Bullet-Eye - v0.12.5b - 3/5/24 - Even More Improvements!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Weapon Family Do You Find Yourself Using Often?

Power
29%
Area
6%
Rapid
29%
Tech
24%
Support
No votes
Melee
12%

Total votes: 17

Some_Kinda_Lucky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.12 - 4/26/23 - This guy and his SLOW updates!

Post by Some_Kinda_Lucky »

Thank you for the quick and thorough responses! I'll admit that some of my negativity with the Overhaul Build was a bit knee jerky and after letting it sit in my brain for a bit I can see the positives in the new changes. I also understand that feature creep can be a killer for a project like this and realizing it and nipping it in the bud sooner rather than later is for the best to insure the mod's longevity. Regardless of what direction the mod goes in I'll definitely be there for the whole ride and enjoy every second of the journey. Can't wait to see what you cook up for it in the future.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Some_Kinda_Lucky wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:17 pm Thank you for the quick and thorough responses! I'll admit that some of my negativity with the Overhaul Build was a bit knee jerky and after letting it sit in my brain for a bit I can see the positives in the new changes. I also understand that feature creep can be a killer for a project like this and realizing it and nipping it in the bud sooner rather than later is for the best to insure the mod's longevity. Regardless of what direction the mod goes in I'll definitely be there for the whole ride and enjoy every second of the journey. Can't wait to see what you cook up for it in the future.
Don't worry, I felt the same way initially. I thought it was the end of the world when some things got the axe - but when I actually finally managed to test it out yesterday, I hardly noticed the removal of some things such as the vending machines. Other than the removal of Fusion equipment, which I still mourn, the other mechanics/features that were taken out didn't make too big of an impact on gameplay. Some things still need to be tuned a bit, but overall I think it will be better for the health of the mod.

There are some new changes that have been made as well, which are as follows:
-Owning multiple weapons of the same family will grant a small damage bonus.
-Scaling weapon damage depending on the weapon and enemy health. This will help some of the weaker weapons be a lot more helpful against stronger foes.
-Upcoming currency changes to bring them down to more respectable levels.
-Enemy rebalancing. Again, Dread Levels have been removed, but may return in an improved form. Otherwise, the skill levels will be modified for enemy difficulty purposes.
-Backend improvements that will make updating the mod faster and easier in the long run.

There is still quite a bit to do, but after the main work is done, I can go back to adding in new weapons/equipment!
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Here is a preview of the reworked Status Panel! It has all been consolidated into a single page, with info being displayed in tooltips. I apologize for the slight sound delay.

As you can see, weapons can also level up to 4. This will only grant a damage bonus rather than a unique effect, but that could easily change in the future!

Some help screens will also be removed since the info can be found on the Status Panel itself, such as element info.

The Status Panel rework was only made possible thanks to Ace's tremendous help!

Once again, if anyone wishes to test out the overhaul version, you can do so by clicking this link!
Linz

Post by Linz »

Hey Mor, just wanna say I would appreciate it if you say the names of what weapons you add to the mod when you do

I know you probably want people to find out for themselves but idk I'd like a little explanation on them personally

If you don't wanna that's fine tho
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Linz wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:42 pm I know you probably want people to find out for themselves but idk I'd like a little explanation on them personally
While I do want people to discover things for themselves, it's not a big deal if they want the info outright either. Perhaps next time I can add the weapon names in a spoiler tag just in case there are those who do want a surprise.

The weapons that were added for this recent update are named Glacial Lash and Frenzy Ravagers, both melee weapons.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

The overhaul is now live on the master branch! This means that the previous iteration of Bullet-Eye will no longer be available, except from the current live download (which will be separated into its own link later when a new update is pushed) and will no longer have certain content such as vending machines, equipment durability, weapon XP, and etc.

There are still a few things that may need to be adjusted, but the main meat of the overhaul has been completed and should be ready to receive regular updates such as new equipment, enemies, and weapons. We hope you enjoy the changes, and it may take some getting used to at first, but I promise you that you won't realize any major difference with the content that is missing! That is how little it added in the grand scheme of things.
Linz

Post by Linz »

You know now that I think about it, you have like a list of all the weapons implemented so far or...
Some_Kinda_Lucky

Hey Mor! Just got done playing around with the new master build and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the more streamlined experience, I thought I would continue to miss things like the vending machines and weapon XP but I ended up not really noticing their absence, the whole experience felt like the perfect blend of arcade run'&'gun/RPG action that Bullet-Eye is aiming for. Plus the new HUD and Status panel are incredible, less cluttered and much easier to navigate while still being a visual treat to look at. I have noticed a couple problems with the master build, one being that the Flash Guard will stay active even when the energy meter is empty, the other being that weapon capsules seem to only dispense certain weapons, like rapid capsules will only give out Repeaters or Spitfires, power capsules only give Scrap Launchers or Triple Wyverns etc, not sure if this is intentional or not but I thought it was worth pointing out regardless.
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Some_Kinda_Lucky wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:23 pm Hey Mor! Just got done playing around with the new master build and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the more streamlined experience, I thought I would continue to miss things like the vending machines and weapon XP but I ended up not really noticing their absence, the whole experience felt like the perfect blend of arcade run'&'gun/RPG action that Bullet-Eye is aiming for. Plus the new HUD and Status panel are incredible, less cluttered and much easier to navigate while still being a visual treat to look at. I have noticed a couple problems with the master build, one being that the Flash Guard will stay active even when the energy meter is empty, the other being that weapon capsules seem to only dispense certain weapons, like rapid capsules will only give out Repeaters or Spitfires, power capsules only give Scrap Launchers or Triple Wyverns etc, not sure if this is intentional or not but I thought it was worth pointing out regardless.
I'm glad you enjoy it so far! I'll have to look at the Flash Guard further because I have noticed with certain actions it does stay for longer. It may be due to some of the changes made to it recently where the deflect time actually adds up if projectiles are deflected fast enough.

As for the weapons, we are testing out a sort of "tier" system that allows only certain weapons to drop from capsules based on score. Though, this may be reverted due to weapons being found less often than before since they can only appear on high tier weapon spots now. A positive of this change though, is that it can make some weapons easier to level. However, I am sure there are other ways to achieve that such as the Weapon Enhancer system being a sort of wildcard like it was in older versions, allowing you to level the current weapon you are holding when picking it up.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Hi, Morladim! Just wanted to say amazing work on the overhaul so far and I'm excited to see where Bullet Eye continues to grow - I'm superbly pleased with the upgrade and weapon system at the moment - I think I haven't actually seen much mods try to work affixes unto equipment and I like mix-and-matching whatever shows up. :D

I do have a few concerns (and I'm not sure if they're necessarily bugs to report rather than features)

As of the master build from GitLab on this posting (and playing on Delta Touch), just a few things off the bat - I haven't played in a while and some of the new weapon names are still unfamiliar to me.

* While using the Monstrosity, it's possible to cast fear on your own spider bots.
* While using the Hyper Burster (Blaster? Rapid fire weapon with purple projectiles), the explosion proc can damage you (and pretty heavily at 20 points docked from the life bar from relatively far away)
* Not really important on this part is this one is more towards balancing - I feel at times that the item GP costs feel too steep ( and admittedly l, I wouldn't mind them being one-use/limited-uses and but no GP cost), mostly since I try to gather enough for upgrading rather than a one-off use.
* Is there a way also to show or flash the item's name as it is cycled through/elected in the inventory? Throwing it out and picking it up again works for the pickup message, but probably not something doable in the heat of combat. :o

I'll keep playing and report any oddities I find - I also have the following questions:

* When it comes to some pickups, what's the difference between picking up ammo versus energy? (i.e. a support ammo pickup versus a support energy pickup)
* I noticed there's Treasure Level in the status bar - how does this quanitity increase? (I'm currently playing on mostly episode sized WAD's, and I'm wondering if this is limiting the variety of items I find)

Thanks again! I haven't played Bullet Eye in a while so I'm admittedly not even sure what to compare between the master and old builds. :D
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:24 am Hi, Morladim! Just wanted to say amazing work on the overhaul so far and I'm excited to see where Bullet Eye continues to grow - I'm superbly pleased with the upgrade and weapon system at the moment - I think I haven't actually seen much mods try to work affixes unto equipment and I like mix-and-matching whatever shows up. :D

I do have a few concerns (and I'm not sure if they're necessarily bugs to report rather than features)

As of the master build from GitLab on this posting (and playing on Delta Touch), just a few things off the bat - I haven't played in a while and some of the new weapon names are still unfamiliar to me.

* While using the Monstrosity, it's possible to cast fear on your own spider bots.
* While using the Hyper Burster (Blaster? Rapid fire weapon with purple projectiles), the explosion proc can damage you (and pretty heavily at 20 points docked from the life bar from relatively far away)
* Not really important on this part is this one is more towards balancing - I feel at times that the item GP costs feel too steep ( and admittedly l, I wouldn't mind them being one-use/limited-uses and but no GP cost), mostly since I try to gather enough for upgrading rather than a one-off use.
* Is there a way also to show or flash the item's name as it is cycled through/elected in the inventory? Throwing it out and picking it up again works for the pickup message, but probably not something doable in the heat of combat. :o

I'll keep playing and report any oddities I find - I also have the following questions:

* When it comes to some pickups, what's the difference between picking up ammo versus energy? (i.e. a support ammo pickup versus a support energy pickup)
* I noticed there's Treasure Level in the status bar - how does this quanitity increase? (I'm currently playing on mostly episode sized WAD's, and I'm wondering if this is limiting the variety of items I find)

Thanks again! I haven't played Bullet Eye in a while so I'm admittedly not even sure what to compare between the master and old builds. :D
Thank you, but I have Ace to thank for most of the work done since he is far more experienced with ZScript coding than I am. I am getting there, though!

-The Metal Monstrosity fear can in fact affect the Plasma Spiders, but as I recall, they don't actually become feared and only have the debuff visual appear. I should be able to prevent that from showing up to avoid any confusion.
-The Hyper Burst explosion dealing damage to the player is an easy fix, and was due to the weapon using some damage types that were no longer utilized.
-Inventory item GP costs is something I was looking into, and I did have the idea to just remove them and make items single use, as I came across the situation of holding on to GP to upgrade equipment rather than using items multiple times as well.
-Currently you can bind a key to "Query Item" and that will show the item name and description of what they do, but it has to be pressed for each individual item. I'll see if there is a way to display the info outright.
-The difference between the ammo and energy pickups is just the amount they provide. The small orbs look like energy so I went for that name, instead of naming them "Tiny Rapid Ammo" as they are named internally, as it wouldn't look right. I am not sure if I will keep those, however, since I hear they aren't too useful considering how little ammo they provide, but they were made at a time when ammo acquisition was really high.
-Treasure Level can be obtained from rescuing survivors, opening weapon capsules, or each time the player kills a certain number of enemies, to name a few cases. However, it can "fluctuate" due to lowering when a rare item drops. This was done to control the amount of rare drops that appear, and was meant to be an internal stat only but I decided to just have it visible to the player.

Thank you for giving the mod another shot and I hope you've enjoyed it thus far!
Mor'Ladim

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.12.1 - 6/16/23 - This guy and his SLOW updates!

Post by Mor'Ladim »

I've uploaded an update to the pre-overhaul version which fixes a few bugs and backports some improvements from the overhaul branch. Unfortunately, it's on Dropbox so there is the risk of the download link going down due to overload, but I highly doubt that will happen. Below is a list of changes in that version!
v0.12.1 - 6/16/23 - PRE-OVERHAUL
-Lowered Flame Bloom Darts weapon sprite.
-Revamped Flame Bloom Darts L2 effect and slightly modified L3.
-Improved Hyper Burst L3 volatile orb interactions.
-Reduced Triple Wyvern spread and pressure building is faster.
-Increased Triple Wyvern magazine size to 8, up from 4. Full pressure now consumes 2 ammo.
-Metal Monstrosity jaws will no longer despawn when touching terrain.
-Reduced Metal Monstrosity L2 claw damage.
-Improved Storm Mine explosion visual effects and sounds.
-Increased swap speed for SUPPORT weapons further.
-Increased amount of B-E Energy acquired from a Perfect Flash Guard counter.
-Fixed Volley Shot Cylinder Upgrade equipment bonus not functioning while also possessing the Firing Override bonus.
-Fixed Dogfighter Missile weapon firing sound. This has been bugged for a very long time...
-Increased amount of kills needed to gain 1 Treasure Level.
-Fixed kicking weapon capsules sometimes selling the weapons.
-Changed ammo drop rates from enemies.
-Fixed missing fear and slow states on some enemies.
-Changed Monitaur missile attacks slightly. They will be much more threatening.
-Fixed equipment items taking all bonuses of a given type, even ones belonging to a different item.
-Fixed Ammo Eater items some times not spawning an item due to attempting to spawn incorrect actor.
The download can be found on the first post, labeled as "DOWNLOAD PRE-OVERHAUL VERSION" or you can download it here.

I think I covered everything. Do let me know if there are any other issues!
Linz

Post by Linz »

https://imgur.com/a/ZtKpLbc

Been having some weird crashes playing Bullet Eye that I have no clue why they happen, so hopefully you can figure it out based on the error messages + my addon list

Also Also, you wouldn't happen to have a list of every weapon in the mod for testing purposes?
Mor'Ladim

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Important Announcement: For anyone playing, keep in mind that the development version no longer exists. Any updates made to the mod are now pushed to the main branch, so it will always be the current release. I will do my best to keep players posted on major updates as usual. If you happen to download the mod and are met with an error on start up, that means I am currently making changes to the mod. Trying to download the mod again in about a minute or so should work, as I usually don't keep major errors like that up for too long, even when experimenting with changes!
Linz wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:33 am Been having some weird crashes playing Bullet Eye...

Also Also, you wouldn't happen to have a list of every weapon in the mod for testing purposes?
Sorry for the late response, not only was I working on an update, but sometimes I think that people don't really reply here, so I tend to forget to check. That issue should be fixed now. And the only list I have is more of an internal development doc, so you'll need to remove the spaces and asterisks in the weapons name, then follow them up with "weapon". So for example "CrashCometWeapon". There will possibly be a feature later where you can type a command that will create a list of all the weapons in the mod. I will give you a freebie and post a list this time, but I do in fact want players to discover things on their own.
Spoiler:
As stated above, the mod has been updated over time, with new changes being pushed out yesterday (October 1st). I will highlight those specific changes in blue in the changelog. The rest of the changes were made at other points in time such as August, but there were no notes on those changes until today.
Spoiler:
Some_Kinda_Lucky

Re: Bullet-Eye - v0.12.2 - 10/2/23 - I Heard You Like Equipment Items.

Oh man, I've been wanting to play more Bullet-Eye as of late and now you push a huge update for it! Life's been pretty busy as of late but I'm gonna take some time to download and try all the new stuff out so I can give some feedback, but just reading the patch notes has me excited for all the new additions/changes. Really excited to see what else you're cooking up for the future.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”