Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Scavver's Paradise V2.1.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Evalya wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:06 pm How do I unload my gun?
You have to go to the Controls menu and bind a key for Scrap Weapon On Pickup. Drop a gun, press that button, press Use on the gun to grab a magazine from the dropped weapon.
Evalya
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Evalya »

thank you!
Evalya

Post by Evalya »

do you plan on adding different ui styles? im not a big fan of the normal one, even a version of the normal hud without the background would be very appreciated
Thecrik

Post by Thecrik »

Evalya wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:47 pm do you plan on adding different ui styles? im not a big fan of the normal one, even a version of the normal hud without the background would be very appreciated
You're very much in luck because I just picked up playing this mod again and just finished a graphics replacer for the hud to give it a clear background.
Attachments
sparadise_clearhud.pk3
(25.47 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Evalya

Post by Evalya »

Wow! Thanks!
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Evalya wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:47 pm do you plan on adding different ui styles? im not a big fan of the normal one, even a version of the normal hud without the background would be very appreciated
I'm probably gonna keep the UI much the same in regards to its aesthetic (I'm no graphics designer, making the current HUD was an annoying, frustrating bitch and a half on my part), but I do plan on having a crack at the SBARINFO to remove the hard locked HUD scaling since that's the source of it being so large on the screen. That's gonna take a significant amount of effort since in doing so I'd have to visit every single HUD element and shift its screen positioning, but the end result will be a HUD that won't take up nearly as much screen real estate.

I had, however, been thinking of making the HUD itself a separate file to be ran alongside the main mod file, which would make it easier for players to make and run their own custom HUDs if desired.
Evalya

Post by Evalya »

alright!
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Gonna try to scale my ambitions back for the update so I can get a release in soon. I've still got a good few things planned for the mod that I'm delegating to a later update (additional bolt pull animations for the rest of the applicable weapons, hellish weaponry, and the UI rewriting being the big ones for that) so I can focus on a few new consumables, continuing to playtest and balance the new weight system, fine tune the 4 new armors that have been added, and work hard on combining the two shotgun calibers into one single caliber (with the addition of 2 more types of alternative shotgun shells. Shotguns are fun, but in their current state once you get a good supply of ammo for automatic rifles shotguns become low tier weaponry) and a means of intelligently swapping between the shell types.

I was going to have an update video posted, but the new editing software a friend recommended for me keeps hard crashing Windows during rendering, jumping the temps up to above 70 Celsius before my OS completely gives up. Sumbitch intentionally doesn't use GPU acceleration on windows! Gonna be searching and snooping for a different free alternative. I'll give a TL;DR on the major changes and additions below, it's a long list but the full changelog is MUCH longer. Otherwise, no ETA for a proper update just yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* As mentioned before, weight system is revamped. More you carry, slower you move. Weapons, armor, and inventory items add weight. 45 kilos max without a backpack, and 4 different backpacks gradually increase your carrying capacity up to a maximum of 120 kilos.
* .22 WMR ammo is gone. All .22 weapons aside from .22 Pistol have been removed. .22 Pistol rechambered into a 4.6mm Auto Pistol.
* 5.45x39mm ammo is removed. All 5.45mm rifles have been rechambered for 5.56x45mm box magazines. 5.56mm weapons have ammo capacities of 36+1.
* 9mm SMG ammo has been replaced with a 42 round 7.76x28mm caseless ammunition. The old helical drum magazine limited what weapons could take that ammo, so replacing it with a traditional box magazine means I can add more guns in this caliber.
* 9mm Stealth Pistol replaces the old .22 WMR stealth pistol.
* New 7.76mm Police SMG replaces the old one.
* New 7.76mm Machine Pistol, with as high a rate of fire as the engine will allow and an overheat mechanic.
* New 10 gauge compact shotgun. A stopgap between the 2 round coach gun and the 8+1 round combat shotgun. My personal favorite.
* New 4.6mm PDW. Higher rate of fire and accuracy than the 4.6mm SMG, but dropping the built in shotgun to decrease weight considerably.
* New 5.56mm Surplus Rifle, to please the fans of the old Doom novels.
* New 20mm Double Barreled Cannon. A lighter weight option for folks who want to carry 20mm ammo but don't want a super heavy cannon.
* 9mm Police SMG was rechambered into an inaccurate 10mm compact SMG.
* 9mm rifle and 5.56mm bolt rifles now use a new 6.5x48mm 16 round box magazine. 9mm rifle was basically useless and I didn't like the civilian grade sniper rifle having a 24 round magazine (would have been 36 round with the new boost to 5.56mm ammo capacity).
* 5.7mm Chaingun now requires Energy Cells for operation. One cell lasts several magazines, but using the faster alt fire will drain the battery like crazy.
* Radiation naturally decreases over time, but if you don't wanna wait rad pills will greatly increase the rate at which radiation decreases.
* Spare armors can be carried in your inventory. Extra weight, but having a spare never hurts if you can afford to.
* 4 new armor types, including a physically protective, if flame attracting, makeshift armor, a ballistic CBRN suit for trekking across sludge and protecting from infection, a lightweight stealth suit that makes you move more quickly but attracts plasma something fierce, and medical armor that increases stimpak potency by 50%.
* Ammo Boxes now tell you to kick them, and there's a new Random Explosives box. Plans on adding a large Random Medical goods box that can spawn on Berserk and Soulsphere spawns.
* Energy Vest can be repaired. Its shield is separate and needs charging with either Compact Cells or entire Armor Repairer batteries. I might have a crack at handling that through ACS rather than DECORATE but the DECORATE solution is simple and functional.
* New Monster with a focus on infecting the player.
* Zombies now have a low chance to drop consumables (Flares, Swarmer Pods, Portable Shield Generators, Flame Turrets, Chaingun Turrets)
* SO MUCH BALANCING to armors, weapons, ammo, inventory items, medical, etc.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Sounds like a good update! Any chance of rare permanent boosters, like stims to give you +5 HP, + Carry Weight, etc? Might be a fun way to add some progression alongside the gear.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

For health, I have considered making vitality spheres a bit more common. Megspheres have also been changed too. Rather than full health and a Demonic Armor you can't remove, it instead gives you max health, shield sphere's protection, and a +10 boost in max health.

For capacity there's 4 backpacks available for use. Standard loadouts start with the smallest, giving you a max carry weight of 60 kilos. Veteran loadouts start with a travel backpack for 80 kilos of max weight. Challenge loadouts start with no backpacks, carrying 45 kilos at max. There's also a combat backpack for 100 kilos and an assault backpack for 120 kilos.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.9.9.4 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

Carrotear wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:19 am Here ya'll go!

Scavver's Paradise Weapons Only
https://www.mediafire.com/file/bb59ll9e ... s.pk3/file
Thank you for putting this out, I will greatly enjoy mixing it up with different enemies!
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

Nice that we got a really great update that will improve the mod and add a new content. Hope I will like the new weight/speed system because It looks well balanced for what I sound. Also the Megasphere armor change is nice: despite you can tank lots of damage, the fact you lost any armor you have, that you can't change armors until it depletes and you can get completely exposed on bad times is annoying.

Also, the shotguns reworks sound great tho. I always try to use them since they're excellent to take down single targets and became better with the addition of slugs, but having them their ammo unified could simplify a lot of things with the carry capacity.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 am Hope I will like the new weight/speed system because It looks well balanced for what I sound.
I'm certainly trying my best to make it fun! It does become quite frustrating on map sets that don't spawn ~any~ backpacks for several levels (Lost Civilization is bad about this. I think it's Map05 or so where it first spawns a backpack, and levels are HUMONGOUS, so being limited to 60 kg of gear is annoying in that case.
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 amAlso the Megasphere armor change is nice: despite you can tank lots of damage, the fact you lost any armor you have, that you can't change armors until it depletes and you can get completely exposed on bad times is annoying.
I don't even know what I was thinking when I did that with the Megasphere. An armor that replaces what is physically on your person that prevents you from wearing armor on top of it is just bad game design.
Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 amAlso, the shotguns reworks sound great tho. I always try to use them since they're excellent to take down single targets and became better with the addition of slugs, but having them their ammo unified could simplify a lot of things with the carry capacity.
I can't promise this change, unfortunately. I do want to go through with it, but the process will be quite painful, and making all 9 shotguns plus the 2 mounted on other guns be able to swap between four different types of ammo will be a nightmare to program, but the end result will likely be better than the current system of "2 calibers of shotguns cause why the hell not?" I'm probably gonna give it about a week or so hiatus so I can tackle that with a clear, fresh mind.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Won't be promising an exact date, but much of the major stuff I wanna push for this update has been completed. Just finished converting all shotguns to use the same 12 gauge ammo. Haven't yet added extra alternate ammo types for the shotguns, that would be a metric pain in the ass to accomplish. Doable yes, and I know roughly how to do it, it'd just be an incredible pain in the ass. For now all ya get are buckshot and slugs, which are still pretty useful.

Pretty much all that's left are a couple more consumables I wanna throw in to compliment what's already there, maybe another weapon or two, and spend a good amount of time with testing for balancing. Make sure the shotguns are fun and useful without being overpowered. Making certain that the ammo balancing is to my liking since calibers have been removed and changed (there's been WAY too much 5.56mm ammo since I replaced 5.45mm ammo with it) and the whole nine yards.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Waiting on a reply and spending a few more days playtesting how I want the new weight system balanced, and if all goes well I should be able to post an update in the coming days. Sorry for taking so long y'all, been going through a lot lately. I just hope that it'll be worth all the waiting, cause there's a LOT that's new and changed.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”