GZDoom 4.10.0 Screen Melt Wipe slow down.

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
AleksanderDrako
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

GZDoom 4.10.0 Screen Melt Wipe slow down.

Post by AleksanderDrako »

Salutation!
After updating Gzdoom to 4.10.0 whenever Melt Screen Wipe occurs, game feels to slow down a lot (or at least the effect alone) for duration of this effect.
Is it a somehow well know issue that I failed to find?
Thank you for any suggestions ♥
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom 4.10.0 Screen Melt Wipe slow down.

Post by Rachael »

This is not a bug, it is unfortunately a weakness with older hardware with poor pixel fill rates - wipes are currently done with a GPU shader, which works actually really well with modern systems, but older ones not so much.

Best thing to do is use an alternative wipe style or no wipe at all. You can also try the OpenGL ES backend to see if it's quicker.
AleksanderDrako

I was experiencing graphical issues when using OpenGL ES and so recently I went back to OpenGL.

As a result of your suggestion I tried Vulkan. It seems to work just fine there. I don't remember how it is working overall but for sure Melt Wipe worked fluently.

Thank you Ms Rachael, have a great day ^-^
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What kind of graphics card do you have?
AleksanderDrako

Graf Zahl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:33 am What kind of graphics card do you have?
It is "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti"
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That shouldn't have any performance or stability issues at all.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Indeed. That is new enough that wipes should be super smooth, unless you're running in 4k resolution or something else like that.
AleksanderDrako

I'm sorry, but I'm rather confused right now. My issue stopped being an issue after I swapped to Vulkan. Now after reading recent posts I swapped back to OpenGL and it seems to also play normally now.
I don't understand why, the only thing I did is clean up the in root and was tweaking with option that were just scrolling through the alternatives and returning to previous options.

I'm so sorry, but I can't explain what happened. I feel as if I wasted your both time, but still thankful since the suggestion Rachael did aligned itself with it working properly now
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's no problem, thank you for letting us know. No worries about the ongoing discussion - we actually are trying to figure out what the problem is. GZDoom should be super smooth on anything newer than a GTX 860 at regular 1080p resolution - both with Vulkan and full OpenGL - and we're a bit puzzled why it's not.
AleksanderDrako

It seems like OpenGL is performing overall worse then Vulkan now. It seems to struggle for me on bigger maps and especially with dynamic lights. In my experience whenever it struggles - game no longer plays fluent.
By fluent I mean like where short chugs happening less then every half a second. At least it is consistent in that.
Mentioned situations were happening on vanilla "Thy flesh consumed" with smooth weapons addon and to be honest a cut light (without enemies) Cheello doom voxels.
AleksanderDrako

After using my brain for a bit longer I realised my strange description of game being influent could be simply called drops of frame-rate

Return to “Technical Issues”