[SOLVED] Sprite replacing in Slade3 not working?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
DuoDynamo2

[SOLVED] Sprite replacing in Slade3 not working?

Post by DuoDynamo2 »

I'm currently creating a mod for Doom (and learning as I go). I managed to change lots of things already, such as the status bar face, the Icon of Sin textures and even some sounds and music.

However, I hit a roadblock recently. When I attempted to replace the soulsphere sprites, the in-game graphics did not change. I have imported the assets I want to use into my PWAD with Slade3 and the names do match (SOULA0 through D0), but the in-game graphics still show me the default soulsphere sprite.

The custom graphics I'm using are in PNG format, which I have been using for everything else so far.

Do item pickups and other sprites need more than just dragging and dropping new graphics onto my PWAD to have the changes reflected in-game?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by DuoDynamo2 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Sprite replacing in Slade3 not working?

Post by wildweasel »

There are some things you might not know about sprite replacements, depending on whether you are working with a WAD or a ZIP archive. If you are using a ZIP (a PK3 is the same thing), sprites need to be in a sub folder called Sprites. If it's a wad file, you will need to create two new lump entries called S_START and S_END, and ensure that the new sprites are positioned between them, like so:

Code: Select all

S_START
SOULA0
SOULB0
SOULC0
S_END
In Slade, you can reposition lumps in the list using Control+U and Control+D.
DuoDynamo2

Re: Sprite replacing in Slade3 not working?

Post by DuoDynamo2 »

Yep, that did the trick. Thank you very much! :mrgreen:

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”