gzdoom lags when hardware acceleration

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
LuzRoja29ZD
Preferred Pronouns: Ask Me
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

gzdoom lags when hardware acceleration

Post by LuzRoja29ZD »

my gzdoom (4.8.2) lags (to 15 fps) when hardware acceleration. ocurrs when i use openGL or Vulkan. my pc specs are:
Windows 10 64x
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
8GB of ram

when i select render by doom software, the game goes stable, but has a horrible effect when looking up or down

i also have zandronum, and is very stable, but i need gzdoom to play a custom map with 3d floors
Gez

Re: gzdoom lags when hardware acceleration

Post by Gez »

LuzRoja29ZD wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:33 amwhen i select render by doom software, the game goes stable, but has a horrible effect when looking up or down
That effect is known as Y-shearing.
LuzRoja29ZD

Post by LuzRoja29ZD »

so.. how can i fix the lag in gzdoom?

(also, thanks for the comment, was interesting (no joke))
Gez

Post by Gez »

I don't have enough familiarity with hardware to tell whether it's normal or not, sorry. Best I can do is suggest looking into the various options and turn off anything that seems unnecessary. For example:
Display options -> Hardware renderer -> Postprocessing -> turn everything off (bloom, lens distortion, ambient occlusion, FXAA, dither, tonemap...)
Display options -> Hardware renderer -> Multisample off
Display options -> Texture options -> High Quality Resize multiplier off
Display options -> Dynamic light options -> Light shadowmaps no
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

When the startup dialog shows up you can also select OpenGL ES instead of OpenGL/Vulkan, this should shoot your speed up considerably on a system like that.

GZDoom is a bit heavy with the stock shaders in the default renderer backends and that can cause problems with some integrated GPU chipsets.

If pixel fillrate is a problem, you can also use resolution scaling to bring the resolution down to a factor of 0.5 for further improvement, but I don't recommend bringing it down much further unless you're actively trying to emulate chunky retro gaming resolutions.
LuzRoja29ZD

Post by LuzRoja29ZD »

Gez wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:23 pm I don't have enough familiarity with hardware to tell whether it's normal or not, sorry. Best I can do is suggest looking into the various options and turn off anything that seems unnecessary. For example:
Display options -> Hardware renderer -> Postprocessing -> turn everything off (bloom, lens distortion, ambient occlusion, FXAA, dither, tonemap...)
i already has that settings, and none of that works...
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

LuzRoja29ZD wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:22 pm
Gez wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:23 pm I don't have enough familiarity with hardware to tell whether it's normal or not, sorry. Best I can do is suggest looking into the various options and turn off anything that seems unnecessary. For example:
Then change to the GLES renderer and see how that fares. If that also gives you 15 fps, than something else is the culprit entirely.
LuzRoja29ZD

Post by LuzRoja29ZD »

Redneckerz wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:30 am
Then change to the GLES renderer and see how that fares. If that also gives you 15 fps, than something else is the culprit entirely.
i also did that, and doesnt work :(
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

LuzRoja29ZD wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:39 am

At this point we really need a crashlog and your gzdoom.ini to determine anything else beyond guesswork so i implore you to do just that. :)
LuzRoja29ZD

Post by LuzRoja29ZD »

Redneckerz wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:05 pm
LuzRoja29ZD wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:39 am
At this point we really need a crashlog and your gzdoom.ini to determine anything else beyond guesswork so i implore you to do just that. :)
ok
the game doesnt crash, only is a low fps
the .ini: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C1tSRd ... share_link

Return to “Technical Issues”