Door from line

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Spaceshiporion

Door from line

Post by Spaceshiporion »

I'm trying to make a door from a line, so I can use the grate texture.

But when I activate the door, the entire room acts like a door instead. Don't know why.
Anyone know how to fix it?
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Door from line

Post by ramon.dexter »

You cannot 'fix' expected behaviour. You're making a door out of the whole sector, that's why.
If you want to make a single line door, the option is to use polyobjects. So, search the zdoom wiki for 'polyobject'.
Spaceshiporion

Post by Spaceshiporion »

ramon.dexter wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:23 am You cannot 'fix' expected behaviour. You're making a door out of the whole sector, that's why.
If you want to make a single line door, the option is to use polyobjects. So, search the zdoom wiki for 'polyobject'.
Thank you so much.
I knew I must’ve missed something.
schkorpio
Operating System Version (Optional): 10
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by schkorpio »

There's a few ways that I've found work well for grate doors:

1)
You can execute a script to open grate doors, but they look like the disappear instantly which is fine if the player is not looking or if it suit a door that opens quickly
-Remove the "impassable" flag
-Change the grate texture to empty
-Play door quickly type SFX

2)
Create a 3D (special action 160) dummy sector with the grate texture on all 6 sides
Then draw your door with reference to the dummy sector like you normally would when creating a 3D floor / platform
When you press the "open door" button make it move the floor and ceiling upwards of the dummy sector (not the actual platform) - the moving the floor and ceiling of the dummy sector makes the platform move too.
Make sure the sides aren't actually touching any walls, otherwise the player will be able to see through them.

This way is a bit more work, in the editor, but you don't need to script anything as you can use special actions. The benefit being is that you can set the speed of the door opening or lowering, and it's also a 6 sided block so you can texture the bottom or top of it too.

Have a look in my Demon's Souls Hexen map pack, I use the #1 way on the first map (to open the end of level portal) and the #2 way on the last map to open up passages in the underground sewer looking area.
Magnus1972
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Magnus1972 »

Not sure if this is what your asking but I searched for a long time to find this kind of thing. I made a basic wad to show a gate from a line.
Attachments
gate.wad
(7.14 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Return to “Mapping”