Wall lower special gets stuck if obstructed

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Wall lower special gets stuck if obstructed

Post by Baratus »

I was playing Vanguard with GZDoom 4.11.3 and noticed some walls were refusing to lower when either activated by a walkover line or a switch. This looks very strange and softlocks the player by making areas of the map inaccessible.
Spoiler:
See these screenshots - the first one shows that these sectors in Vanguard MAP02 are not lowering, with Imps stuck in the ceiling, perhaps causing the sectors to be jammed.
This occurs in other places such as this square area also in MAP02, that has a vital switch in it needed for progression.
Similar deal to this area in Vanguard which is meant to lower to reveal a Yellow Key with a mancubus on it, problem being... it doesn't.
You can hear the wall lowering sound by standing close to these sectors, but they won't move.
In all of these examples, it appears that the blockage is caused by monsters being too close to the lowering sector.

On further inspection, compatflags is also a factor because I was in Boom compatibility mode when this happened. Changing the compatflags will cause the sectors to react differently. Changing the compatflags from Boom to Doom (Strict) makes the sector on the right lower, but not the left, with the Imp slightly closer to the wall.
This only seems to happen with Doom and Doom (Strict) modes. (It was happening consistently for Boom format too, but I checked it again on Boom compat and couldn't replicate it, but I CAN replicate it when in Doom Strict compat. Yeah, I don't know.)

Spoiler: My Computer Specs
simc

Re: Wall lower special gets stuck if obstructed

Post by simc »

The same issue might have happened in here: viewtopic.php?t=78579

That Doom2 MAP28 stuck floor occurred in GZDoom 4.11.0 - 4.11.3.a but only on Doom or Doom (strict) compatibility modes. It doesn't happen in the 4.12 devbuilds now.

In both Doom2 MAP28 and Vanguard MAP02 stuck floors there are items partly inside a wall on the lowering floor or on a sector next to it. The Doom2 MAP28 blocking didn't seem to occur on any other compat modes.
june gloom
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Wall lower special gets stuck if obstructed

Post by june gloom »

I can confirm this also happens in the secret level of No Rest for the Living, Morbid Autumn MAP03 and Tom Mustaine's PARADOX.wad from Master Levels.

[ETA] Interestingly enough, it also happens in Boom compatibility and IIRC I was using default compatibility for Morbid Autumn. All on 4.11.1.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”