Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

bowserknight

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.98c

Post by bowserknight »

Thank you so much for using my map! I'll be taking a look at the tournament in a few hours, good stuff anyways. The laziness / motivationlessness (is that even a word?) has been very strong in a lot of us lately, I guess. I got a feeling the white Cyberdemon or white Mancubus are gonna be some of the top players here.

Also I know Hege Cactus might be very busy at the moment but I'm still hyped to see this mod finished some day, no matter how long it takes.

In case anyone's interested in this test map, I made a seperate thread for it:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=74317
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Am i the only one seeing that the current download link does not work?
Saying this because someone else noticed first before i checked.

Dropbox says "pk3 files are supported but something went wrong"
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

whatup876 wrote:Am i the only one seeing that the current download link does not work?
Saying this because someone else noticed first before i checked.

Dropbox says "pk3 files are supported but something went wrong"
Click the arrow at the top left and choose download.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Okay, i just didn't notice oops so false alarm.
tuintje

Post by tuintje »

does anyone know what the option ex bosses does? I can't find any information anywhere. I've searched the entire post.

Loving the mod btw
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

tuintje wrote:does anyone know what the option ex bosses does? I can't find any information anywhere. I've searched the entire post.

Loving the mod btw
EX Bosses are even stronger versions of Black/White enemies. They’re basically on the level of Cheap MUGEN characters or bosses in fangames of indie RPGs to give you an idea. If you see an additional message appear at the top of your screen about a “chill running down your spine,” you better be ready. They’re sick and the only cure is PillowBlaster.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

More or less as he says, some of the black/white tier enemies can occasionally come in a nastier variant, that's what they are and that's what the setting controls. For example the black zombieguy is "Player 9" who is fairly tough with rockets and plasma, but his EX variant is "Player X" and uses a BFG. Amusingly but also terrifyingly, the EX White Shotgunner is just the normal version except fighting seriously, as if he already wasn't one of the worst.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

So its time for an update

Version 0.99
Download

New white tier enemy; The spidermastermind
You should have fun with this one
I still have plans to make something extra happen with white spidie, but thats for later time

Lot of bug fixes, specially when it comes to the backpack options since they had some weird issues
Also damage resistance and weakness tweaks, specially for La tailor girl related weapons

so enjoy
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.99

Post by Dewzanity »

YES! THE LEGENDARY CACTUS IS BACK WITH A BRAND NEW CRACKED ENEMY! :D :D :D

I've always wanted to say that Colourful Hell has been probably the most inspiring Doom mod to be, to the point where I've made mods with it, and even made my own shameless knockoffs, to which I might share one day. I don't know what it is with me and monster randomizers and colors, but I'm somehow fascinated with the idea, and this mod has had a wild influence on me, and I'm very thankful for everything that has been put together so far.

With that said, I tested White Mind out today, and here are my thoughts.
Spoiler:
Hege Cactus

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.99a

Post by Hege Cactus »

Yes, white mind was actually bit rushed, my apologies
it will later have a stage 2 on the 1.0 version

So, here's a fix patch
download

Fixed the death state and sounds, and fixed the proper sentinels
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

After horsing around a bit more with this mod, there are a few things I'd like to point out.

1. Some bugs I've seen go under the radar; Brown Arachno and Brown Mind completely bypass the check for if browns are enabled. The random spawners spawn "BrownSP2" instead of "BrownSP1", and "BrownMind2" instead of "BrownMind".

2. WhiteSG still screws up the kill count. The culprit is "ShotgunPunishNerf" and "ShotgunPunishNerf2" counting as kills for some reason, before they say "Aight I'm out".
I do have a question for WhiteSG as well. The reason he's always been so tough is because not only does he have 5000 HP, but he takes half damage from all regular damage types, effectively making him have 10000 HP! Is this intentional?

3. I like the idea of the Color Tier Icons, but the execution wasn't as good as it could've been. I've tried out my own take on Color Tier Icons as shown below.

The icons now float above the enemy heads at all times, and they're also standard numbers instead of roman numerals.

Pros :
Easier to indentify tiers.
Less actors on map, increasing performance.
YellowCaco and YellowSP1 are no longer drowning in a sea of icons.
Monster code becomes much cleaner.

Cons :
Tall monsters require modified actors of original icon actors to be above their heads. If the same actor is used for a taller enemy, the icon will be inside their head, or lower down, sorta like RedBaron above.

Bonus :
Spoiler:
I ain't quitting this mod until it's to 100% completion. Best of luck to you.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Dewzanity wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:14 am After horsing around a bit more with this mod, there are a few things I'd like to point out.

1. Some bugs I've seen go under the radar; Brown Arachno and Brown Mind completely bypass the check for if browns are enabled. The random spawners spawn "BrownSP2" instead of "BrownSP1", and "BrownMind2" instead of "BrownMind".

2. WhiteSG still screws up the kill count. The culprit is "ShotgunPunishNerf" and "ShotgunPunishNerf2" counting as kills for some reason, before they say "Aight I'm out".
I do have a question for WhiteSG as well. The reason he's always been so tough is because not only does he have 5000 HP, but he takes half damage from all regular damage types, effectively making him have 10000 HP! Is this intentional?

3. I like the idea of the Color Tier Icons, but the execution wasn't as good as it could've been. I've tried out my own take on Color Tier Icons as shown below.

The icons now float above the enemy heads at all times, and they're also standard numbers instead of roman numerals.

Pros :
Easier to indentify tiers.
Less actors on map, increasing performance.
YellowCaco and YellowSP1 are no longer drowning in a sea of icons.
Monster code becomes much cleaner.

Cons :
Tall monsters require modified actors of original icon actors to be above their heads. If the same actor is used for a taller enemy, the icon will be inside their head, or lower down, sorta like RedBaron above.

Bonus :
Spoiler:
I ain't quitting this mod until it's to 100% completion. Best of luck to you.
1. I thought I fixed that one since I fixed it earlier on, guess that fix didnt get to the final version.

2. Will try to fix

3. this was what I originally planned to do, but the con listed is why I had trouble with it

This brown monster mishap could actually justify another hot fix update to fix it, so might do just do that when I get a moment
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

Another quick bug I wanna mention right before the patch. Not sure how long this has been glitched for.
Spoiler:
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Alright

Quick hotfix patch
0.99b
Download

Fixes the brown spider spawn bugs and the other bugs mentioned by Dew
Exibius
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.99b

Post by Exibius »

I noticed skimming through the thread out of curiosity that there was mention of the DRLA assault minigun sprites having conflicts with the Abyss Mastermind actor sprites loosely mentioned here. Sure enough, it appears this version still has this issue. In the meantime, I edited the PK3 locally and changed all sprite names from AMIN to BMIN and reflected it inside AbyssMind2's decorate. Leaving this here so Hege can see this.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”