[Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0e

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
antpostal

Re: [Finished] The Russian Overkill - 3.0e

Post by antpostal »

been getting a V.M abort that reads domination or dominion pointer(cant remember which). while using gzdoom 4.6.0. while using lexicon wad. anyone happen to know whats causing this?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

antpostal wrote:been getting a V.M abort that reads domination or dominion pointer(cant remember which). while using gzdoom 4.6.0. while using lexicon wad. anyone happen to know whats causing this?
It would be helpful if you could provide a screenshot of the error you're getting.
vex-cydestroyer

Post by vex-cydestroyer »

hello i need some help i seem to not download the full mod it self its just blank folder can someone give me an advice? thanks.
Rodman909

Post by Rodman909 »

So I was playing this mod with the Hell on Earth Starter Pack. I got to MAP10, but when I pressed the switch that summons the Belphegor bosses, they didn't show up. Maybe they saw what I was doing to their comrades and decided, "nah, fuck that shit". :lol:
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

• If you throw a shitstorm at close range to an enemy it will be destroyed.
• The tank will sometimes just stop attacking.
• The magnet projectile on the instafun is very peculiar about only attacking targets on it's own level. It won't attack enemies above or below it. NOVERTICALMELEERANGE fixed it, yay.
• Comrade grenade smoke isn't affected with the choker.
• Antonov, Beef supreme, and the Hotrod spike have unnecessary upward thrust causing them to go over their intended target.
• "CannonMuzzle" on Steamroller causes a bright flash with each shot, hurting your eyes.
• Comrade should have it's bouncing grenades on altfire and time stop moved to reload or zoom. Mutilator could use a similar treatment. Flamethrower on altfire, airsoft on zoom, and charge on reload.
• I noticed the flamethrower on the mutilator is missing it's GLdefs. I remember when you turned some of those off for performance reasons but I just tested it and it made no difference to my framerate on an already heavy map. It's safe to turn that one back on.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

My apologies for the bump, but I figure I should do this mod the service of pointing out a fatal error: viewtopic.php?p=1217638#p1217638
Graf Zahl wrote:The barrel in RO calls A_Explode right in its death state without any delay - this means that one barrels goes boom, then inflicts radius damage to the next one, and so on for the entire group. This all happens recursively right in the first barrel's death state which eventually makes the engine crash. If there was a one-frame delay, it'd work as expected.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

wildweasel wrote:My apologies for the bump, but I figure I should do this mod the service of pointing out a fatal error: viewtopic.php?p=1217638#p1217638
I'd say it's not an issue that's really caused by the mod, given its been around for years and didn't really change barrels much ever since, but with people being weird with the barrels in their maps. I never had myself crashed this way until someone thought its an excellent idea to put absolute fucking mountains of barrels in a single spot for death exits. I'll add a frame and call it a day.
Rowsol wrote:• If you throw a shitstorm at close range to an enemy it will be destroyed.
• The tank will sometimes just stop attacking.
• The magnet projectile on the instafun is very peculiar about only attacking targets on it's own level. It won't attack enemies above or below it. NOVERTICALMELEERANGE fixed it, yay.
• Comrade grenade smoke isn't affected with the choker.
• Antonov, Beef supreme, and the Hotrod spike have unnecessary upward thrust causing them to go over their intended target.
• "CannonMuzzle" on Steamroller causes a bright flash with each shot, hurting your eyes.
• Comrade should have it's bouncing grenades on altfire and time stop moved to reload or zoom. Mutilator could use a similar treatment. Flamethrower on altfire, airsoft on zoom, and charge on reload.
• I noticed the flamethrower on the mutilator is missing it's GLdefs. I remember when you turned some of those off for performance reasons but I just tested it and it made no difference to my framerate on an already heavy map. It's safe to turn that one back on.
- Hmm, I'd rather say it isn't the close range being the problem, but another actor standing on top of it somehow making it collide with the enemy and prematurely getting destroyed. I'll see about some fix for that.
- Not sure what happens there, but I'll see if I can make it periodically just forget about its current target and look for something else, as I have a feeling it might be just getting fixated on an enemy out of range? (I pray that fix won't cause even more issues, but I think it shouldn't. It can re-acquire targets almost immediately anyway.)
- Weird. It used to work just fine without such shenanigans. Ah well, thanks much for an ez fix, at least!
- Seems to work as intended, unless you mean the trails? Then that's intentional. Same goes for tank shells and casings, after all, as smoke choker is mostly for standard explosions' smokes.
- Intentional. Helps to aim with for me, especially upon large distances, cause lack of that thrust makes it harder to aim for me instead. Especially when you get autoaim involved.
- I think you mean the gldefs on the fire trail on it, cuz I don't remember adding any cannon muzzle there. I'll add some on projectile and add separate, GLDEF-less flames there. That will hopefully make it less painful for eyes.
- Charge and time stop on altfire is more intuitive imo. I could probably swap up one of the modes as zoom fire mode on it. I'll see if I can arse myself to do that.
- Done!
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I'm back to playing this some more and the tank not shooting is still an issue. It seems to get stuck after teleporting, presumably not clearing it's target.

It also killed me once. Took me a minute to realize what had happened. I found the obituary in the code.

+TELESTOMP doesn't work with A_Warp it would seem.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Well, hello! It's me again. For those unacquainted with the forum's latest drama - I've said my piece. It kinda ended well. The whole situation however has left me disappointed enough that I don't think I wanna stay in this place. Felt it'd be only appropriate to post this in the mod's thread where this journey had started for me.

Yeah, I'll admit - my statement there was a bit rushed and poorly worded. But back in the day, that should have ended up first with a warning. The moment I saw Marty closing the comments section in his video and Kins saying that's a good thing, a feeling in me clicked something fierce. From my own standpoint, that kind of shutting down conversation because there was some off-topic or off-color commentary on the sidelines was the death of this place. I know how it feels keeping quiet out of fear of conflict. That was a clear-cut moment for me saying "I have to say something otherwise, or I'll fall back into the same cycle of fearing pressure and/or repercussions again." I couldn't stand it.

First and foremost, I am part of this community for the modding. I have kept my personal views to myself, I have seen where sharing “hot takes” can get you. And even then, despite me keeping myself out of the drama for so many years, once I finally broke and said my piece, it was interpreted in the worst possible light. I treat people as individuals and have always held courtesy and politeness in high standard, bar some swearing here and there. If this ain't 4chan, and I know it isn't - what the hell happened to bring us to the point where me stating things bluntly, if emotionally, leads to an immediate ban? No warning, no attempt at understanding anything.

And then everyone wonders why they are lowkey afraid of speaking their minds - because some folks have to immediately assume you mean the worst, and that it's about them. That's the narcissism part I was talking about in my original post. Nuance is lost, the underlying details are thrown out, and it gets distilled into this “you are either with us or against us” mentality we see so often on the internet today, the whole intent be damned, especially if it hurt someone's feelings, which wasn't the point of it.

If saying something that was intended for general audience had hurt them, maybe that means that they could in fact relate to it, so they should reflect upon it first, rather than trying to force the speaker to change their tone about something that had personally hit them. Why do we have to be so careful about our own words? If you need clarification, you ask how did they come to this conclusion, not ban them. If someone remains uncivil, then you ignore them, reach for moderation, or my personal favorite - reach into your trusty insult drawer for some good old slapfight.

After all these years, I honestly think that's the healthiest thing to do, as silly as it sounds. The moment you stifle the piled up grievances, it will keep building up the pressure until it all blows up way beyond any control and reason to handle. After all that was said and done, people could agree to start being constructive about things. Of course the slapfights tend to overstay their welcome, but the saner heads can pick things apart afterwards, and look into solving the conflict until the next inevitable blowup.

The administration here tried too damn hard to keep things in check. It's honestly not something you can fix in humanity. And I don't think we should. As it is with many emotions we consider negative, such as guilt, anger, or shame - the world is constructed the way it is for a reason. Those feelings are also necessary for our own improvement and in keeping ourselves in check. It only becomes a problem once you start to hold onto those grudges.

Where did the old adage of "don't feed the trolls", ancient as the internet itself, go? I sure as Hell won't mince my words, just because someone is being rude and I see no amount of pleasantries will work. And I think that's fine. We all are emotional about topics we are passionate about. Emotion is a part of a human being. Trying to be overtly polite at all times doesn't always get the point across. Watching your mouth too much is as unhealthy as evading being constructive. You start to grow paranoid and create an actual bias against the people who in your mind are causing you grief, when in reality, they have absolutely nothing against you.

We are as responsible for our reactions as others are for their own actions. Why do we take the offense so personally, or even in someone's name? Why can you discuss some big issues with someone in person just fine, but the moment it involves a public space, you would sweat bullets? Why talking to people at large feels like walking through the minefield? Aren't we mature enough to agree to disagree and move on with our lives, rather than feeling like we just started a seven years' war?

I have seen my fair share of behavior where someone tried to act like a victim of another circumstance - depression, bad people around them, bullying, their social belonging - and then beat me over the head with it, using it to shield themselves from criticism or responsibility for their decisions. I think people should be allowed to speak their mind in good faith without having to worry about getting immediately shut down or ostracized, even if worded poorly or a bit hurtful on the surface. I worked myself almost into self-obliteration before by trying to follow implied, convoluted rules of engagement, walking on eggshells to avoid saying anything slightly critical or confrontational. And this time, I simply had enough.

It is revolting that any group would protect “its own” over all else, when many other folks would not be given the benefit of the doubt. The fact that it was a friend of the moderation, and that this mess was planned to be swept under the rug - that was the last straw for me. I understand, presume the innocence of the accused and protect them, given how heavy of an accusation it was. But from the folks who told me so many weird things happening in the community, even if I was outside of it - the happenings on Discord, the talks behind closed doors... I observed it. It painted a very clear picture of what kind of situation this whole place was in. The forum has become a desert, with everyone branching out to their own separate platforms and spaces. All the discussion was moved to Discord, where people were even more afraid to speak their mind, given the nature of chat leaves things even more open to tempers and misinterpretation, and that it was even easier to sweep anything under the rug.

One more thing from me in this regard - I'd be careful about the whole idea of being an inclusive space. Sex pests love such places, cause they know they can sneak into them, and that's why Term got harassed and a pedophile got here in the first place. Why do you think that kind of person will not try to pull off their usual, if you give them a friendly safe space to work themselves in? As much as it ails me to say it, but wherever children are involved, there will be those kinds of people. And given how old Doom is, some kids who only now discover the wonder of a game where you explode demons to high heavens, may not know what they might get themselves into. They are hanging around some folks who grew up with it, having different ideas about spending their time around it. I very, very much incline on keeping that in mind. Observe and react.

All in all, I don't regret nor wanna change anything in what I've said. Too many times I've seen somebody get judged, juried, and executed for stating what they felt, and then got forced to backpedal on it. I will clarify, but I will “not” take things back. The internet never forgets anyway, and that history is there for all to say, so I would rather keep my dignity than half-assedly take it all back. Some folks got what they wanted out of my statement, just to prove I'm on some kind of side, never clicking in their head that I'm on the side of common sense. I've been under a rock. And I felt happy there. And I think I'm gonna go back there and just do my own thing as usual.

I'll state where I'll be going down the line, for anyone who's interested. I honestly don't think anything will change here. At least, not anytime soon. The same people who made it this bad still have leverage over the community, and let's be real - the administration isn't only to blame for this culture. This whole self-policing for petty reasons is frightening. Can't help but draw the parallel to what I had read about the Polish People's Republic, and the stories from my own parents and grandparents about it, given I was lucky enough to not experience it, being born at the end of that era.

To give it a little bit of context - it was a real dystopia. The people in charge during that time made everyone paranoid to speak to each other, cause it was encouraged to report anybody who displayed any discontent with the leadership. Any sort of movements were quelled with instruments of societal pressure (everything was controlled by the government - food and goods distribution, your workplace was mandated by the party, phone communications were wiretapped the moment they had any suspicion about your dissent, etc.), and if all else failed, they would resolve to violent repressions and terror (this was at the peak of discontent with the situation, given there were many protests before, and this was going on since World War 2 had ended until 1989, meaning it lasted for almost fifty years!).

You couldn't get away from it, as wherever you went, the big brother was watching. You couldn't trust your own neighbors or people you would consider friends. This was so common it's frightening. And no matter which side of things you were on, it would eventually end up with trouble for those involved. Even the confidant themselves, once they would run out of their usefulness or express any sort of dissent, the very same tools of oppression they used for their own gain may very well be used against them.

I've stayed silent for so long about things irking me. I got my word out and did something good, in the end. I feel happier. I'm moving on. I'm not discussing this with anyone, cause I know it's gonna be a futile endeavor. If somebody wants to take issue with that, that's on them and their consciousness to interpret it the way they see fit. Otherwise, once I feel I'm back in the swing of things and my plan solidifies, I'm gonna go back to my usual, on a healthy pace - doing my best to entertain people with my shenanigans, as I love to see them laugh. I'm a court jester, and as much as the jester was also the voice of reason in the old kingdoms, his primary job is to entertain the masses by being a fool. If the price of happiness is to remain ignorant in the face of cruel reality (see: Stańczyk), then call me a fool, cause I dare to be stupid.

PS: Pootis is forever.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Understandable. Best wishes to you and also a formal thank you for the work you've done, mostly Guncaster for being top of the class in polish and cohesiveness, as well as supporting all the commercial IWADs with attention to detail. Russian Overkill I play less but now and again it's perfect for what it does. Trailblazer is one I haven't gotten to much and it's, honestly inexcusable I'd probably enjoy it as much as Guncaster. Anyway that's all I wanted to say.
Vyticoz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Vyticoz »

Well said, man. I wish you all the best of luck in finding a new place to call home. When you get settled in, drop a link so those of us who follow your work can stay up to date.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Honestly mate, thank you for having the heart to pipe up and say what I've honestly felt for a few good years now. Not much use in revealing a perspective that the lead party hates, you'll never hear the end of it.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Well, wish you the best in your future endeavors. Sorry it had to end this way and I really do want to try and make things better.

Locking and moving thread to avoid any continuing off-topic debate, as it sounds like this project won't be updated here anymore. If you decide to come back in the future and need it unlocked let me know.

8-)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”