, remove any projectile specific stuff (eg speed) and it loads.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”