How bad is overclocking a monitor?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Casualfan

How bad is overclocking a monitor?

Post by Casualfan »

My Lenovo Ideapad has a 60hz refresh rate, but with Vsync on I only get 55.8 fps at the max (this is across multiple games). I need Vsync because screen tearing bothers me.

I've been considering trying to overclock my monitor just to get it up to the full 60 fps, but I've also heard that overclocking can shorten the life of a device. I probably wouldn't overclock it to more than 65 hz. Does anyone here have experience with overclocking monitors and whether or not it significantly reduces the life of the monitor?

It's a Lenovo Ideapad 3, and I've had it for about two years.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: How bad is overclocking a monitor?

Post by Rachael »

1080p monitors are overclockable, and yes it can shorten the life of your device but monitors tend to handle it a bit better. Monitors *can* overheat, but it's a rare thing, and they usually just quit working before they hit a refresh rate that's actually going to hurt them. But that is not always the case - and it really depends on how it was built. Most of the time though - the backlight produces more heat than the other parts do.

I have no idea if you can overclock a laptop display, though.

What I can tell you is I have a 1080p currently active which is a 60 hz but will show 75 hz just fine - but yeah, it's an external monitor.

Thing is, though - I am not sure really that taking advice from random strangers on the internet is the best idea. :) This is a decision you have to take on, alone, and you have to simply understand that there are risks involved, and no amount of "good experiences" other people have will completely make those risks go away. Either you'll be lucky or you won't be. If you can afford to replace the display in question it might be worth trying it - if the display cannot be replaced, then definitely do not risk it.

But, honestly, though? 65 hz really isn't likely to be a major problem.

Return to “Off-Topic”