Ashes Afterglow TC - closing the vault

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
AmissaAnima
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Ashes Afterglow TC - quick update page 111

Post by AmissaAnima »

McMatthew7898 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:29 pm
The jackhammer is generally better, but it has limited ammo and you don’t start with it. The crowbar does have some small advantages, you can use the lamp with it, it makes little noise, and the range might be a little longer.
While the Jackhammer deals more damage than the actual Crowbar it's not the best when it comes to moveability as in order to deal the most damage you're required to stand in place or move back slowly, Something that will get you easily killed on higher difficulties.
The only time i find myself using the Jackhammer is too stunlock the Ghosts as i've found that using that against them prevents them from doing their attack animation (most of the time any way as i've encountered cases in where they could still attack me it could've been my fault but i can't really remember)

The Crowbar is honestly the better option for dealing with common Melee mutants as all you gotta do is bonk them on the head with the heavy attack and step back and them bonk them on the head again and repeat until their killed. Honestly works wonders in the arena you're locked in a later map, Although it can take long to get rid of them all. In rare cases i try to bonk Pithounds with the Crowbar as that usually kills them in one hit.
Deon

Post by Deon »

One improvement I could ask about, only if you have time, since it's not a lot of work, is to add "tags" to all pickups. I am often playing with targeting mods, sometimes with Use to Pickup, and showing proper names of items instead of class names adds to the enjoyment.

I've fixed it for myself but wanted to pass this recommendation in case you find time for it.

And once again, I return to these mods, even though I've played them through many times. They are just THAT good.
Canjul
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Canjul »

So I already asked this a few pages back, but I'm going to try once more in the hopes that somebody can satisfy my curiosity; when you get your bike back, if you stick around and help the guards kill the monsters instead of just tearing ass out of there, one of them drops a necklace/locket.

Does anybody know what it's for? Is it just a relic from some quest that was cut out? I tried giving it to the guards, but no luck. Just carried it around for the rest of the game!
AmissaAnima
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by AmissaAnima »

Canjul wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:21 am So I already asked this a few pages back, but I'm going to try once more in the hopes that somebody can satisfy my curiosity; when you get your bike back, if you stick around and help the guards kill the monsters instead of just tearing ass out of there, one of them drops a necklace/locket.

Does anybody know what it's for? Is it just a relic from some quest that was cut out? I tried giving it to the guards, but no luck. Just carried it around for the rest of the game!
Aight i'll satisfy your curiousity. The necklace you're talking about only drops if and only if Porcelain dies. You're supposed to turn it in to the Bartender if she dies during her quest. It has no use if you obtain it during the invasion of the ghosts.
Grey Rook

Post by Grey Rook »

I recently started playing Ashes again because a Youtuber I follow made a video on it, and I encountered a pair of truly bizarre bugs. (I'm on 1.06, by the way) The first occurred in the Pipeworks, where I was going to clear the tunnels of mutants. When I was done and was heading back to Prosperity, the elevator went down instead of up, becoming unusable since it would no longer bring me to the exit.

The second was while I was playing the minigame attached to the collectable in the nuclear plant. The game... glitched, somehow, and started displaying Scav's sprite instead of the Kurt Russel-looking dude with a cybereye. The game was still going, but the attacks didn't work, making the minigame unwinnable. Reloading a save before they happened appears to have resolved both of these issues, but I felt that I should bring them up regardless.

Also, very impressive work, Vostyok. It must have taken a lot of work to get that minigame functional, to say nothing of the rest of the game.
Plasmazippo
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Plasmazippo »

So I've noticed that in Afterglow, the cards and keys don't make the pickup sounds they used to in 2063, despite still having the corresponding sound effects and the SNDINFO definitions.

For Vostyok and the team (and anyone else that wants to fix this on their backend), here's my DECORATE fix based on 2063's code. The tags are my own, to make the pickups look nicer when using "pick items up manually" mods that show the item title. Just copy this, open the main DECORATE.txt file in the zip, find AshesBlueCard and paste over the entries up until AshesGoldKey. SLADE makes this dead easy.
Spoiler: DECORATE code
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Ashes Afterglow TC - news update pg117

Post by Vostyok »

Hello! I have returned!

First a few quick replies, apologies if I missed anyone. It's been a while since I updated this thread.

@June Gloom: those end screens look awesome! Great job! I would highly recommend anyone add them for that extra level of TC goodness.

@Vovando: thank you for the bug report. Am aware of several typos in particular. I'm planning on pushing out a spit&polish update at some point that will fix these issues, as well as add some missing features and quality of life improvements. Most of these will be back-ported from some of the stuff I've been working on recently.

@Plasma_zippo: thank you for the script idea. I will be honest, I hasn't even noticed this issue. But then I've been using Freedoom as a base for a while, so didn't notice the stock sounds were unchanged. Added to list

@AmissaAnima: your earlier question related to fan mods: there is a planned expansion pack for Afterglow coming. There are also a few goodies that a few of the testers I've been talking to have put together. Please see below for main details, but other things to look forward to: Ron Perlman ending narration, voxel props and VR support, and a few new animations.

SO....

For those not aware I have been away for some time, and around Christmas was involved in a bike accident that involved ice, my face, and high velocity.

Sadly, I survived.

That can only mean one thing - that my soul cannot rest until I have finished Ashes. And so, on to business.

We'll be updating this thread with some news over the next few months. I've been mostly involved with a new project involving Hedon, so my time is going to mostly be focussed on that. But we do have an expansion pack for Afterglow that is doing pretty well. Hopefully expect that soon; expect new weapons, new characters, a new story involving some of the darkest secrets of the pre-apocalypse, as well as some cool new features designed to make it more engaging and interesting than what you've seen before.

Edit: as an added extra, check out this little video that two of our voice actors put together. Credits to Blue Vapor Concord and SunnyBoi. It's currently not planned for inclusion in the game, but I am hoping for a lot more voiced work moving forward, just to make dialogue a lot more interesting.

We'll be posting some more news shortly. Thank you for staying tuned.
Plasmazippo

Re: Ashes Afterglow TC - News Update pg117

Post by Plasmazippo »

Damn man, sorry to hear you got into a biff. Hope you're better now.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

:3 nice
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I'm terribly sorry about having a serious bike accident. I admire your enthusiasm on finishing such a great project, but please don't work too hard! Have some recovery when needed. Always can wait!!
Spoiler: And about the full voice vid you uploaded...
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

I knew it, the Sexy Goblin DLC is real!
june gloom
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by june gloom »

Sucks to hear about your bike accident! That can't have been fun, but I'm glad you're okay-ish and still with us!

If you want to include my ENDOOM screens in the mod feel free, by the way!
Memich
Operating System Version (Optional): Win 10

Post by Memich »

With Vostyok's blessing, i announce Ashes: Voxelized aka Ashes VR Edition.

The goal of the project is to make addon that will give the opportunity for VR-headset owners to play Ashes: Afterglow or Ashes Weapons+any wad without "Nipple Aiming". I'm making voxel models of all weapon, their upgrades and props.

Download: https://mega.nz/file/Vm40EYrK#v_wW-NyMH ... JniAuR-yto

Current state of the project:

Version 0.0.1.5a - "cleaned" some models.

Crowbar 1: 0% done.
Crowbar 2(?): 0% done.

Revolver 1: All base animations are done and adjusted, except for "lantern in hand".
Revolver 2: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Revolver 3: All models are finished, 0% animations done.

Glock 1: 75% animations are done and adjusted.
Glock 2: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Glock 3: All models are finished, 0% animations done.

Ingram 1: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Ingram 2: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Ingram 3: All models are finished, 0% animations done.

AR15 1: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
AR15 2: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
AR15 3: All models are finished, 0% animations done.

Shotgun 1: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Shotgun 2: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Shotgun 3: All models are finished, 0% animations done.

Sawedoff 1: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Sawedoff 2: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Sawedoff 3: All models are finished, 0% animations done.

Master Blaster 1: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Master Blaster 2: All models are finished, 0% animations done.
Master Blaster 3: All models are finished, 0% animations done.

Junker Musket 1: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
Junker Musket 2: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
Junker Musket 3: 0% models done, 0% animations done.

Secret Gun 1: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
Secret Gun 2: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
Secret Gun 3: 0% models done, 0% animations done.

Super Secret Gun 1: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
Super Secret Gun 2: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
Super Secret Gun 3: 0% models done, 0% animations done.

P.I.G 1: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
P.I.G 2: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
P.I.G 3: 0% models done, 0% animations done.
Last edited by Memich on Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memich
Operating System Version (Optional): Win 10

Post by Memich »

Ashes Voxelized will be available in 2 core versions:

Hi-Def Version: Larger weight (not 1.5 GB) of the addon but all weapons will have proper animations, including reload and "with lantern".

Low-Def Version: Lesser weight with simple weapon animations ala "2-4-6 frames" or similar to "Weapons for VR" mod, without (mostly) any reload and extra quirks.

Release date: TBD.
jwrich82

Post by jwrich82 »

For those not aware I have been away for some time, and around Christmas was involved in a bike accident that involved ice, my face, and high velocity.

Sadly, I survived.
As a fellow biker... I chuckled a bit. Glad you did survive.

I am planning on getting a better home with a audio setup for my computer soon. I currently live in a NOT vocal work friendly atmosphere, walls are thin, an old woman who has TV on all the time AND my expensive, long cared for mic got busted in a hasty move. Maybe another project down the road, or maybe that expansion you were talking about or another if you are inclined to keep the universe going. ;)

By the way, I finally sat down and played it for more than 15 minute testing. I love this game. Mod on top of Doom or FreeDoom. Great work!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”