[Move if needed] Desync in multiplayer?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Move if needed] Desync in multiplayer?

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Just updated tonight to try out 4.9.0 with my friend
for some reason the game is de-syncing after a few seconds in co-op now?
we re-did all of our mods settings back to what they were in the previous version etc.
is it possible anything in 4.9.0 could be causing desync's suddenly?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Move if needed] Desync in multiplayer?

Post by Rachael »

Moving to Tech Issues for now - will move back to bugs if we can see that this is definitely a GZDoom bug.

Do remember that for multiplayer everything must be exactly the same across both machines - the only thing that can be different is the binary you are using if you are on another platform (i.e. crossplay between Windows and Mac and Linux should all work fine). Even the slightest difference can throw things off - and that can happen like, say, if you downloaded your mods from different places.

Some mods also are not multiplayer capable because they use CVars incorrectly or do not properly sync the UI state when needed.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

we are using the exact same mods we were using with 4.8.6 or whatever
and went through every single mod setting to match them, stumped.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It wouldn't surprise me if something got introduced that could be causing desync's, especially since CVars underwent a major rework.

Try (temporarily) using the exact same .ini and then customize your settings one by one until it desyncs again, if you can find the CVar that is causing the desync let us know.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Rachael wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:09 am It wouldn't surprise me if something got introduced that could be causing desync's, especially since CVars underwent a major rework.

Try (temporarily) using the exact same .ini and then customize your settings one by one until it desyncs again, if you can find the CVar that is causing the desync let us know.
would the fastest way to do this be to jus copy the current one out of the folder as a backup?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yeah, you can do that.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

OK I think we narrowed it down to the EDF radar mod from this page. I don't know how to check the cVars for it. but i don't think it has too many.
viewtopic.php?t=73461

Return to “Technical Issues”