How to run software renderer?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
omxgamer127
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

How to run software renderer?

Post by omxgamer127 »

Hi it is possible to choose between software mode or opengl or vulkan by a command line?
I need it because i'm using a doom launcher to run my collection of wads ,when i click on start to play it's not ask me because all iwads are already configured to the specific pwads
The port the most i use is LZDoom_3.88b
Give me all the commands if it's exist
omxgamer127

Re: How to run software renderer?

Post by omxgamer127 »

@lafoxxx i have this error : Unsupported OpenGL version.
At least OpenGL 3.3 is required to run GZDoom.
can i use mesa to bypass it? i'm on windows i found a windows version here : https://github.com/pal1000/mesa-dist-win and here : https://fdossena.com/?p=mesa/index.frag
In the official wesite : "Mesa releases are available in two formats: .tar.xz and .tar.gz."
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Use the "softpoly" backend when starting GZDoom.

If you're using the command line you can type "+vid_preferbackend 2" when starting GZDoom. You can try 3 instead of 2 just to test.

Either way though your GPU is much too old to run GZDoom.

Also - please don't bump really old topics. I will split this one into a new topic.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

Unsupported OpenGL version.
At least OpenGL 3.3 is required to run GZDoom
Looks like a problem with GPU driver. OpenGL 3.3 is quite old tech.
What is your GPU?
omxgamer127

Post by omxgamer127 »

I have Intel HD Graphics 3000, ram 12 ,win7
I found a solution here : https://community.citra-emu.org/t/force ... dows/14122
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

omxgamer127 wrote:I have Intel HD Graphics 3000, ram 12 ,win7
I found a solution here : https://community.citra-emu.org/t/force ... dows/14122
You can force that all your want but a HD3000 only has supports for OpenGL 3.1. Anything above and you are just running into weird fixes that aren't really fixes at all.

Frank of the matter, a HD3000 is just really old and it just does not cut it for GZDoom at minimal settings. Stick to other ZDoom flavors or use the GLES renderer.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Somehow i missed this thread, he wrote me a PM on Discord and he managed to get the Mesa driver running but of course it's a software driver.
I advised him to use softpoly too.
TubePal9462
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by TubePal9462 »

Unsupported OpenGL version. At least OpenGL 3.3 is required to run GZDoom. what do i do to fix this? Where can i download opengl 3.3? And Very fatal crash if i run gzdoom with OpenGLES. I can use only Soft Poly, but its very laggy
Gez

Post by Gez »

Assuming your video drivers are up to date, there's no real fix besides getting newer hardware. I suppose you could try to get one of the software implementations of OpenGL (I think Mesa3D does this?) but it's gonna be horrible performances-wise as you'll have your CPU trying to do the job of the GPU.

The OpenGL 3.3 specifications are from March 2010. For Intel HD graphics, if you have Ivy Bridge (2012) or newer, it should support OpenGL 3.3 just fine. If you have something older, you're probably not goinng to get good performances with GZDoom anyway since it's being developed for more modern hardware.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sorry, but Intel HD3000 is not supported by the hardware renderer. Some people apparently managed to get it working with GLES but it seems to be a crapshoot.
This chipset is simply too old and the driver too bad to have any chance with it.

Even OpenGL 3.3 is on the chopping block by now because its user share seens to consist entirely of people running GZDoom on a VM.
TubePal9462
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by TubePal9462 »

i dont know if my drivers are up to date or not
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

There's no magic switch that Graf can flip to make GZDoom run on your hardware. Other than getting a new computer your best shot is probably to use a port with lower OpenGL requirement such as PRBoom+
etommyrh85

Post by etommyrh85 »

Greetings, I hope I ain't too late to drop by to see about helping others. I am new here but have been getting into brutal doom, doom , wolf months prior

I also own a laptop with display adapter intel hd 3000 lenovo thinktab that i've been using since 2018. Yes it's old and there are no guarantees. I've tried the softpoly and it lags. There may be another bypass. I've found a youtube video about blender game and opengl3.3 that has a link into their descriptions about an application extension file called opengl32.dll. You then need to place it into the file location like gzdoom and your wads, then launch gzdoom see if that helps run wads.

I managed to run gzdoom 4.10 once i added this application extension file with it and to no surprise it displayed very slow video, messed up cropped up resolution, lag was little super. I just needed to make some low setting adjustments from the options and yeah i was able to run brutal doom, brutal wolfenstein 3d and doom 64 retribution but here are some pro's and con's or at least to my experience...the gzdoom seems to run a lot better on a superspeed usb thumb drive than the laptop's hardware. Probably cuz the laptop is just too old that the storage system is slowly responding? May be a different scenario with yall but this one is mine. here is the link of the application extension and also the youtube video that i obtained it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqLFVM3ePiM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19teTBN ... aiDwv/view

my settings how i smoothly run Doom 64: Retribution on this old slow pulp is:
Preferred Renderer API: opengl/vulkan/opengles dont matter
render mode: True Color SW Renderer
scaling: lowest possible scale
scale factor: 0.25

in case yall get R_OPENGL: OpenGL driver not accelerated! > means you must verify that the application extension file opengl32.dll needs to be in the gzdoom folder. hope this helps, cheers.
yum13241
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)

Post by yum13241 »

that opengl32.dll is most likely a software implementation that is as slow as hell.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

And will never officially be supported by the GZDoom team. Here be dragons - we have not tested that download, you assume all risks, etc, yadda yadda, you know the drill.

Return to “Technical Issues”