[0.10.6] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
r&r

Re: [0.9.3] Gun Bonsai -- everything-compatible weapon upgrading

Post by r&r »

Netheritor wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:54 am In my opinion, auto shot can be tricky. There are multiple fire mode for a weapon. I just hope the modder can have code to detect fire mode and applying the upgrade.
For spread shot, the modder seems has difficulty about that.
ToxicFrog, maybe this idea can become the alternative of spread shot. Instead spreading the shot, do a multishot. Basically, instead firing a single pellet for a pistol, it fires 2 pellets at once. Now, I don't know if this upgrade should be in weapon or player though.
Ah I see
Heres another Idea

I think this was mention too?
How about able to upgrade a Max the capacity
for Health, and Armor and Ammo?
by like 5 or 10 points amount?
almost like a RPG upgrade system but can do it like 25 or 50 times each of them,
as they stack up together for each upgrade.

Example if you Gain 1 Max Health Upgrade,
it be 110 now, but if you level it up by Lvl 12
it should 220 HP.
NamelessGuy
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NamelessGuy »

Got a few ideas for upgrades as well:

Projectile weapon only - teleporting shots: allows projectiles of that weapon to go into teleporters
Wimpy weapons only - infinite ammo: possibly a rare upgrade (or maybe make it so you can get it only after already gaining some levels) that makes wimpy weapons like standard doom pistol actually useful. Honestly, even with this mod using weapons like these are painful.
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

The mas health and max armor upgrade should already in there. Mainly the scavenge blood and scavenge steel, when it's lv2 they have max 200 hp and armor, but no higher than 200. Another upgrade is dark harvest for melee weapon, It capped at +20 health and armor for each dark harvest. I don't think there is an upgrade to increase max ammo.

Also, for the rapid fire bug. It's this mod bug. Every map change, the rapid fire upgrade with current equipped weapon is (temporary) gone. Changing the weapon or on/off the upgrade is the alternative fix. Found this bug in hexen since 1-2 weeks ago. And found it again in other mods and games. Easy to replicate.
(So that's why there is something I missed when I want to comment in here, I forgot about the rapid fire bug)
ToxicFrog
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): NixOS

Post by ToxicFrog »

I've probably missed a call to OnActivate() somewhere, I've added that to the TODO list. Ammo capacity upgrade is a nice-to-have I've had planned for a while but just haven't gotten around to implementing; for a while the mod didn't have the necessary framework in place, but I think it should now, it's just a matter of writing the upgrade. Health/armour upgrades independent of healing effects like Scavenge/Harvest are tricky, because max armour is stored in the pickup, not the player, and max health is based on both the MaxAmount of the health pickup and what MaxHealth items the player is carrying, so I've kind of gone "that's a problem for Future Me!" whenever I've considered it.

The past week or two have been absolutely frantic and the next week isn't looking much better, but I might be able to get a few bugfixes out there.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Was a power armor upgrade idea was discuss
or something similar?

As I got a idea for Shield generator,
but it only protect the player for one hit taken no damage,
then it got 8-12 seconds of cool down to recharge.
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

That wasn't discussed, but I do like the idea of Glass Heart-style upgrades that completely negate some number of hits but need to recharge.
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

I want that recharging shield too, but uh... Let's just say most upgrades in my mind is inspired by corruption cards.
Also, can I request an ammo pickup custom item? Something similar with health and armor drop upgrade? A mod I played doesn't drop their own ammo with scavenge lead, it drop invisible pickup instead.
Also found VM abort with the mod I played. The abort happens when I smashing hexen upgraded centaur (the one with shield and can shoot) with the mace, with the upgrade of thunderbolt. Maybe the submunitions and swiftness can cause the abort too, or maybe because the centaur is custom enemy.

The mod is called "Hexen: Serpent Resurrection"
Also, why when I post attachment I got "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." in the status? I can't post pics.

It said;
VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero
Called from TFLV_Upgrade_Thunderbolt_Aux.PostBeginPlay at GunBonsai-0.9.3.pk3:ca.ancilla.bonsai/upgrades/lightning.zsc, line 461
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

is it possible to remove the pause/freeze function on the menu?
it de-syncs co-op but otherwise the mod works as intended. (up to that point, at least)

---EDIT---
turns out just getting an upgrade de-syncs co-op. not sure what can be done there.
r&r

Post by r&r »

ToxicFrog wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:25 pm That wasn't discussed, but I do like the idea of Glass Heart-style upgrades that completely negate some number of hits but need to recharge.
Kinda like a bonus hit-point system that recharge slowly then?
that can work too.

Oh I got a idea for a new Element, Wind.
The text color maybe can be white-grey,
The Two basic abilities,

The First is a repel/push away ability (kinda like Hexen's Disc of Repulsion)

The 2nd ability is slash attack like Wind-Cuts,
upgrading it more does more combo slash of hits.

The two powerful wind ability upgrades

The First one
after that enemy death 6 small Wind-twisters come out
of the fallen enemy and they act like
Wraithverge ghost.

The 2nd
Acts more like Iron Lich wind attack.
MsrSgtShooterPerson
Location: Lost in the procedural infinite hells and I'm fine with that.

Post by MsrSgtShooterPerson »

Any plans to have something like a chance to fire specific monster's projectile as a gun upgrade? Would be interesting to have something like the ability to fire and imp ball every 10 shots or even as a higher-order modifier for Submunitions or Fragmentation Shots - just like the monsters fire another monster's projectile card from Corruption Cards, any monster and player projectile can be considered as an independent random upgrade - projectiles with higher notable damage will show up with far lower frequency too? :D
ToxicFrog

Post by ToxicFrog »

As you've no doubt noticed, I still haven't gotten those bugfixes out. I'm hoping this weekend is the last one that's absolute madness for a while, but we'll see.
Netheritor wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:02 pm I want that recharging shield too, but uh... Let's just say most upgrades in my mind is inspired by corruption cards.
Also, can I request an ammo pickup custom item? Something similar with health and armor drop upgrade? A mod I played doesn't drop their own ammo with scavenge lead, it drop invisible pickup instead.
Toggling the "use builtin actors for scavenge drops" setting might fix this; give it a try.
Also found VM abort with the mod I played. The abort happens when I smashing hexen upgraded centaur (the one with shield and can shoot) with the mace, with the upgrade of thunderbolt. Maybe the submunitions and swiftness can cause the abort too, or maybe because the centaur is custom enemy.

The mod is called "Hexen: Serpent Resurrection"
Also, why when I post attachment I got "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." in the status? I can't post pics.

It said;
VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero
Called from TFLV_Upgrade_Thunderbolt_Aux.PostBeginPlay at GunBonsai-0.9.3.pk3:ca.ancilla.bonsai/upgrades/lightning.zsc, line 461
I haven't tested it with Serpent Resurrection at all; this is probably my fault. I've added it to the bugs-to-investigate list. I know it works with custom enemies in general because it works fine with Ashes, MetaDoom, etc, but there's always the chance of some edge case causing my code to explode.
Dan_The_Noob wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:38 am is it possible to remove the pause/freeze function on the menu?
it de-syncs co-op but otherwise the mod works as intended. (up to that point, at least)

---EDIT---
turns out just getting an upgrade de-syncs co-op. not sure what can be done there.
So, I know very little about how co-op works, the mod has received no testing in multiplayer, and I'm not at all surprised that it breaks in MP. Multiplayer support is on my "nice to have, someday, if I can figure it out" list; I don't think it's impossible but this is very much a project where I'm learning as I go.

I suspect that fixing this will involve reworking NetworkProcess so that when a player picks an upgrade, that upgrade is given to them whether they're the consoleplayer or not? Maybe? At the moment there's a lot of "if the player receiving this event is not the consoleplayer do nothing" checks and I suspect that's what's breaking it.
MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:51 pm Any plans to have something like a chance to fire specific monster's projectile as a gun upgrade? Would be interesting to have something like the ability to fire and imp ball every 10 shots or even as a higher-order modifier for Submunitions or Fragmentation Shots - just like the monsters fire another monster's projectile card from Corruption Cards, any monster and player projectile can be considered as an independent random upgrade - projectiles with higher notable damage will show up with far lower frequency too? :D
That sounds difficult, but not impossible, and also really cool -- thanks for the idea!
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

either explosive death or HE shots is causing it, but sometimes when telefragging and enemy you kinda telefrag yourself as well. (Looks like its from at least Explosive Death)
Last edited by Ryuhi on Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan_The_Noob

Post by Dan_The_Noob »

ToxicFrog wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:06 am
Dan_The_Noob wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:38 am is it possible to remove the pause/freeze function on the menu?

---EDIT---
So, I know very little about how co-op works, the mod has received no testing in multiplayer, and I'm not at all surprised that it breaks in MP. Multiplayer support is on my "nice to have, someday, if I can figure it out" list; I don't think it's impossible but this is very much a project where I'm learning as I go.

I suspect that fixing this will involve reworking NetworkProcess so that when a player picks an upgrade, that upgrade is given to them whether they're the consoleplayer or not? Maybe? At the moment there's a lot of "if the player receiving this event is not the consoleplayer do nothing" checks and I suspect that's what's breaking it.
oh i see.
well i can help with a few crash/de-sync causes i've found.
1. opening the upgrade/UI causes a de-sync.
2. attaining an upgrade (even if set to 1 choice/auto-pick) causes a de-sync.
3. not a crash but getting homing projectiles twice causes projectiles to go into the ground for seemingly no reason sometimes.

and a few idea for potential future upgrades/features.

Firstly, a separate identifier for the A_RailAttack or A_CustomRailgun types which removes stuff like "HE shots" (which doesn't work on railguns)
Secondly, some description for what stacking each perk affects.

Any
-Half ammo cost
-Double projectiles/shots/hits(melee)
-more painchance
-always gib (EXTREMEDEATH)
-ammo regen (or some other form of ammo sustain)

Hitscan
-gun becomes projectile weapon (custom generic projectile/fastprojectile? canceled out by hitscan specific picks)
-giant puffs + knockback (impact mod? same as projectile, transferrable)
-half fire-rate, double damage (multiplies with damage bonuses, unpickable if you get double fire-rate and viceversa)
-bullets become railgun shots

Projectile
-gun becomes hitscan weapon (projectile exclusive effects apply to puffs? cancelled out by homing/piercing etc.)
-bigger projectile + knockback (impact mod? same as hitscan, transferrable)
-double projectiles, half size, speed and damage.

Melee
-more reach/range
-explosive melee
-move speed up
Gourry
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Gourry »

Game crashed when using thunderbolt with lightning while using project brutality 3.0. Was playing this on gzdoom 4.8.2

Load order:
Afterglow_SterilizedV1_20.pk3
libtooltipmenu-0.2.1.pk3
GunBonsai-0.9.3.pk3
Project_Brutality-JMartinezBranch.zip
HXRTCHUD-PB3_v8.3RC3.pk3
target-spy-v2.0.1.pk3
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

Netheritor wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:02 pm I want that recharging shield too, but uh... Let's just say most upgrades in my mind is inspired by corruption cards.
Toggling the "use builtin actors for scavenge drops" setting might fix this; give it a try.
Nope, It doesn't. It didn't drop the mod amoo. I just want custom item, that's all. the invisible item works like other scavenge though, only giving 1 ammo.
MsrSgtShooterPerson wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:51 pm Any plans to have something like a chance to fire specific monster's projectile as a gun upgrade? Would be interesting to have something like the ability to fire and imp ball every 10 shots or even as a higher-order modifier for Submunitions or Fragmentation Shots - just like the monsters fire another monster's projectile card from Corruption Cards, any monster and player projectile can be considered as an independent random upgrade - projectiles with higher notable damage will show up with far lower frequency too? :D
That sounds difficult, but not impossible, and also really cool -- thanks for the idea!
Hm? You interested in that? I thought it's impossible, considering you can only upgrade the weapon, not the projectiles that being fired. I forgot about the 'on death enemy will spawn'.
Then; how about using another corrupted card idea, the one where it spawn sentry and fires enemy projectiles? In the case of this mod, it should spawn custom actor that fires the projectiles of the enemies being killed. Kinda like revivication but it's sentry / fixed position / can't move. The idea for upgrading that upgrade is the duration of the sentry.
Gourry wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:16 pm Game crashed when using thunderbolt with lightning while using project brutality 3.0. Was playing this on gzdoom 4.8.2

Load order:
Afterglow_SterilizedV1_20.pk3
libtooltipmenu-0.2.1.pk3
GunBonsai-0.9.3.pk3
Project_Brutality-JMartinezBranch.zip
HXRTCHUD-PB3_v8.3RC3.pk3
target-spy-v2.0.1.pk3
Hm? Another thing similar to me? Maybe thunderbolt has hidden bug after all. It will be quite difficult to find if that weapon has a lot of upgrades in it. Also, is it VM abort or really a crash?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”