[WIP] Kan: Awakening

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Samarai1000
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[WIP] Kan: Awakening

Post by Samarai1000 »

Spoiler: Bloated preamble
What is this?
A gameplay mod for GZDoom replacing weapons and (most) items. The lineup is relatively standard in functionality and mostly focuses on (hopefully) being satisfying to use and well-balanced. Quick-throw grenades are available as well as toggle behavior for the Radsuit and Lightamp powerups, and exactly four weapons have altfires. Be sure to check the controls!
No changes are made to monsters, so feel free to supply your own.

Why is this post so bare?
I'm making this thread and releasing an unfinished mod as a spur-of-the-moment decision likely influenced by exhaustion, I don't want to give myself enough time to change my mind on doing so, plus there's really not much to say about this mod.

Why's it called that?
Kan is the name of the protagonist. He's an old barely-fleshed-out character of mine that I rebooted for this mod. That's really all there is to it, I'm bad with titles.

Get this mess here!
Spoiler: What's not done?

Note about credits!
There's a good chance I've forgotten to credit somebody in one or more sections of the credits. If you recognize something that isn't credited, please tell me and I'll fix that ASAP. The credits shown below can also be found in the mod's files in .txt form.

Spoiler: Credits: Graphics
Spoiler: Credits: Sounds
Spoiler: Credit: Code
Last edited by Samarai1000 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Kan: Awakening

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Very good mod :3
cyber_cool
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cyber_cool »

Enjoying it so far. Some mechanics are certainly interesting. Weapons are powerful but you can't go trigger happy with your limited ammo pool, and sword is actually pretty useful (when I don't slash explosive barrels by accident).
Also noticed a little visual bug with the shotgun: when you select/deselect/reload it, a red dot slides around at the top of the screen.

Keep up the good work!
potetobloke

Post by potetobloke »

my opinion: the guns fuck, especially the plasma rifle replacement
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I've been longing for this! Samarai1000 is a stamp of quality. Can't wait to get home!
Yokoreta
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Yokoreta »

Holy Mother of God, the weapons feels awesome to fire and it even has a sword!
I love this new Era of modern doom weapons
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Man you learned a lot from Hell caliber, i also have to say that when i got the plasma replacement it crashed gzdoom, but sadly it didn't print out any errors or anything, it just crashed.
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

very cash money weapon mod, everything feels extremely C R I S P and fun to use! My only real suggestion is to maybe buff the shotgun's damage a bit, seeing as it's the only shotgun.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Played this mod few days ago and my and my... This is brilliant! The weapon feedback, sound design, reloading animations and pace of the gameplay are all flawless. It's about time playing high-quality addictive gameplay mod for real. Maybe max ammo capacity might be significantly decreased, this adds tactical experiences where you have to be witty with the ammo consumption. And the sword does some big help with reflective blocking, too.
Spoiler: And here are my feedback!
Feedback aside, this is still great. Lastly i love the minor details like you can add more ammo to bullet based weapons like IRL, and when i start moving the cloth rustling sound plays.

And lastly, the best mod with Machine Pistol award goes to this mod. Overall design and the sound effect make this gun beautiful. Nice job!
potetobloke

Post by potetobloke »

Captain J wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:39 pm
- The Grenades are versatile and even can be used while wielding any weapon. That's good and all but because of them being always timed, the attacking speed can be rather slow. I thought using nades on the hordes of Revenants was a good idea to dispatch all but man they mostly missed the target. Would be convenient if there's a new weapon or method to detonate them upon immediate impact.
The grenades have an on-impact explosion alt-fire
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

For some reason i literally forgot to check that out. My bad and nvm. Weaponry is nicely balanced!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

<3
Eomer_1983
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Eomer_1983 »

A smooth and beautiful weapon mod.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Great little mod! I think my only bigger things I'd like to see added would be some sort of super shotgun equivalent (the SMG is good, but feels weird as the secondary 3rd slot weapon) and a rocket or grenade launcher for slot 5. Maybe a bit more "oomph" for the firing sounds of some of the weapons like the shotgun and assault rifle as well.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”