Vsync in MacOS Causes Frame Stutter

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Andrew67100
Graphics Processor: Apple M1

Vsync in MacOS Causes Frame Stutter

Post by Andrew67100 »

Hello! Title says it all. I have reported this issue before but wasn't (and am still not exactly) able to nail down a cause of what it could be. Simply put, turning on vsync causes some very noticeable frame stuttering at any frame rate and well under what my Mac can max out at. In DOOM II, I usually get about 400 FPS at the beginning stage on my monitor, but locking it to my monitor's refresh rate of 100 causes stutters. Now, just limiting the frame rate to 100 and turning vsync off eliminates the stutters, but introduces some distracting tearing. My solution for playing right now is simply letting the frames run wild and dealing with the occasional screen tearing, but I would love to be able to play with vsync enabled.

I'm running GZDoom 4.9 using MacOS 13 on an M1 Max Mac Studio.

Thank you.
_mental_

Re: Vsync in MacOS Causes Frame Stutter

Post by _mental_ »

Apple broke VSync again. Early versions of Monterey had exactly the same bug. Nothing we can do about it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Things were great in Monterey at the end, I wish they hadn't moved forward with Ventura.
Andrew67100

Post by Andrew67100 »

This stutter was still occurring in Monterey, even late version. Vsync does not have this issue in VKQuake. I’m really just curious as to what’s causing it, because the new Resident Evil 8 port runs smooth as butter on my Mac.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

What renderer are you using, OpenGL or Vulkan?
Andrew67100

Post by Andrew67100 »

_mental_ wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:47 pm What renderer are you using, OpenGL or Vulkan?
I'm using Vulkan, but it still occurs with every other renderer.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

It seems to be this issue. Although, I have no idea why VKQuake works fine.
Can you set vid_nativefullscreen CVAR to true and restart GZDoom to check if it changes something?
Andrew67100

Post by Andrew67100 »

_mental_ wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:54 am It seems to be this issue. Although, I have no idea why VKQuake works fine.
Can you set vid_nativefullscreen CVAR to true and restart GZDoom to check if it changes something?
Hmm that didn't seem to affect it at all. Here's a clip of what it looks like for me, in slow motion though so it comes across clearer. I spotted about 9 stutters/hitches in this clip. You'll notice the frame time graph doesn't actually reflect these stutters, which is very odd to me. https://imgur.com/a/UaQXINd

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”