Feedback desired for PR #1854 to improve mouse handling while playing mods that adjust angles

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Feedback desired for PR #1854 to improve mouse handling while playing mods that adjust angles

Post by mjr4077au »

Hi Everyone,

I'm Mitch, one of the Raze developers. There's an old bug reported here whereby if a mod adjusts the player's angles in any way, it forces interpolation for the player for one tic. For those sensitive to input lag, this basically forces the mouse input to 30Hz which can be noticable.

I've attempted to address this in PR #1854 in a similar way to how we address this in Raze, but because GZDoom is used far greater than Raze, I can't test every mod and every scenario.

It'd be great if people could test this with their favourite mods, with multiplayer games etc and ensure that this causes no changes or breaks that require attention. The fix is only applied for single player games as you simply cannot do this kind of stuff for multiplayer or demos.

If there's any problems, please let me know here, and please be kind as I don't know GZDoom as well as I know Raze so it's a best effort attempt to submit a fix for a engine I'm less familiar with.

Thanks!
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Feedback desired for PR #1854 to improve mouse handling while playing mods that adjust angles

Post by mjr4077au »

Well, that was a small test 😅. The change is now opt-in under a new flag modders can use, its simply too volatile to drop in with existing setups and guarantee 100% operability.

Return to “Developer Blog”