Relighting Doom v3.31b [Updated 4/8/22]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
nooflorist

Re: Relighting Doom v3.31b [Updated 4/8/22]

Post by nooflorist »

this is such an amazing concept. imho it is superior to other relighting projects, because it works with all mods and wads instead of handcrafted lighting projects. downside of course is, that it's very demanding. also larger maps take a while to load.

one suggestion for improvement: these monitors with schematics should emit a light green light.
DeevDaRabbit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DeevDaRabbit »

Could you maybe make a version where it ONLY includes the colored lights and nothing else? I honestly am not fond of how some elevators are totally dark in Freedoom Phase 2.
Jankman

Post by Jankman »

Is there a way to have the special effects like reflections and dynamic lights and such without it messing with the sector lighting?
It seems to disable DarkDoomz which I prefer for fine-tuning the light levels.
tuintje

Post by tuintje »

the author seems to have vanished sadly
Dan_The_Noob
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

this mod would be a great plugin for Doombuilder maybe. the load time of even slightly complex maps makes it a bit hard to recommend outside of vanilla/smaller content.
SierraKomodo
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SierraKomodo »

So I understand the original author seems to be MIA. Still, I'll drop this here for everyone anyway since it'll help anyone else that sees this, might help find a better workaround than 'Just turn off that feature,' and maybe someone down the line that has the know-how (Or the author if they come back) can fix it.

The `Enable Dark Shadows (Beta)` setting creates weird shadow banding and spots of pitch blackness that don't exist with the setting disabled. Disabling Dynamic Lights in GZDoom's settings also seems to fix the banding, but that's not desirable since it also makes flashlight++ and probably other modded and GZDoom functionality break (And I suspect this is because the dark shadows feature is built off or uses dynamic lights).

I'd post multiple screenshots, but apparently, any screenshot I take of the game using ShareX shows the first screenshot taken instead of the different views and angles I attempted to get, so you get 1. Note the band on the ceiling - This line moves as I turn instead of staying in the same spot as a note.

generic name guy

Post by generic name guy »

SierraKomodo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:35 pm So I understand the original author seems to be MIA. Still, I'll drop this here for everyone anyway since it'll help anyone else that sees this, might help find a better workaround than 'Just turn off that feature,' and maybe someone down the line that has the know-how (Or the author if they come back) can fix it.

The `Enable Dark Shadows (Beta)` setting creates weird shadow banding and spots of pitch blackness that don't exist with the setting disabled. Disabling Dynamic Lights in GZDoom's settings also seems to fix the banding, but that's not desirable since it also makes flashlight++ and probably other modded and GZDoom functionality break (And I suspect this is because the dark shadows feature is built off or uses dynamic lights).

I'd post multiple screenshots, but apparently, any screenshot I take of the game using ShareX shows the first screenshot taken instead of the different views and angles I attempted to get, so you get 1. Note the band on the ceiling - This line moves as I turn instead of staying in the same spot as a note.

I don't see any bands on the ceiling, and it sounds like you're just describing the software light mode in GZDoom
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

SierraKomodo wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:35 pm So I understand the original author seems to be MIA. Still, I'll drop this here for everyone anyway since it'll help anyone else that sees this, might help find a better workaround than 'Just turn off that feature,' and maybe someone down the line that has the know-how (Or the author if they come back) can fix it.

If I understand what you meant correctly, that's just how the "Dark Shadows" work. It's not very good, sadly.
You can also take screenshots directly from GZDoom instead, those will work correctly, but will have to be uploaded manually.
Hey Doomer_
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Update is pending with the following: directional floor and wall shadows for sprites (these look great), improved color management (based on the standard Doom palette), vastly improved dynamic sector lighting, greatly improved performance, and on-the-fly configuration. Works with any mod (e.g. DarkDoomZ), any textures (there are no config lumps), any game (e.g. Heretic), and with cvar performance tweaks any hog mod (e.g. Brutal Doom). Just couldn't let it be. :D
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:09 am Update is pending with the following: directional floor and wall shadows for sprites (these look great), improved color management (based on the standard Doom palette), vastly improved dynamic sector lighting, greatly improved performance, and on-the-fly configuration. Works with any mod (e.g. DarkDoomZ), any textures (there are no config lumps), any game (e.g. Heretic), and with cvar performance tweaks any hog mod (e.g. Brutal Doom). Just couldn't let it be. :D
:geek:
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

looooks like he's bacc. that's epic to see. good luck on the progress.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

Yes! You're back. Look forward to the update :)
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

Hey Doomer_ wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:09 am Update is pending with the following: directional floor and wall shadows for sprites (these look great), improved color management (based on the standard Doom palette), vastly improved dynamic sector lighting, greatly improved performance, and on-the-fly configuration. Works with any mod (e.g. DarkDoomZ), any textures (there are no config lumps), any game (e.g. Heretic), and with cvar performance tweaks any hog mod (e.g. Brutal Doom). Just couldn't let it be. :D
YES!! Glad to see this come to fruition :D
Hey Doomer_
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hey Doomer_ »

Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

how the heck are those shadows not expensive

Return to “Gameplay Mods”