Good old switchable graphics issue

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
invictius

Good old switchable graphics issue

Post by invictius »

Radeon 5650m. Unlike some benchmarks, gz does correctly identify the gpu. But it seems to completely ignore my power settings - both setting gz to high performance manually, and making my power settings only use the radeon. How do I know this? Identical performance regardless of which switchable graphics options I select. This has plagued me across multiple systems, and I follow the options to specify the non-intel gpu to a T. I actually bought a second hand gaming laptop specifically because it only has a gtx 1070 in it with none of this intel stuff. I've never seen a laptop with exclusive amd/nvidia graphics, only switchable from this intel rubbish.

The other reason I know it doesn't use the amd is because passmark fails the direct3d 11 test. Guess what? The intel gpu is the one without 11 support.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Good old switchable graphics issue

Post by Rachael »

With one of the pre-Coronia-Virus versions of Windows 10, Microsoft decided to "take over" the switchable graphics control in the most ham-fisted and worst possible way. With that particular Windows 10 update, GZDoom completely lost control over how its switchable graphics control worked. I didn't bother removing the option because at the time, Windows 8 was still supported which still allowed the switching, but I suppose now is as good a time as any to remove it, it's largely pointless now. It doesn't even work with Vulkan as far as I know, anyhow. (Luckily GZDoom has its own controls for the Vulkan device, so that doesn't matter anyway)

Also: GZDoom's switchable graphics control only ever worked with NVidia drivers. I never was able to get my hands on an AMD switchable graphics notebook before Windows 10 took that function over, and by the time they did it didn't matter, anyhow.
Last edited by Rachael on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Good old switchable graphics issue

Post by Rachael »

Option is now removed:
https://github.com/ZDoom/gzdoom/commit/ ... 307a0d5c0e (with one followup to remove a line erroneously forgotten)
https://github.com/ZDoom/Raze/commit/fc ... 373e8c73bf

Return to “Technical Issues”