(WIP) Super Doom! - A SNES Doom gameplay mod/conversion

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Clownman

(WIP) Super Doom! - A SNES Doom gameplay mod/conversion

Post by Clownman »

During Quarantine, I began working on a new project in my free time on-and-off. Now, First off. Doom has a surprisingly interesting history with Nintendo, and it's not something often talked about. The first entry, on Nintendo systems being the infamous port of Doom on the Super Nintendo. While it's generally agreed to have not aged well, It was remarkable for the time considering it ran on inferior hardware, and I always found the little differences in mechanics and gameplay quirks interesting. With hearing recent news that Randy Linden, The man behind the port, is soon to release the official source code for it and with Doom 2016 on, and the upcoming Doom Eternal coming to Switch - I felt more motivated to put more time into my mod, in hopes to finish it. Introducing Super Doom. A gameplay mod that aims to recreate and emulate the SNES experience as much as possible on the GZDoom engine. This mod is meant to be near-universal and should not only be compatible with nearly all vanilla mappacks (so long as they don't add any new monsters, textures or weapons), but is also planned to have content for Doom 2, along with optional graphics/resources to run the game with to make your game feel more like the SNES experience.

How this even started to begin with, is a funny story. I met up with the creator of the original SNES TC on YouTube and learned he was not only working on an unfinished Doom 2 conversion, But also various other fixes. I talked to him and got permission to use his resources and convert his DEHACKED scripting to DECORATE. While some may say trying to recreate the SNES experience is questionable, I'll be honest: I always found the small differences in the port interesting and I feel playing it at a higher frame rate would improve the experience and allow players to appreciate them as much as I did. It's genuinely an interesting way to replay through Doom. This mod currently is playable, but nowhere near finished. I still have to create Doom 2 assets and do some further balancing. I also don't think this will be near accurate to the SNES experience until Randy Linden actually releases his source code. Really, This mod is for all those Nintendo nuts (like myself :P) and people who grew up with the SNES version of Doom.
SB_Wayne

Re: (WIP) Super Doom! - A SNES Doom gameplay mod/conversion

Post by SB_Wayne »

Neat.
Spoiler:
Definitively looking forward to this.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

A bit of an update. The mod is nearing completion and is now pretty much completely playable aside from a few minor touches and some weapon differences. (Mainly having issue trying to replicate the chaingun's behavior in the SNES port)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

It's a Degraded version of, but for the better and the sake of SNES adaptation!

Definitely like Doom on SNES, but would be nice if the weapon bobbing animation is choppy like in the original.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Captain J wrote:It's a Degraded version of, but for the better and the sake of SNES adaptation!

Definitely like Doom on SNES, but would be nice if the weapon bobbing animation is choppy like in the original.
Is there any way I could replicate that? I'd love to add it but I'm not sure how. I know the PSX Doom TC (most recent build) is able to kind of replicate it, more noticeably with the chainsaw. But that uses a modified GZDoom.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Weapon.BobStyle might help with that. And aaybe touching ACS might do, but idk.
DoomedFox

Post by DoomedFox »

HYPED FOR THIS.

Snes doom is personally one of my fav doom ports, it was the closest to looking and sounding like the pc version at the time.

Neat to see D2 support!
GermanPeter

Post by GermanPeter »

So this is now completely dead, is it? I read that you lost the most up-to-date project files in a hard drive failure, but is there a chance you're going to release the unfinished one? I'd genuinely love to play this, even if it's not fully completed.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

GermanPeter wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:04 pm So this is now completely dead, is it? I read that you lost the most up-to-date project files in a hard drive failure, but is there a chance you're going to release the unfinished one? I'd genuinely love to play this, even if it's not fully completed.
Considering the last post was from 2020... I'm afraid so. If the OP wishes for this thread to remain open, they can send me a message. For now, I'll throw this into the Abandoned Projects section.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”