Weird UDB(?) Problem with corrupted visuals

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
necros

Weird UDB(?) Problem with corrupted visuals

Post by necros »

Hey guys, I am not sure where to ask this as I think this is something to do with Ultimate Doom Builder and it's very bizarre and has me completely stumped.

I have not used UDB in years and just started mapping again a couple of days ago. UDB is up to date using the built in updater and I just updated GZDoom to 4.12.1 (but this problem happened in the older 4.0ish version I was using as well).

Basically, I will perform some random action like putting in a Torch object, or align a floor texture, and when I load the map into GZDoom, all the walls and floors look messed up:
busted.jpg
It seems like collisions are fine, I can still walk around and the level geometry doesn't seem affected, just the visuals.

Now I quit GZDoom, go back to UDB and press Ctrl+Z to undo. Then immediately after, i press Ctrl+Y to redo everything. When I check in GZDoom, suddenly everything is OK again:
notbusted.jpg
What? I feel like I'm being gaslighted here... I can't seem to find any mention about this happening, so I'm seriously confused...

When I used UDB several years ago (like, back in 2021), I never used to have this problem, so it's obviously something that has happened in some update since then.

Edit: I've realized it actually doesn't matter what, all I need to do is Undo ONCE and then Redo and re-run the map and it gets fixed. This is definitely some weird kind of bug.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Weird UDB(?) Problem with corrupted visuals

Post by Kappes Buur »

Rather than guessing about what your problem might be
I suggest that you provide a link to the map for inspection
and finding a probable cause.
necros

Post by necros »

So this happens with ANY map I work on, New, started in the current version of UDB or old which was started in a much older version.

There is definitely something weird going on. I was going to upload the map in it's 'broken' state, but when I load the map by just dragging/dropping onto gzdoom it looks fine.

Ok, so then I quit UDB and restarted and reloaded the map. Now it looks fine too.

This must be something going on when I use the UDB "Test Map" function. I managed to cause it to happen again and this time I snagged the .wad in the temp folder. This one does show up weird so it must be the culprit.

I've uploaded 3 files in a zip here: http://shoresofnis.com/temp/doom/weird_ ... _issue.zip
  • ne_maps.wad is the file as saved by UDB (no problems with it)
  • jv0afznw.wad is the file that was in the appdata folder (this one is broken)
  • cg5rpcn5.tmp I don't know what this is, but I included it in case...
Unfortunately, I have no idea what causes it to occur. I just do some editing for a few minutes and check in gzdoom with the "Test Map" function every once in a while until it happens.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

As far as I can tell, all 3 files are the same map.
Nowhere can I see what you show in the 2 screenshots above,
but there is a trivial issue with the lack of some textures which
was quickly resolved by loading the OTEX texture pack.

I had no problem playing your map with either
directly through GZDoom or through UDB
Magnus1972
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Magnus1972 »

Don't know if it'll help but I had the same problem when I was running windows 7, switched to windows 10, now 11 and none of this problem anymore.
necros

Post by necros »

I figured out what was causing it.

I normally turn off building nodes on saving, to speed up autosave times and leave node building on for testing maps. Looks like something was broken in the code, if you don't save a map (eg: it is 'dirty', signified by the little circle next to the name in the titlebar) and test the map, UDB will properly build the nodes and copy the wad file into the temp folder for playing.
If you save the map, UDB just copies the map file without building the nodes hence why it looks weird, but loads into the editor normally.

This is why I would get the issue randomly, I sometimes save the map before testing, but not always if it's a smaller change or I'm rapidly iterating.

This can be worked around by turning on node building on save, but I hope it gets fixed soon as the extra delay during autosaves is pretty annoying.

Return to “Mapping”