Left 4 Dead gameplay mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cherno

Re: Left 4 Doom - Left 4 Dead gameplay mod

Post by Cherno »

Mere_Duke wrote:First of all, I like what I see. And a warm thank you from a big fan of L4D!
A quick thoughts:
- Why the Witch death sound not the one from L4D but the death sound from Blood's Gargoyle? :D
- Again, Spitter uses Blood's Bloated Butcher attack sound
- Tank should prefer melee over rock throwing attacks; and push a player far away with punches
- Smoker should pull player with his tongue
- Hunter should be able to climb walls and ceilings
etc etc I think you know all of these yourself (there are so many more features that'd be cool to have; I don't think you need a list of them), just need time to implement it all. Keep it up!
Hi and thanks for your comments. The sounds have been mentioned before, I felt uneasy using all the infected sounds from Left 4 Dead, mabye valve would not look to kindly upon this since Left 4 Dead is still a popular game and not that old... I could probably find better sounds for the special infected but at some point I just had to get it out so I used a lot from Quake and Blood which I found decent.
The tank is indeed a little bit too likely to throw concrete slabs. He needs to be a little bit faster too IMHO. Knocking back with his attack is a good idea. So far, he is not too dangerous and acts more like a bullet sponge. The most dangerous enemy is probably the spitter.
Coding a grappling attack for the smoker is something I try to avoid as much as I can because I know it will involve lots of research and trial & error, although in the end I guess it has to be.... :D
The same goes for the hunter.
Mere_Duke

Re: Left 4 Doom - Left 4 Dead gameplay mod

Post by Mere_Duke »

Cherno wrote:
Mere_Duke wrote:First of all, I like what I see. And a warm thank you from a big fan of L4D!
A quick thoughts:
- Why the Witch death sound not the one from L4D but the death sound from Blood's Gargoyle? :D
- Again, Spitter uses Blood's Bloated Butcher attack sound
- Tank should prefer melee over rock throwing attacks; and push a player far away with punches
- Smoker should pull player with his tongue
- Hunter should be able to climb walls and ceilings
etc etc I think you know all of these yourself (there are so many more features that'd be cool to have; I don't think you need a list of them), just need time to implement it all. Keep it up!
Hi and thanks for your comments. The sounds have been mentioned before, I felt uneasy using all the infected sounds from Left 4 Dead, mabye valve would not look to kindly upon this since Left 4 Dead is still a popular game and not that old... I could probably find better sounds for the special infected but at some point I just had to get it out so I used a lot from Quake and Blood which I found decent.
The tank is indeed a little bit too likely to throw concrete slabs. He needs to be a little bit faster too IMHO. Knocking back with his attack is a good idea. So far, he is not too dangerous and acts more like a bullet sponge. The most dangerous enemy is probably the spitter.
Coding a grappling attack for the smoker is something I try to avoid as much as I can because I know it will involve lots of research and trial & error, although in the end I guess it has to be.... :D
The same goes for the hunter.
As for Hunter, he has scratching attack in L4D (crouch + rmb). It will fit better probably than current "pounce"-like type of attack.
As for Smoker, it would be nice for him to "leash" player, freezing (or not) him in place and damaging over time (until player kills Smoker or moves away or cuts tongue up with melee). No need to pull or something.

PS I dream of being able to 'level' a Charger with that red fire axe in Doom... meh, almost unreal to recreate :(
mr_klikbait

Re: Left 4 Dead gameplay mod

Post by mr_klikbait »

for what it is, its pretty good! however, i keep constantly running out of ammunition. i think common enemies should have a chance to drop some type of ammunition, like a 75% chance to drop either pistol or shotgun ammo. and maybe have some of the special zombies drop plasma/rockets, too.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

mr_klikbait wrote:for what it is, its pretty good! however, i keep constantly running out of ammunition. i think common enemies should have a chance to drop some type of ammunition, like a 75% chance to drop either pistol or shotgun ammo. and maybe have some of the special zombies drop plasma/rockets, too.
This is what the Infected health multiplier CVAR is for; to adjust the health (and thereby, ammo usage) relative to the weapons available. the vanilla Doom ones might be a little bit underpowered.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Great mod liking what i see here looking forward to seeing more.

Can you make a patch that makes these spawn among the Kriegsland enemies? i would love to kill Nazis & Green Flu infected all at the same time.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Of course, but I have no idea how powerful each of the Kriegsland enemies are, so I don't know which kind of infected to spawn in their place :geek:
These are the enemy actor names:

GibBasis
SoldatBasis
RobotBasis

Pistole1
Pistole2
Pistole3
Pistole4

Rifle1
Rifle2
Rifle3

MG1
MG2
MG3

Flammen1
Shotgun1
Special

Robot1
Robot2
Robot3
Robot4
Robot5

DeathKnights
Ubersoldaten
Astronauten
Totenkopf
WaffenSS
Hunds
armymen12002003

Cherno wrote:Of course, but I have no idea how powerful each of the Kriegsland enemies are, so I don't know which kind of infected to spawn in their place :geek:
These are the enemy actor names:

GibBasis
SoldatBasis
RobotBasis

Pistole1
Pistole2
Pistole3
Pistole4

Rifle1
Rifle2
Rifle3

MG1
MG2
MG3

Flammen1
Shotgun1
Special

Robot1
Robot2
Robot3
Robot4
Robot5

DeathKnights
Ubersoldaten
Astronauten
Totenkopf
WaffenSS
Hunds
well with most weapons mods in my experience I've used the pretty much make short work of the nazis the only one the poses a high threat is the flamethrower troops so it shouldn't that hard to figure out which spawns you could spawn among the infected.
VriskaSerket

Post by VriskaSerket »

This is great! It's just what I've been looking for, traditional zombies (even if these ones run). I especially enjoy playing this coupled with Factotum for a good Resident Evil feeling.

My only complaint is that the tank and witch can spawn replacing the very first zombieman or common low level enemy in the very first map pretty often, before you even have enough weapons and ammo to deal with them properly. The amount of times a witch or tank (especially witch though) replaces the very first enemy you encounter on a new game is pretty annoying. Plus the health of the witch is pretty damn high.

That aside this is pretty damn godtier otherwise, so good job mate! Will you add more common zombie variants later?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Yes, I agree that it can be annyoing having two tanks on the first map. I'm not sure yet how to counter this, though. Maybe the tank can only spawn for high-tier Doom enemies.
The witch has high health because she doesn't have the dangerous attack she does in L4D.
If you don't like running infected, you can turn them to shuffling zombies in the options menu.
More common variants are planned, yes.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

armymen12002003 wrote:Great mod liking what i see here looking forward to seeing more.

Can you make a patch that makes these spawn among the Kriegsland enemies? i would love to kill Nazis & Green Flu infected all at the same time.
There are so many enemies that it's a little bit too much work just for one person, but you can easily do it yourself if you take a look at the BrutalDoom or Ketchup patches. Basically, you create a replacement actor for each enemy and make it inherit from one of the RandomSpawners.
armymen12002003

Ok thanks i'll do that
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

VriskaSerket wrote:This is great! It's just what I've been looking for, traditional zombies (even if these ones run). I especially enjoy playing this coupled with Factotum for a good Resident Evil feeling.

My only complaint is that the tank and witch can spawn replacing the very first zombieman or common low level enemy in the very first map pretty often, before you even have enough weapons and ammo to deal with them properly. The amount of times a witch or tank (especially witch though) replaces the very first enemy you encounter on a new game is pretty annoying. Plus the health of the witch is pretty damn high.

That aside this is pretty damn godtier otherwise, so good job mate! Will you add more common zombie variants later?

In the meantime, open up zscript/RandomSpawner and remove/comment out the lines that would spawn a tank or other special infected in the CommonSpawner (or other) class.
VriskaSerket

Post by VriskaSerket »

Cherno wrote:In the meantime, open up zscript/RandomSpawner and remove/comment out the lines that would spawn a tank or other special infected in the CommonSpawner (or other) class.
Thanks! I did that, feels better now. Just one problem, both the default and the edit I made never replace hellknights, barons, cacodemons and pain elementals, but they do have a replacer assigned in the script. Any idea what's up with that?
goldenmob72

Post by goldenmob72 »

why not use the L4D2 zombie and special sounds ?
you can get em here dude
https://github.com/sourcesounds
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

trying to use this for something where i spawn them in manually but it seems to just spawn zombiemen and imps

Return to “Gameplay Mods”