Problem with moving from one laptop to another: the same settings different render results!

Ask about mapping, UDMF, using DoomBuilder/editor of choice, etc, here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
martinezz123x2
Operating System Version (Optional): windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Problem with moving from one laptop to another: the same settings different render results!

Post by martinezz123x2 »

Hi I have boght a new laptop (Asus rog zephyrus with windows 10 home).
I've copied all the files from the previous laptop to the new one and approached some problems:
1. first trying to test a map on the same apps: ultimate doom builder and GzDoom leaded to an error message:

Code: Select all

"File gzdoom.pk3 is overriding core lump mapinfo/tnt.txt"

So I've upgraded the GzDoom from 4.3.3 to 4.4.2 and the test map ran.

However the light's effects were completely different from what I had on my previous laptop.
1. Lights were more dimm
2. Lights ran through obstacles - even throug an empty sector cut completely off from the map.
3. I've started with a revolver instead of a riffle

I tried to mimic all the settings I had on the previous laptop:
1. I copied all the files needed for brutal doom to the GzDoom 4.4.2 folder
2. I've set the same wads in resources for dom 2 (UDMF) config in the Ultimate Doom Builder
Here is the new setting:

And the link to the GzDoom 4.4.2:

Here is the old setting:

And the link to GzDoom 4.3.3:

And HERE are the differences in render.
The original render style on my old laptop:
(you can see that pillar blocks the lights and that there is a proper light cones setup on the celling)

And the new render.
(You can see that the lights go through the pillars and that the overall light level is much lower. It's hard to see but the light cone on the floor is from a directional light source that went THROUGH the pillar even thou the pillar is an empty sector.)

So.
WHAT SETTINGS AM I MISSING that lead to such differences?
How should I set up Ultimate Doom Builder (I want to upgrade it to v4025) and gzDoom (4.4.2) to run as on the old laptop?

My configs:
New Config:
Windows 10 home Build 19044.2251 (21H2)
Ultimate Doom builder: R4025 (64bit)
GzDoom 4.4.2 (64bit)

Old Config:
Windows 10 home Build 1763.348
Ultimate Doom builder: R3489 (64bit)
GzDoom 4.3.3 (64bit)
Last edited by martinezz123x2 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Problem with moving from one laptop to another: the same settings different render results!

Post by wildweasel »

Firstly, ensure that, in UDB's game configurations, you've set gzdoom.pk3 to NOT be loaded as a -file (I believe the check box is labeled "Exclude from testing parameters").

One of your screenshot links is broken, but I am assuming that the other thing might be a difference in which renderer GZDoom is set to use, or perhaps that the Hardware Renderer light mode is different.
martinezz123x2

Re: Problem with moving from one laptop to another: the same settings different render results!

Post by martinezz123x2 »

Hi thanks, but I have it excluded:
martinezz123x2

Post by martinezz123x2 »

Anyone??? Please help
gearlost

Post by gearlost »

Could you compare the option menu selections in between the two laptops?:

Options > Display options > Dynamic Light Options ... (shadowmaps?)
Options > Display options > Hardware Renderer ... (Sector light mode?)

Or see if you have all the same autoload mods etc. on both GZDoom versions, all the same resource files and the same version of your map on both versions of UDB?

If that didn't solve anything then run a comparison between the two GZDoom versions on a same computer: On your new computer get the old GZDoom 4.3.3 from: https://zdoom.org/files/gzdoom/bin/ and unzip it into a temporary folder. A new folder on the desktop is fine.

Copy the GZDoom 4.3.3 ini file from your old computer to your new computer. (Use an usb stick, cloud storage or mail it as an attachment to your own e-mail address accessable from your new computer.) As your username has changed you can run GZDoom with -config parameter.

In UDB open your map, hit F6 and go to the Testing page. Create a new test engine setup by clicking the green cross button, locate the GZDoom 4.3.3 exe from the Application section, give the engine a name: "test GZDoom 4.3.3". Enlarge the view by ticking the Customize parameters tic-box and add -config "u:\the new temp folder\GZDoom-your old config.ini" to the end of the Parameters box (adjust that with your path and flename):

https://i.imgur.com/5nI6ZXn.png

Now test run your map on GZDoom 4.3.3 with your old GZDoom ini. Does it match the old look of your map? I think UDB itself should not affect the looks on GZDoom.
martinezz123x2

Post by martinezz123x2 »

Hi. Thank You for pointing me to the GZDoom properties. When I mimicked all the video properties from the old GZDoom It started to look the same. However I still don't know which option is responsible for the light sources to block themselves on empty sectors.
But thanks alot.
gearslost

Post by gearslost »

Could you upload your GZDoom ini (from the new laptop) in somewhere? Unless you changed everything it's not hard the compare it to the default settings and gather the changes. After this you could test them one by one to find out which one made the difference.

Just saying, but if you'll release the map and it requires a specific graphics setup, you should explicitly tell that to the players. Otherways they might experience the map the same way as you did on your new laptop first.

Return to “Mapping”