Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.97 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [Bardiche Video]

Post by eharper256 »

yum13241 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:56 amRegular OpenGL is a last resort. If you're on a potato, use OpenGLES. Graf himself says so. GLES works much better than GL on my system.
Vulkan, GLES, GL.
Oh, is that so?

If Graf says so then it's probably right. I always assumed that GLES, since its a cut-down version of GL for phones, would naturally perform worse, but I will admit I don't know much about the technicalities of rendering. I can build a PC just fine, just don't ask me to tell you the electronic minituae of how and why each part works as it does. :)
Irrevenant wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:09 amAhh nice. It's low-end, but I also built it myself some few years ago so not everything in it sucks, I just had to skip getting a graphics card and use one we already had. I have a Radeon HD 5450.

Luckily the HQ resize stuff was off.
Dynamic lights in general don't give me too many problems, it's mostly just Walp's and I guess I'd say the density of them. It was 100% the sparkles constantly spawning lights. I actually just went into Walp's GLDefs and commented out those specifically and it was a huge difference.

I get it. I've taken a look in a good number of mods and spot things like that.
Yep fair enough, if you can use SLADE then commenting out those lines also works fine. Heck, you can probably just delete GLDEFS and other than GZDoom throwing some errors everything will work fine (probably) as it's only the dynalights that will be affected.
yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by yum13241 »

Yep fair enough, if you can use SLADE then commenting out those lines also works fine
Or any text editor for that matter.
Heck, you can probably just delete GLDEFS and other than GZDoom throwing some errors everything will work fine (probably) as it's only the dynalights that will be affected.
Disabling dyn. lights is probably better.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Indeed it is, I was just saying it could work as a slapdash solution.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

What I've been working on for this bank holiday weekend; Korax getting abilities and a much bigger and detailed map. I also even voiced new lines for him myself (though no, I don't sound like Korax in real life, I'm just good with Audacity lol).

Still needs some tweaks to the level, probably. It made the video recording derp at a couple of points (you might notice, sadly) because I guess Korax now generates a lot of particles and stuff. Also, the final map needs more mana and stuff for balancing, probably.

If you have any thoughts on the design and how it could be improved, let me know. I'm not exactly a pro-mapper at all, but a jack of all trades, so thoughts on this are highly appreciated!
PresBarackbar

Post by PresBarackbar »

Woah this looks super cool! And what an auspicious date for an update video :)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

PresBarackbar wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:00 pm Woah this looks super cool! And what an auspicious date for an update video :)
Indeed, happy Walpurgisnacht for everyone here!

As much as I really wanted to get 0.98 for the special day this year, I've not quite been able to make it due to various sickness and work related shenanigans you may be aware of. Alas, perhaps I'll manage 1.0 for it next year. I still anticipate 0.98 to be out soon (TM), probably by the end of May, assuming nothing else crazy happens.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Questions for everyone:
As you may have seen in the video, Korax has some boss music during the fight. My thought was to do the same for all three of the Hexen deathkings, the Heresiarch, and the Wyvern as well. But of course, that's pretty much an instant +25Mb I'm adding to Walpurgis for unique music (even in OGG).

Is file-size of this magnitude actually a concern for people these days? And should there be only 1 boss music for all of the above or unique ones for each boss? Should there even be boss music? Do people even intend to play Hexen again just for revised bosses (lol) or are most people here using Walp with Doom?

It's easy for me to run off and go wupwupwup cool music but I figured I should ask if this is relevant before I spend hours looking for new tracks. :D
guydude

Post by guydude »

I'm replaying Hexen with Walpurgis. Err rather playing Hexen for the first time with Walpurgis. Loving it and I find Hexen's frustrating aspects to be overstated tho I don't know how much my lack of frustration can be attributed to your mod. This mod is extremely well done by the way. All the weapons and fire modes feel powerful and impactful tho I've only really played with the crusader and tinkered with the mage. The elite enemies are always a welcome addition in mods like this. Not to mention you have menus to adjust the game to your preference. It's a rock solid experience and makes me want more and bigger Hexen maps and hubs if anyone has any recommendations?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

guydude wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:13 amI'm replaying Hexen with Walpurgis. Err rather playing Hexen for the first time with Walpurgis. Loving it and I find Hexen's frustrating aspects to be overstated tho I don't know how much my lack of frustration can be attributed to your mod. This mod is extremely well done by the way. All the weapons and fire modes feel powerful and impactful tho I've only really played with the crusader and tinkered with the mage. The elite enemies are always a welcome addition in mods like this. Not to mention you have menus to adjust the game to your preference. It's a rock solid experience and makes me want more and bigger Hexen maps and hubs if anyone has any recommendations?
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Hexen gets its bad rep from Seven Portals, mostly. Which is actually not hard IMHO, as long as you're paying attention, but I think people just don't like switch puzzles that reach across maps all that much. Getting the secret level is a bit more frustrating, I will admit, but still tolerable. Now, Deathkings (the official add-on map-pack like Ultimate Doom) is a pain in the ass, though, full of 'gotcha!' traps.

The best Hexen Megawads are, roughly in order, in my opinion: Penumbra, 4 Weeks of Pain, Talparun, and the Scourge of Viscerus. Honorable mentions for Shades of Darkness, the Cyrgoth series, and the Village of Riverwood.

But don't forget you can play Doom and Heretic maps as well with Walpurgis, they are balanced appropriately for the mod, with elite monsters for all of their casts too!! :)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

You might have seen the earlier version of this last week; and I'm super glad it turned out as popular as it did. Since then, the boss fight has been given tonnes of polish!

There are now more distinct phases. In phase one, Korax is invincible until you destroy his shield and harasses you by flying about whilst you do so. Phase two lets reinforcements out of Dark Priests and allows him to revive Reivers; and he teleports around on platforms. The finale warps you into space (!) for the final duel.

Korax is now aware of which part of the stage you're on when it comes to triggering traps (so spikes and crushers and blasters are less indiscriminate and more in your general area) and also chooses teleport destinations in your vicinity when attacking you in Stage 2. Basically a lot more logical, which amps the challenge up quite a bit!

I probably still need to make Stage 3 more aggressive; but hey it looks cool!

Fun fact; this is actually the second recording, he wrecked me on the first one (lol).
pulux
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): windows 7
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by pulux »

A lot of thanks for this mod!!

God job!!
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

pulux wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:04 pmA lot of thanks for this mod!!

God job!!
Thanks for playing, glad you're enjoying it! :)
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Just in case you forgot about Geomancy that's coming soon in 0.98, I'm back to remind you of that, since the Tertiary Fire, the Quaking Monolith, is now ready for action! :)

This raises an Obelisk Monument made of earth and covered in Geomantic runes. It detects enemies nearby, and if it does, discharges power into the ground to create a massive earthquake! It's pretty super powerful against hordes of weaker enemies. Of course, it will have a fairly high mana cost and is static, and you can only have one at a time; so be sure to place them strategically.

There's also some refinements to the other modes in both animation and effect you might notice, and I've started doing the upgrades and mutations for Geomancy too.
mike3k
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Walpurgis 0.97 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [Full Geomancy Preview!]

Post by mike3k »

Really fun mod only pity that got just a few weapons -4, every character, even with alt fire it lacks some variety. Still work in progress so who know - v0.97
eharper256

Re: Walpurgis 0.97 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [Full Geomancy Preview!]

Post by eharper256 »

mike3k wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:09 am Really fun mod only pity that got just a few weapons -4, every character, even with alt fire it lacks some variety. Still work in progress so who know - v0.97
There's 5 weapons per character right now in 0.97. Each has 3 fire modes (Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary on your Reload button), and most fire modes have 2 potential upgrades (theres over 70 upgrades). I'd say that's quite a lot of variety? :shock:

Well, more is coming... 0.98 will add in two of in-slot 3 extra options and all their upgrades (Geomancy for the Magister, and the Bardiche Alastor for the Myrmidon), with the the further two to follow in 0.99. But I'd say there is already a heck of a lot more than basic Hexen, especially with all the elite monsters, dimensional instability mode, compatability with Doom, Heretic and Hexen. :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”