Brightmaps Plus v1.92

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
speedy
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by speedy »

strangebit wrote:By the way, the WadSmoosh AutoName change in GZDoom 4.6.0 also affected Brightmaps Plus in the same way. Easy fix by just copying the doom.id.doom2 filter folder as doom.id.wadsmoosh, except for the textures one. But I'm not sure that one is worth trying to support WadSmoosh with, because of the way WadSmoosh replaces the textures at runtime for the Final Doom maps. It would be a lot trickier.
Has anyone been able to get bmplus 1.9 to work with Wadsmoosh?
I've been unsuccessful in getting this to work with GZDoom 4.7.1 even after trying these steps above.
Jakie
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Brightmaps Plus v1.9

Post by Jakie »

Hey there! A person over on the ZDoom discord wanted a fix to this with WadSmoosh so I might as dump these here.

These are fixes for people who use WadSmoosh, simply unzip the file, add the "brightmaps" folder from the original Brightmap+ PK3 to it, then zip it back up.
(I didn't include the brightmaps folder since it kinda sketchy of me to do so.)

As for NightFright, you might want to add this to the main PK3. When you do, I'll cross out this reply and label it deprecated.

Message crossed out as the fix has been added to the main PK3.
Last edited by Jakie on Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kazudra

Re: Brightmaps Plus v1.9

Post by Kazudra »

Jakie wrote:Hey there! A person over on the ZDoom discord wanted a fix to this with WadSmoosh so I might as dump these here.

These are fixes for people who use WadSmoosh, simply unzip the file, add the "brightmaps" folder from the original Brightmap+ PK3 to it, then zip it back up.
(I didn't include the brightmaps folder since it kinda sketchy of me to do so.)

As for NightFright, you might want to add this to the main PK3. When you do, I'll cross out this reply and label it deprecated.
Hold up, Wadsmoosh has consistent File-naming?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.91 released

Post by NightFright »

Wadsmoosh support added for all packs.
Warning: I didn't test this, so use this at your own risk.
Edgelord77

Re: Brightmaps Plus v1.91

Post by Edgelord77 »

Is one allowed to use the assets in these files in another project (with credit, of course)?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Sure.
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

No idea. If the sprites are not the same (i.e. if they have spaces where the Revenant100 fixes have none or vice versa), brightmaps won't match and you will see glitches.

I would say just try it and see if you notice anything weird. From what I read, this guy mostly focussed on offset changes which wouldn't affect the brightmaps. Personally, I don't really see the point in yet another sprite fixing project, tbh. These changes are rather cosmetic and if I am honest, I even rarely notice the effects of Revenant100's fixes during actual gameplay.
Xtyfe
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

NightFright wrote:No idea. If the sprites are not the same (i.e. if they have spaces where the Revenant100 fixes have none or vice versa), brightmaps won't match and you will see glitches.

I would say just try it and see if you notice anything weird. From what I read, this guy mostly focussed on offset changes which wouldn't affect the brightmaps. Personally, I don't really see the point in yet another sprite fixing project, tbh. These changes are rather cosmetic and if I am honest, I even rarely notice the effects of Revenant100's fixes during actual gameplay.
Seems like the only changes done are offsets and mirroring. Some sprites are named differently and there seems to be extra padding added to allow that mirroring to happen.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Then that's it, it seems. Not compatible, sorry.

And before anyone is asking: I wouldn't create adjusted brightmaps for that project (or any other, for that matter) unless someone (probably the author) provided a complete list of any sprites that deviate from Revenant100's fixes in any way other than offsets (i.e. padding, mirroring or anything else that would alter brightmapped areas).

Adjusting the brightmaps wouldn't even be a big deal, but comparing the new versions with both the original spritefixes and vanilla (in case sprites get changed that weren't included in Revenant100's project) would - to know what has been changed and how. That's an insane task with hundreds of sprites to review manually and I neither have the time nor motivation to do that, I'm afraid.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.92 released

Post by NightFright »

Update after a full year!

This restores compatibility with latest Sprite Fixes Project v2.0.
No changes for vanilla sprites/textures brightmaps.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Brightmaps Plus v1.92

Post by hoover1979 »

I use this on Heretic and Hexen. Does this pack support Strife?
PhoenixCyanFire
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PhoenixCyanFire »

Any chance these brightmaps get colored to look even better?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Colors have no place in brightmaps. It's about how bright or dark certain areas of an image are, end of story. My brightmaps are going to stay greyscale and that's final. 8-)

What I'm still considering is a version which has the glowing eyes on monsters removed. For those out there who consider it to be too game-changing. There's also still this demon texture with glowing eyes I need to get rid of. It's actually rather about removing stuff at this point than adding. :)
Airos

Post by Airos »

There's a few sprites with some lingering colored pixels that seem to have escaped the conversion to grayscale. (In both the spritefix v1.92 and vanilla v1.91 versions)

Code: Select all

/DOOM
canda0
cbraa0
ceyea0
ceyeb0
ceyec0
chgfa0
smbta0
smbtb0
smbtc0
smbtd0